U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,711,399 times

Advertisements

I woke up this morning and read this. Had a great laugh. Maybe you'll find it funny too. (And maybe not. LOL)

Enjoy your day, Everyone! Probably one of the best things we can do is laugh at ourselves.

Forget the Stupid Bucket List and Just Say 'F#@* It!" 5 Things I Will Probably Never Do | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
That's great! The article expresses how I feel and it isn't a matter of being pessimistic, it's being realistic.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I woke up this morning and read this. Had a great laugh. Maybe you'll find it funny too. (And maybe not. LOL)

Enjoy your day, Everyone! Probably one of the best things we can do is laugh at ourselves.

Forget the Stupid Bucket List and Just Say 'F#@* It!" 5 Things I Will Probably Never Do | Alternet

Thanks Fran it is a day brightener.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:56 AM

986 posts, read 1,178,255 times
When I retired, I looked at my bucket list and found it still empty! Who needs a bucket list anyway!
I'm just a spontaneous type of fella or I just plan for anything what I may want to do within reason, now that I'm retired with plenty of time on my hands!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
My bucket list is modest, doable/affordable. One of them is to spend a week at Bar Harbor, which I'm finally getting to do next week. That should be pretty spectacular.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:10 PM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
Malaysia Air wishes it could forget its Bucket List contest.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:30 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Malaysia Air wishes it could forget its Bucket List contest.
LOL at the prizes!
Quote:
"a chance to win one of 12 economy class return tickets to Malaysia or an iPad."

Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,534,193 times
Some time ago I realizeed I was not going to go back to college. Not only did I not have the money but I don't have the energy either. And I have plenty of other things I do which make up for it. I actually know tons more about history now than I did when I changed my major. I didn't just quit learning when I decided I couldn't get the history degree right then.

So maybe I am following something on a bucket list, but not as I expected.

I'd also LOVe to have my name on a book. I don't think I'm going to get one published either, but I write fanfiction which is alternatve in nature and is mostly origional. I create my own world. I post it to, thought it tends to be LONG. And I just might write one and put it on amazon's new self pulblication site. Its still writing a book.

So writing a novel someone can read may not be exactly the same, but I have people who read my stories.

I faced reality a while ago that a lot of the things I want just aren't in the picture. And as I proved when I decided to move half way across the country, which sounded extremely daunting and didn't tell anyone until I'd figured out how, and DID move, if you really want it bad enough maybe you can. But you have to want it enough to sacrifice other things.

I'd love to be able to travel more, for instance, but then I have my pets (currently including a puppy who's in her terrible twos), and can't just go....

And really, if I was so unhappy about now then I'd be working harder to change it. My house is in half remedel right now. I need the door pokey is shreading (appaently made of a one by two and some foam and cardboard) replaced and a vent put in to improve air circulation but really want the rest to by my doing even if it takes a couple of years to paint.

The problem with a list is it can becoome something you feel you *have* to do, and don't really want to anymore so you feel like you failed somehow.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 2,711,399 times
How fortunate that you write, Nightbird. I really envy you. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with self-publishing on Amazon.

I've decided that moving back to Southern CA -- considering its drought, the earthquakes, the fires, and floods along the coast (not to mention the taxes) -- is just not wise. Not now and probably not in the near future. So I've put my name on the waiting list of a very upscale 55+ community (MUCH better than the previous one), and I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to grow old and die here. And that's all right. I'd rather die on some Southern CA beach but we don't get everything we want. And -- interesting -- I found a very nice B&B in DT San Diego, the price of which will allow me to visit every 4-6 months for 10-14 days each time. AND, because it's less expensive to live in NM, staying here will allow me to do other things. Such as -- I've always wanted to see Paris -- and England -- and Montreal -- and drive across Canada. While I'm scared to death to fly these days -- who knows -- I just might bite the bullet and do it. But, if not, I'm content with my life the way it has been and is. And I think that's more important than anything in our old age.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:31 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times
My buckets full of coal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement