U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 PM

1,981 posts, read 2,735,744 times

Advertisements

No -- when I go into a store, I catch a customer service rep's eye and smile -- genuinely smile. I get all the help I need. May not get it right away -- another customer may be being helped -- but then I am asked to wait a moment and he/she will be right with me. That's fine, I smile. No rush. I'm retired. And if that particular sales person can't answer my questions, he/she finds someone higher up who can.

I sometimes think its the 'vibes' we unconsciously give off. I'm basically happy, I'm happy to be in the store, and I know that sales persons are overworked and that they will help me as soon as they can.

Those of you who have known me on this board for a while probably don't believe me. LOL And I do somewhat understand why. LOLOLOLOLOL But it's true. I never, ever have a problem. In any store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 PM

6,872 posts, read 7,828,899 times
I kind of wonder if it has to do with retail economics. Many stores seem to be trying to get by with the bare minimum number of employees, and it seems impossible to find someone working the floor in more and more stores today.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,257,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Those of you who have known me on this board for a while probably don't believe me. LOL And I do somewhat understand why.
It's called AIS
Anonymous Internet Syndrome

As for "Do you get ignored when shopping?" ...the few times it has happened was because the sales clerks were more interested in each other than the customers.

And I told the manager what I experienced, on the way out of the store.
In a nice way.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,017,552 times
At my Apple Store here I go in and they are so courteous. I actually get a lot of extras for free maybe b/c of my age (I do have an Apple Plan). They always ask if I want a seat. I have to laugh at the "toddler table" where 2-year-olds are going at it on the electronics.

As for other stores, the only time I might get a slow response is in a shoe department, mostly because there are so few employees these days.

At any rate, the squeaking wheel gets heard. Raise your cane and command the young whippersnappers to attention.

Last edited by RiverBird; 09-04-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 05:44 PM

10,586 posts, read 14,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I kind of wonder if it has to do with retail economics. Many stores seem to be trying to get by with the bare minimum number of employees, and it seems impossible to find someone working the floor in more and more stores today.
Likely this, we now have 2-3 people working in place of the 4-6 people we used to have. No one for customer service on the sales floor unless you happen to catch them in between other things. To make the stockholders happy with profits you know!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:55 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,605,361 times
Not in the store that's been mentioned but in another one some time ago I found that if I stood by the huge LCD TVs that cost a fortune I got quicker attention. Then once we had it, I turned and asked about the other, smaller, item I really was interested in.

The one place you never have to worry about getting attention? Sears appliances. I veer far away from there.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:58 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,497,582 times
Rarely go into Best Buy, not because of their customer service, but because since Circuit City closed, their prices haven't been competitive. I get most of my personal technology at Fry's or off the net.

I've never been discriminated against because of my age. It could be because I've been at the forefront of technology since the late 70's when I built my first computer. In those days, you don't "assemble" a computer from parts off the shelf. . . you have to solder the components onto the circuit boards. Since then, my work at NASA has kept me on the leading edge of technology.

I've found the local Apple store to have fantastic customer service. "My" store has someone assigned near the front door and asks everybody who come in the door how they can be helped. The only way I can get into the back of the store where the consumables are sold is to tell the 'greeter' that I don't need help, "I'm just looking". Then, when I find what I want, I approach someone in a blue shirt, and if he or she can't help me, the get on their little radios and gets someone who can.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,196,137 times
I had this same problem with Best Buy last month. I went in planning to buy a new 50+" TV. I did my research ahead of time and knew the models that I wanted to see. First I was ignored completely for over 10 minutes. Then when I went up to two employees just chatting, they acted like I was interrupting a world peace conference. When I asked to see the models there was a lot of sighing and reluctantly one of them showed me what I wanted. They were not very informed about their products and had to read information off the display card.
I finally got so disgusted I asked to see a manager. One was found but the results were basically the same, disinterest and lack of product knowledge.
I left without making a purchase and wrote a snail mail letter to the company headquarters.
This morning I received an email apology and a store credit for $50.
Sorry, they missed the boat, I bought my TV somewhere else.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 PM

13,908 posts, read 25,378,245 times
Interesting thread. I live in Vegas and we have lots of retired folk here. And don't forget I'm old too. Many older people feel invisible and truth be told many service workers don't like helping older people. Why? We have a reputation for being cheap and poor tippers. We don't make impulse purchases and tend to spend wisely when prices are at their lowest. They can't 'sell' us anything. And unfortunately those poorly paid workers at Best Buy perceive older customers to be Luddites who will take up their time but never understand the products well enough to make a purchase.

Their loss. In this poor economy I believe retired people have more disposable income than most. But we do refuse to spend it foolishly!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,605,361 times
Sort of along the same lines, but not electronics shopping, has anyone else felt ignored or discriminated against on seating in a restaurant? Here's what happened to us last spring while away from home dealing with family business in another state. We went to a restaurant that is a well known franchise across the country that is probably better known for the younger set, you know, big bar area in the middle of the place. We were seated way in the back even though there were plenty of empty booths along the side and towards the front. As we ate, we noticed another "older" couple, as well as a family also seated back in our area, still plenty of open booths up front. The bar area was hopping as it was during the hockey playoffs. As we left we made a comment about the appearance of age discrimination, and basically got a blank stare from the hostess. It did make us wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement