U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:04 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,276,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Oh boo hoo college grads working retail. There's been a job crisis 6 years since Obama's FIRST election way before they even started college....hello? Like every single real estate agent on the planet needing a REAL JOB.

One of my best retail experiences was buying a FRIDGE in Best Buy of all places...last year. The guy was a middle aged Hispanic guy who drives about 45 minutes to work. He spent a good hour on that sale and is non commission. You could tell he is enthusiastic about working. (BB is non commission)

OTOH I've been in the computer department 3 times lately and they're all young guys wandering around aimlessly pretending to be busy. Avoiding eye contact at all costs.

Yes if I snag one, they'll answer my question or look something up.

At PUBLIX grocery store they always volunteer to help, greet you, acknowledge you in the isles, and if you ask a question and they WALK YOU to find the item and make sure you're happy. They also make the baggers drive your cart out to the car and unload your stuff.

It's a WORK CULTURE. They also are part "owners".

You go to my former employer Verizon store and they'll run each other DOWN to help you with huge smiles on their faces. They can make BIG BUCKS at those stores. SALES.

It's hilarious that the PUBLIC fails to recognize these simple facts. HAND SOMEONE MONEY and the large PERCENTAGE of them don't appreciate it. Those who want to work and have pride will advance.

Yesterday I was in a mattress store paying for a new mattress at the desk ....and two girls pulled up in a car and came in separately like we were stupid and couldn't see they were taking turns.

They asked for a BUSINESS CARD and the guy said we don't have them.

Are you HIRING?

YES go online and apply.

Well, I need PROOF I applied. I need a business card.

I go "Hey are you even too lazy to fill out a stupid application online to get your unemployment check?"

And shame on FLORIDA for accepting a BUSINESS CARD for unemployment????

I do NOT want to hear it considering the McDonalds next door is a nightmare with being UNDERSTAFFED and it took me 45 minutes to get served, got the wrong thing TWICE, and the WRONG CHANGE when I wanted a refund.

By people demanding $15 per hr to do a crappy job.
I agree (except for Publix, never shopped there)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 08:34 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,656,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Never been ignored. Money speaks louder than age.
This. I benefit from living in an area that has a lot of retired captains of industry. The customer service in stores is excellent. Even for those of us who crewed the tug boat.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:14 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Well if your ignored in Apple store then something is wrong is all I can say from have goning in several different ones.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 AM

15,224 posts, read 8,523,201 times
...maybe the fact that you're shopping in a brick-and-mortar establishment? I never buy electronics unless it's online because the prices and selection is so much better. About the only reason to go to a store is to try out the keyboard? Otherwise easier to comparison shop online - and no snotty clerks to deal with!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:21 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well if your ignored in Apple store then something is wrong is all I can say from have goning in several different ones.
Agree. I don't typically go into the Apple stores here unless I have made an appointment with a Tech. I order directly from Mac, but I occasionally go in if they have what I want on site. I get nothing but exceptional service any time I am dealing with Apple products, whether on the phone or in person.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:14 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
Having been in the business for a number of years, culminating with running my own computer consulting business, I get a kick out of letting some kid start explaining everything to me like I'm a complete noob.

Then I start asking questions they can't answer.

lmao!

Mrs. Tek just rolls her eyes. Mostly because she too can answer the questions. We're just a couple of old(er) geeks.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,174,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Having been in the business for a number of years, culminating with running my own computer consulting business, I get a kick out of letting some kid start explaining everything to me like I'm a complete noob.

Then I start asking questions they can't answer.

lmao!

Mrs. Tek just rolls her eyes. Mostly because she too can answer the questions. We're just a couple of old(er) geeks.

And that makes you feel good somehow ?? Why tie up an employee when all you are trying to do is show off your superior knowledge ? And what exactly do you expect a kid, who is earning about minimum wage, to know about those products ?

When I get someone like you, who thinks they know it all, I just tell them it looks like they don't need my help and then I walk away. Go to work in one of those places and then report back on what a great job it is........I will be waiting.

Don

Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
Perhaps you are unable to comprehend the meaning of what I wrote. I'll not bother to enlighten you.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 PM

750 posts, read 1,266,894 times
Yes, I have been ignored. Perfect opportunities to shoplift, as shown in the Six Feet Under episode.

I was reminded of it a year or so ago in a local bakery that also sells gourmet stuff and pre-made frozen and hot "ready to eat" type meals.

I was standing in line at the counter to pay for my purchases. When I reached the counter, expecting the young clerk to ring up my order, she smiles brightly at the guy behind me in line and says "Oh, hi!" and proceeds to reach over my shoulder for his order, add it up, and take his money. Then she reaches back to give him his change.

I stand there like a lump, incredulous.

So she looks at me, like "Ok, I'm ready for you now" and I could not help myself, I swear.

I smiled brightly at her and said (quite loudly) "Oh My God! The diet's working! I have become invisible!" The people behind me, who'd seen this all go down, laughed out loud.

I walked away and left my stuff on the counter. I've never been back.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:11 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,271,121 times
Those sales people should realize older folks have a heck of a lot more money to spend than the youngsters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement