U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,316,043 times

Advertisements

I still remember the heartbreak and gnashing of teeth when my parents had to stop driving. It was like death to them. To never again just be able to go. To run to the store, pharmacy, or doctor's office. And having to inconvenience others to accomplish even the simplest daily chores. It was the end of self determination.

The self driving car would have been a great thing for them and I'm happy it will be there when I need help driving.

But I also enjoy driving and it's something I will miss. OTOH I remember all too well my decades of 100 mile a day commutes. It would have been great to nap or watch TV while the car took me to work and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Did any of you attend the '64 World's Fair in New York? One of the exhibits that impressed me the most was a prototype car, the "Aurora." What was as fascinating (to me) as the layout of the car itself was the billing that it would use a global positioning system, integrated into highways/streets, and essentially "drive itself."

I have tried for years to find articles about the Aurora, but info is scant. The color of the car was indescribable and the photos do not do it justice. It was a silvery pale apricot that sparkled under the lights . . . I was entranced.

This article has a nice write-up on the car, its interior and it does show the GPS in one photo. I waited for years hoping to see this car released to the public (and kept waiting to find out how GPS would be integrated into our roads/highways). Fifty years later, I do hope we will eventually have a system that allows for such "hands free" driving - AS AN OPTION. I just worry about the glitches!

Maybe you will enjoy looking at these photos of the Aurora as much as I enjoyed reminiscing about my trip to NYC and seeing this amazing car "in person" as a child.

Old Cars Canada: 1964 Ford Aurora

Old 09-08-2014, 09:28 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Did any of you attend the '64 World's Fair in New York? One of the exhibits that impressed me the most was a prototype car, the "Aurora." What was as fascinating (to me) as the layout of the car itself was the billing that it would use a global positioning system, integrated into highways/streets, and essentially "drive itself."

I have tried for years to find articles about the Aurora, but info is scant. The color of the car was indescribable and the photos do not do it justice. It was a silvery pale apricot that sparkled under the lights . . . I was entranced.

This article has a nice write-up on the car, its interior and it does show the GPS in one photo. I waited for years hoping to see this car released to the public (and kept waiting to find out how GPS would be integrated into our roads/highways). Fifty years later, I do hope we will eventually have a system that allows for such "hands free" driving - AS AN OPTION. I just worry about the glitches!

Maybe you will enjoy looking at these photos of the Aurora as much as I enjoyed reminiscing about my trip to NYC and seeing this amazing car "in person" as a child.

I wonder what happened to it? This is the first time I have seen it. The GPS is pretty darn close to the real thing!

My SO lived in NYC and went to the fair many times. He remembers the car and the Ford Pavilion.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I wonder what happened to it? This is the first time I have seen it. The GPS is pretty darn close to the real thing!

My SO lived in NYC and went to the fair many times. He remembers the car and the Ford Pavilion.
Well into the 70s, my Dad and I would talk about the Aurora and wonder if there would ever come the day that the car would be unveiled. Since then, of course, we have all seen many of the features in that prototype incorporated into various autos.

The paint color itself was soooo different at the time! And even though we have seen all sorts of variations on a wide spectrum of paint colors since 1964, I have never seen anything exactly like that silvery apricot metallic paint on the Aurora.

Nice to know your SO remembers the pavilion and how exciting it was! I could have spent weeks at the World's Fair -- it was truly a trip of a lifetime, especially at such a tender age. I had been into Manhattan before (we had family we visited in both PA and NJ, so it was easy enough to get into NYC from their houses) but this trip sealed my fate--love NYC to this day.

And I will never forget seeing the Aurora and dreaming about cars that "drove themselves" while we all lounged in the rear, lol.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,259,322 times
My worry is: if hackers will hack into a baby monitor and talk to your child, what will prevent people from hacking into your car and driving you some place else?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,574,718 times
I think the long-term concerns are a bit overblown, to be honest. We send space shuttles to the moon, unmanned rovers to Mars, airplanes practically fly themselves--all things done by technology.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:54 AM

649 posts, read 554,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
It's a great idea, but I would expect the technology to come from Europe and be tested there first ... not a US automaker (especially not GM).
Almost all new cars in Europe have everything except the self steering now. As another poster noted, a lot of our systems already do this, cars are just the next step on the technology trail.

I love driving, but hate those that don't recognize the simple fact that their car is a 2 ton weapon.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:29 AM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
My worry is: if hackers will hack into a baby monitor and talk to your child, what will prevent people from hacking into your car and driving you some place else?
If I was worried about stuff like this, I wouldn't have any of those new-fangled telephone thingies in my life. And a radio? No way! They're gonna' listen in on me

Yeah, there's a risk with new technology. But there's a risk with new anything. We seem to be surviving OK.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:36 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,139,200 times
As someone who drives a motorcycle, I am of two minds on this. Seniors scare the crap out of me, and are responsible for most of my close calls. Then again, a self driving car doesn't appeal to me either, all I need is that thing to fail and send the car sideways into me with no warning, or not "see" me, etc.

I'll reserve judgment until I know more about it, could be a great thing if the technology is good. We manage to not crash airplanes on a daily basis and those things are insanely complex.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:14 PM

8,792 posts, read 5,653,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Hi-Tech Back In the Day: GPS, 1964 Version
Ford Aurora - Archive - Motor Trend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or