U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 AM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,193,877 times
Reputation: 17200

Advertisements

Oh boo hoo college grads working retail. There's been a job crisis 6 years since Obama's FIRST election way before they even started college....hello? Like every single real estate agent on the planet needing a REAL JOB.

One of my best retail experiences was buying a FRIDGE in Best Buy of all places...last year. The guy was a middle aged Hispanic guy who drives about 45 minutes to work. He spent a good hour on that sale and is non commission. You could tell he is enthusiastic about working. (BB is non commission)

OTOH I've been in the computer department 3 times lately and they're all young guys wandering around aimlessly pretending to be busy. Avoiding eye contact at all costs.

Yes if I snag one, they'll answer my question or look something up.

At PUBLIX grocery store they always volunteer to help, greet you, acknowledge you in the isles, and if you ask a question and they WALK YOU to find the item and make sure you're happy. They also make the baggers drive your cart out to the car and unload your stuff.

It's a WORK CULTURE. They also are part "owners".

You go to my former employer Verizon store and they'll run each other DOWN to help you with huge smiles on their faces. They can make BIG BUCKS at those stores. SALES.

It's hilarious that the PUBLIC fails to recognize these simple facts. HAND SOMEONE MONEY and the large PERCENTAGE of them don't appreciate it. Those who want to work and have pride will advance.

Yesterday I was in a mattress store paying for a new mattress at the desk ....and two girls pulled up in a car and came in separately like we were stupid and couldn't see they were taking turns.

They asked for a BUSINESS CARD and the guy said we don't have them.

Are you HIRING?

YES go online and apply.

Well, I need PROOF I applied. I need a business card.

I go "Hey are you even too lazy to fill out a stupid application online to get your unemployment check?"

And shame on FLORIDA for accepting a BUSINESS CARD for unemployment????

I do NOT want to hear it considering the McDonalds next door is a nightmare with being UNDERSTAFFED and it took me 45 minutes to get served, got the wrong thing TWICE, and the WRONG CHANGE when I wanted a refund.

By people demanding $15 per hr to do a crappy job.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-06-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2014, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
17,628 posts, read 11,166,763 times
Reputation: 37671
Runwithscissors is right about Publix.........we always hold them up as an example of how businesses should treat customers when we discuss this subject. Their people go out of their way to take you to the product you are looking for (instead of pointing to aisle 5), they will take their time to tell you how to use some food product, especially meat or fish, and their management people are always on their feet, watching to make sure people are being served well.

I think they try to be good citizens too and they seem to look out for their employees. For example, they post signs that they will be closed on certain holidays so their people can spend time with their families. A lot of retailers today treat Christmas and Thanksgiving like any other day and really don't care if their people have to work.

I know I spend a little more at Publix, but the stores are clean, the meat is good, and I get good service. People are sometimes willing to pay more if they get good value in all the other areas.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Reputation: 10950
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That makes sense -- about the luxury item vs. "needed" item, especially. People 50 and under do not consider a computer, smart phone, good headphones, peripheral drives, etc a luxury. They really aren't. They are communication tools and for most folks, necessary items in re: to work/business as well as lifestyle.

As far as "taking up time," tho . . . yeah, I am sure people can get worn out with all the questions and maybe even the need to be very elementary in their explanations, but that IS what folks are hired to do - answer questions as well as sell products. But I do get your point.
To me, those things are still "luxuries". When I consider getting something I take forever to decide whether I should or not because of that mindset. For two years I've been looking at 40" flat screen TVs. Wouldn't buy it because my TV was just fine. My computer...argggh. It's been bad to terrible for a long time and my brother told me I really need a new one. Then my internet was out for a week, and the TV went out too! So, I now have a new 40" flat screen and computer. Since I'm not going away for vacation this year I am using the money already allocated for that so no debt, etc..

In defense of the TV and phone companies, I have to admit that my equipment was waaay out of date so can't really blame them for my 'difficulties'. Although I HAVE cussed them both a lot over the years. lol I had the TV receiver for six years and the internet modem for ten years so it was time... Now I'm all updated and feeling better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 10:45 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I agree that is for sure part of the problem. No one graduates college with the dream of working retail.
When I'm shopping with the actual intent to spend some of our money I really don't care about the staff's problems. Those should be left at their homes when they leave for their J-O-Bs. There are still plenty who would love to have one.

I decidedly don't get ignored because I'm not the least bit shy about demanding service if it appears to be lacking. Why should I be? There are certain advantages to being a grumpy old man when necessary and warranted.

People of any age are only ignored in retail establishments if they permit themselves to be. Don't do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 11:19 AM
 
29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Reputation: 11681
I think part of the problem with Best Buy and some other big box stores is the staff trying to sort out who is looking because they are considering buying at Best Buy and who is looking so they can decide what to order from Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think part of the problem with Best Buy and some other big box stores is the staff trying to sort out who is looking because they are considering buying at Best Buy and who is looking so they can decide what to order from Amazon.
If they treated everyone like the former they'd likely have more sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 PM
 
29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Reputation: 11681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If they treated everyone like the former they'd likely have more sales.
Absolutely because guessing wrong is a lost sale. But BB so often are kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 03:56 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Absolutely because guessing wrong is a lost sale. But BB so often are kids.
Not a valid excuse and just means their standards and training are deficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 05:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,852 posts, read 3,379,235 times
Reputation: 7738
Never been ignored. Money speaks louder than age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 PM
 
223 posts, read 274,361 times
Reputation: 443
I'm African American... I'm never ignored in a store! I might get watched, followed or hassled from the moment that I enter until the time that I leave, but no one ever ignores me. I guess that's why I prefer to shop online!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top