Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:11 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times

Advertisements

A friend sent this to me and it makes a person think.

"Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. But we never hear about welfare
or food stamps running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:37 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Anyone who was paying attention would have known about the changes to SS and how it would affect middle to late Boomers and beyond generations.

Basically for those born from 1943 to 1954 received more, much more in SS benefits because of longer average lifespans. That is they no longer retired at 65 or 66 and were dead by age 70 or so. To address this issue and also the fact many seniors choose to remain in the work force longer the SS benefit age is going up. While it may be *only* sixty-seven for those born in the 1960's or later it is almost certain sooner or later to reach seventy. Perhaps for those born after say 1965 or 1970.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:49 PM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
One of the nice perks is that social security payments have never been adjusted downward to reflect longer life expectancy.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

"Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. But we never hear about welfare
or food stamps running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't."
Far from true in either case,so much so that while it sounds good it couldn't be more wrong about who did what.

Spousal benefits pay spouses ss who may never have worked.

There are those who worked their entire lives and fell on hard times and are now on welfare.
The lower wage income earners get more out of ss then they contributed by working in proportion to each other.

Food stamps in many states can not be had without working a job.

The list goes on and on.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-06-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 05:36 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

Good point. Something to think about

Old 09-06-2014, 06:00 PM

Except it is not true.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Far from true in either case,so much so that while it sounds good it couldn't be more wrong about who did what.

Spousal benefits pay spouses ss who may never have worked.

There are those who worked their entire lives and fell on hard times and are now on welfare.
The lower wage income earners get more out of ss then they contributed by working in proportion to each other.

Food stamps in many states can not be had without working a job.

The list goes on and on.
"Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. But we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money (a spouse who remained home and raised the family WORKED for the benefit same as the person who went to the job site. Or are you talking about the kids who collect it from their dead parent(s)? Or is it the person who jumped on disability from SS? In those cases someone usually worked in the family.), but the second didn't." I guess in some cases, this last part might be incorrect, but the majority of those on welfare never worked long enough to pay taxes or even worked at all.

As for food stamps (which I might add are no longer called food stamps), tell me what state absolutely refuses food stamps to a family if they don't work? If you mean that some states make a person look for work to obtain food stamps, I will agree. Does not mean the person actually "worked" to obtain this benefit.

And yes, the list goes on and one. How about the illegal who drops a baby in the USA and can now get section 8 housing and FOOD stamps for the anchor baby while not paying one cent in any Federal income taxes. They will probably spend some money on sales taxes, depending on the state they live in. Or the free healthcare they have received and will continue to receive.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Except it is not true.

Wow, my post must have hit a raw nerve

I will stop here....since if I don't I will be banned from this site.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 PM

While i love new sayings like that, if they really are not factually true they lose their meaning.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
One of the nice perks is that social security payments have never been adjusted downward to reflect longer life expectancy.
Existing payments...true. But it is not due to the love for the seniors, it is due to the fact seniors are a tried and true voting block. That will change in a few years as they start dying out. Will the government then keep the same track, or will they swerve to meet the younger generations idea that SS is just another form of welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement