U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,280,092 times

Advertisements

Wish that I had more of sales persons ignoring me. Pushy clerks can be irritating. Almost always know what I need and want when shopping, and only desire help when unable to quickly find the item or when paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:11 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Yes, I have been ignored. Perfect opportunities to shoplift, as shown in the Six Feet Under episode.

I was reminded of it a year or so ago in a local bakery that also sells gourmet stuff and pre-made frozen and hot "ready to eat" type meals.

I was standing in line at the counter to pay for my purchases. When I reached the counter, expecting the young clerk to ring up my order, she smiles brightly at the guy behind me in line and says "Oh, hi!" and proceeds to reach over my shoulder for his order, add it up, and take his money. Then she reaches back to give him his change.

I stand there like a lump, incredulous.

So she looks at me, like "Ok, I'm ready for you now" and I could not help myself, I swear.

I smiled brightly at her and said (quite loudly) "Oh My God! The diet's working! I have become invisible!" The people behind me, who'd seen this all go down, laughed out loud.

I walked away and left my stuff on the counter. I've never been back.
Good line, and who could quarrel with your not returning to that place? The only thing missing would have been to tell the manager or supervisor about that clerk.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:36 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,546,296 times
Put me on the list who'd rather be ignored. When I shop I come armed with a list, and I do my normal pattern. I pick up things I need which aren't on the list but would go somewhere else if a grocery store had someone wanting to help. I'm perfectly happy on a solo shopping trip. A lot of times I'm looking for something I can use somewhere else too, and with that I check out various departments. Maybe I'm looking for a shape. One of the reasons I like shopping walmart is nobody bothers you.

Once we got a girl in trouble since while we stood by the checkout waiting to ask a question, then told her we'd be waiting over there, for fifteen minutes while she was on the phone. When she did get off the phone, we said sorry, we'd go somewhere the help wanted to help. Then the manager came over and asked if we were having a problem and we explained she had been having a personal conversation and we decided we didn't want to wait any longer. He offered to help us himself but we still left. I'm pretty sure she needed a new job the next day.

I like stores where there is someone there to serve you if you go up and ask but don't need or want to be greeted and guided.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 AM

28,240 posts, read 39,895,668 times
Many moons ago I worked retail for a few years. The man that trained us taught us (small store square foot-wise) to always look around when a customer came in the door. If everyone was busy with other customers we told them we would be witn them as soon as someone was free. When we approached a customer and they didn't want help we told them to ask if they changed their mind and left them alone. Granted, it was easier in a smaller store, but the principles still apply.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:41 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
I have been ignored at an electronics store when I was with a male friend even though we told the salesman we were shopping for me. The salesman kept addressing my friend who kept telling him I was the purchaser and I was wanted the information. All of a sudden it dawned on the salesman I was becoming more and more annoyed with him. He looked at me and said, "I lost this sale, didn't I?"

My friend said "You're right about that."

We went to another store where the salesman sold the DVD player to me addressing me all the while as my friend stood and watched. I was in my thirties at the time so it wasn't an age thing. I think it happens to women all the time in areas where men are supposed to be more knowledgable. It's probably the the reverse for the fellows in areas in which women are supposed to reign.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:29 AM

19,800 posts, read 19,900,285 times
Wow! I'm glad to see somebody mentioned auto dealerships and grocery stores.
It was beginning to look like the only thing seniors shop is for electronics!
I love going to Home Depot. I usually end up accumulating 3 to 5 employees trailing along with me. It's a lot of fun.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:37 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Quote:
Wow! I'm glad to see somebody mentioned auto dealerships
1980:
Me: I want to buy a car. I'll be paying cash.
Salesman looks at my soon-to-be husband and says: Well, what would you like to buy the little lady?
I turned around and walked out.

It's better now. When I went to buy my truck, the salesman talked only to me.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:51 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
1980:
Me: I want to buy a car. I'll be paying cash.
Salesman looks at my soon-to-be husband and says: Well, what would you like to buy the little lady?
I turned around and walked out.

It's better now. When I went to buy my truck, the salesman talked only to me.
Ugh! I always hated it when I was married and someone referred to me as "the little lady." I am by no means "little," never have been. It's such an insult even if you are little.

I don't think a salesman would say to a female customer accompanying a male, "What would you like to buy the big man?" unless maybe he was being condescending towards a male child.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:34 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,895,668 times
When we first married we went to JC Penney to add me to the wife's credit card. It had to be in my name. Idiots didn't realize, or care, that I had no credit rating. Until then I paid cash for everything.

Boy did they ever **** off the Mrs. And they lost a lot of our business as a result.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,597,931 times
We just did furniture shopping for the first time in years and I was really dreading it. Guess retail sales has learned because most places it was pleasant and the sales person made contact but then left us alone. One place which we didn't like the furniture or quality was huge and we were almost through it before someone came by. Left there soon afterwards. Another place the young gal was flakey, left us alone but didn't do anything to help herself and we weren't impressed overall. The store we ended up buying from, the sales person did a good job of appearing when needed, giving us background information, then leaving us. Maybe retail has learned not to tail or attack when you enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement