Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times

Advertisements

Assuming you are retiring and will be moving out of your current state to another.

Would you more likely purchase twice the house for half the price in an area that isn't all that exciting or dynamic . . . or would you move to half the house for twice the price that is in an area with fantastic scenery and natural beauty? Assume the climates are similar.

For example, a 10-20 year old house for $150k in an area you are not all that excited about or a 30-40 year old house for $250k that is in an area with varied and dynamic scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
MUST have the view!!! and access to outdoors (farm kid) and ez access to airport and colleges. As a retiree, you can really enjoy a view!!!

I go for a shop with a dandy apartment and a gorgeous view. (Low taxes, plenty of space)
https://www.google.co.th/search?q=ca...w=1272&bih=596

Works for me... I rent out the main house so someone is there to mow / water / keep on eye on my stuff and feed my dog. I stay for free (with a subsidy for utilities... about ZERO since my rural properties are on well and septic and use wood and solar to heat)

I keep these places within 1 hr of airport so I can commute on a moments notice, and for under $100 EachWay Can't drive too far for $100... (a cheap diesel car and econo 500cc+ motorcycle live at each place). I like venturing around based on climate and local activities.

Currently: (all have excellent view, cheap CoL, College town nearby, and I can bonk a deer on the head if I get desperate for food, but cows available too! ez'r to bonk)
PNW, (June - Sept... fresh salmon and berries) GREAT summer sleeping temps, NO AC
CO, (Shoulder season for Aspen / skiing / bicycling)
Hill Country TX (Oct - May) Christmas lights, bluebonnets and BBQ!
Each place has cost basis under $100k and each renting for over $1k/month (= cash flow for this frugal retiree)
When I get old and senile, I will sell them on contract (better cash flow)

Definitely NOT more house... 800 - 1200SF is adequate house... shop... 5,000SF is a good start, 20,000sf preferred

Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
... half the house for twice the price that is in an area with fantastic scenery and natural beauty?

… a 30-40 year old house for $250k that is in an area with varied and dynamic scenery.
Easy question, I'll take that one. Where is it?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:30 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
A house/lot with a scenic view is worth more in value that without. For example we have a house on a lot with a lake view and the latest estimated value is $500,000+. The exact same house inland with no view and closer neighbors sells for around $!50,000.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Easy question, I'll take that one. Where is it?
definitely WY, ID, or MT for OP!!! (Good choice as a single guy...) or with a TOUGH woman at your side.

Tough and beautiful >>TALL<< farm women available in nearby ND!

Tall is handy, so you can find her in a snow drift, while you are out calving. (some of the finer times of sharing farm life together)

Old 09-02-2014, 05:55 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,883 times
For me, the whole idea behind relocating when I retire (in about 7 years) is to get half the house for half the money. Downsizing, to simplify things and take in some savings. A good location is important, but we want no part of a bigger or more expensive house at this point.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
For me, the whole idea behind relocating when I retire (in about 7 years) is to get half the house for half the money. Downsizing, to simplify things and take in some savings. A good location is important, but we want no part of a bigger or more expensive house at this point.
My plan as well.

The other huge thing in making a location choice is what is there to do there. Gorgeous scenery gets taken for granted after a while. You can live in Paradise and be miserably bored. What is there to do in the evenings and on weekends, year-round?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
I'd go with the house that has beautiful scenery. I wake up everyday and feel blessed to be where I am. It's great seeing natural beauty around you.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'd go with the house that has beautiful scenery. I wake up everyday and feel blessed to be where I am. It's great seeing natural beauty around you.
I'm with you. I bought my house for the scenery and wildlife along with the peace and quiet. I sometimes don't leave my property for two or three weeks at a time. I'm so glad that the expiration on dairy products has become longer.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Twice the house, for half the price, surrounded by fantastic scenery and natural beauty.

That was what we did.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement