U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Anifani, I thought you might like this, if you haven't already seen it.

Aurora borealis: Breathtaking views - CNN.com Video
Awwww! Thank you, Fran! No, I hadn't seen this and it is definitely worth seeing. Some nice commentary, too. I didn't realize different colors of lights were produced at different altitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,408,375 times
I have to admit having a bucket list but there are only two things on it.

1. Drive a Zamboni

2. Operate one of these:

Watch It Swallow An Entire Tree In Seconds : Krulwich Wonders... : NPR

Old 09-22-2014, 08:14 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,173,557 times
My bucket list has changed many times over my life.

I used to want to scuba dive, but then I got a hole in one eardrum. Good thing about that is my ear equalizes when flying and I never get pain.

I wanted to fly all the time when I was younger. Once I got older and saw what a hassle it is, especially after 9/11, I changed my mind.

I wanted a job in field service working on electronic equipment. That is one item I achieved.

I wanted to get a college degree, but after a lot of part time classes, I realized that I had the best job already and a degree would not improve my situation. Besides, with the job I have you never know when you will be working.

Now the bean counters, where I work, have taken over and the job is not so much fun anymore. More with less, etc. It's not enough that the equipment is working and the customers are happy. (The better you do your job in my line of work, the less work you have to do, so now they have to find more for you to do, until more than one customer has a problem at the same time and the screaming begins. Then it's my fault.)

Now my bucket list consists of getting enough debt reduced so I can afford to retire in less than two years. The only way that will happen is when my wife finally realizes our lifestyle needs to change for me to be happy.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,569,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

/The problem with a list is it can becoome something you feel you *have* to do, and don't really want to anymore so you feel like you failed somehow./
Sometimes it can feel that way, I suppose. In early life when you have all the time in the world that surely no burden. But later the years teach us not to hang on too tight I think. Don't you?

I started my Bucket List in fourth grade when I did a report on the Mayans and discovered Chichen Itza. I was going to climb that tall pyramid someday!

And by the time I finally got there they no longer allowed people to climb it. I support that. Erosion caused by humans is not a good thing. But it was a disappointment after carrying the dream so many years.

It also gave me feelings of hope and suspense for many years when I was younger. How much would I be able to accomplish of those special things which would please me? How would I make them happen?

Now there's a whole new attitude about that ever dwindling list. Other than two more large trips I'm down to smaller things like making a huge cheesecake in a spring form pan and teaching my next new kitten to ride in the car with me.

So I start to think, a bit superstitiously, Dang! What happens to you when you've done all the stuff on your Bucket List? Do I want to keep adding and start to build up possibly increasingly slim hope? Will I risk that (silly) fear of the hospital bed and missed opportunities? Silly because I suspect that, in some senses, it's unavoidable, Bucket List or not.

Well, I haven't ever had one written down and if someone asked me what all was on it, it would take a while to remember so I guess nothing's particularly nagging at me. I think a lot of it these days is spur of the moment and has become the way I make decisions about my daily life interactions.

It occurs to me that's probably the important Bucket List - the things I may regret not doing for or saying to people while I had the chance.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,264 times
Like a lot of people my wife and I were looking to some serious travelling in retirement. She's already been to quite a few places having spent much time in Europe when she was younger. Not for nothing as retirement inches closer the thought of travel seems a whole less appealling since it seems just about every corner of the planet has some serious problems.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,569,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Like a lot of people my wife and I were looking to some serious travelling in retirement. She's already been to quite a few places having spent much time in Europe when she was younger. Not for nothing as retirement inches closer the thought of travel seems a whole less appealling since it seems just about every corner of the planet has some serious problems.
Hah. Dreams are never the same as reality. But if you don't see a beggar or two, some pollution and a pack of starving, crippled dawgs you haven't experienced the "real deal."

Never thought the day would come when riding on an air-conditioned bus with a bunch of old people and being served the group tour lunch of bland food while I hope for a second to catch a nap in paradise would be on my Bucket List. But I think it's just around the corner.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 AM

10,813 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Not for nothing as retirement inches closer the thought of travel seems a whole less appealling since it seems just about every corner of the planet has some serious problems.
Every corner of the planet that's NOT suffering serious problems is overrun by other tourists.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:13 AM

8,614 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't really have a bucket list. I have pretty much done all the things I wanted to do thus far. If I haven't, they probably were not that important to me. The one thing I haven't done that I have wanted to do since I was a kid is to see aurora borealis. But meanwhile, since I don't know that I ever will actually be there to see the northern lights firsthand - I subscribe to a FB page where a group of folks post their photos and videos every evening - showing the light activity where they live! So I have that to look forward to every morning. :-)

Here's one of these types of websites:

03 | September | 2014 | Aurora Borealis Notifications

and here is a Fairbanks "aurora cam"

Alaska Aurora Cam - Northern Lights Webcam in Fairbanks, Alaska - Ronn Murray Photography & Tours
Pictures of the lights are 'nice'. Videos are way better but the ultimate is watching them live and in person. I lived in AK for two years and looked forward to this time of year just to see them. They are amazing, fabulous, awesome...words can't really say enough. It really isn't all that expensive to go there. Plane fare, hotel for a few (?) nights. Well worth it, I'd say. Not to mention that AK itself is spectacular. I do want to go back someday.

The one thing I still really want to do is go to Australia. That's where my mom is from and I have a lot of family there that I'd like to meet. That trip is one I don't really want to do alone though and I'll probably never get anyone to go with me. Not that they wouldn't want to but they can't afford it. I have a special savings account for it, and it's growing, so we'll see.

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 09-24-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 02:02 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I think "lists" of all sorts can lead people into a consumerist attitude- running around checking off required boxes instead of living in the present, whatever the present might be. There's the "1,000 places to see," or "50 top restaurants" or whatever. I have a vaguely Buddhist attitude towards these things and would find a bucket list counter to my effort to live in the present.

Like others, I also notice that some stuff I thought I'd want to do, well, I don't want to anymore. Or I did it. Or I did it and found it not so satisfying.

And the beat goes on.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think "lists" of all sorts can lead people into a consumerist attitude- running around checking off required boxes instead of living in the present, whatever the present might be. There's the "1,000 places to see," or "50 top restaurants" or whatever. I have a vaguely Buddhist attitude towards these things and would find a bucket list counter to my effort to live in the present.

Like others, I also notice that some stuff I thought I'd want to do, well, I don't want to anymore. Or I did it. Or I did it and found it not so satisfying.

And the beat goes on.
Sometime the best days are complete suprises.

I was out visiting the inlaws, and my fil shared ownership of a small sailboat. He asked if I'd liked to go. I hadn't even anticipted that, but it was such an awesome experience. The only time the motor was used was getting out of the harbor and retrurning to the slip. The rest of it was water and wind and silence. I'll never forget. I probably won't ever do it again, but it stands out like this shining day.

You don't have to plan or revisit those days. Sometimes trying just lessens the first time. It was like the time we climbed to the very top of Big Bear on the scary trail, unplanned and unanticipted and never repeated, but very meaningful because it never lost the 'special' about the day.

Joy is a wonderful thing and we don't get that much and we should hold onto it and savor every moment we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement