Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:57 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times

Advertisements

Bah Humbug. I'll ride a skateboard before driving one of these techie toys. I like to be and feel in control, and my now nearly ten year old automobile, deliberately chosen at the time for it's lack of so called features which I considered useless and unnecessary, does NOT have any of the following:
Gps.
Cruise control.
Power windows.
Power remote keyless door locks.
Power or heated seats.
Power sunroof.
Power anything not mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Thinking further about this, I think a self driving car will have to be incredibly expensive. Not only will the cost for liability be extraordinarily high at first, I would also think that the guts that make it self driving will have to be redundant AND not only fail-safe but also fail-over safe.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:49 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Bah Humbug. I'll ride a skateboard before driving one of these techie toys. I like to be and feel in control, and my now nearly ten year old automobile, deliberately chosen at the time for it's lack of so called features which I considered useless and unnecessary, does NOT have any of the following:
Gps.
Cruise control.
Power windows.
Power or heated seats.
Power sunroof.

You forgot to mention cooled seats and heated steering wheel. Not to mention the auto rearview dimming, heated exterior mirrors, adaptive headlights, 384 watt 11 speaker stereo, and heads up display.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Rear view camera as well. Lane change warning. Auto braking, etc.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
features which I considered useless and unnecessary
Cruise control.
Power windows.
Power or heated seats.
Power sunroof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
You forgot to mention cooled seats and heated steering wheel. Not to mention the auto rearview dimming, heated exterior mirrors, adaptive headlights, 384 watt 11 speaker stereo, and heads up display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Rear view camera as well. Lane change warning. Auto braking, etc.
Power steering, power brakes, automatic transmission, intermittent windshield wipers, rear window defrost? Where do you draw the line?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
This control freak, worry-wart has never even trusted his rear-view mirror, or side mirrors, and imagine the horrified look on my face behind the wheel of one of these high-tech cars!!!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
This control freak, worry-wart has never even trusted his rear-view mirror, or side mirrors, and imagine the horrified look on my face behind the wheel of one of these high-tech cars!!!
I tend to agree and having given this much thought, here's what I've got.

The past couple of years I've gradually learned that my GPS is indeed smarter than me when it comes to traffic conditions, hazard alerts, road directions, intersections, etc. That's not to say it's perfect, but overall it's pretty darn good.
My 2009 Subaru is frills-free but DH has been driving awhile with back-up assist, lane change warnings, etc., and they also work pretty darn good, much better than I would ever have thought.

I can accept that automatic steering, navigation, maneuvering, and some degree of automated decision-making might work in routine traffic. But when it comes to defensive driving, I want to be in control. When I'm approaching a stoplight, I want to be able to scan oncoming traffic for **potential** problems; when traveling the interstate, I want to be vigilant for other vehicles that show signs of straying.

I agree with other posters that in an environment where *every* car is equipped with sensors and systems that function and are maintained properly, driverless cars could work. That's not likely to happen in my lifetime.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I still drive a 30YO car and I love it to death, the simplicity! But when I go out of town, fearing a breakdown, I always rent a car! So imagine! My going from a 30YO car to a brand new car today!

Imagine how comedic it was when I got behind the wheel of my first keyless ignition car! Yup! Running to a Hertz agent and? "Would you please give me a car that's not so complicated!!! I don't even know how to get this car started!!!"

And these screens below the dashboard to give you a view of what's behind you when exiting a parking space!!! If I don't trust a rear-view mirror, do you think I'd trust this screen to prevent my backing into a car in the parking lot?

And all those gadgets everywhere, and on the steering wheel! Too afraid to even find out what each button is for! One button may be the emergency brake?

I'm 64, and in my retirement years I plan to retire from car-driving as well!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If I don't trust a rear-view mirror, do you think I'd trust this screen to prevent my backing into a car in the parking lot?
Don't know what model car you rented but ca 2014 backup cameras are seriously superior to rear-view mirrors. So much so that they should be mandatory if they're not already.
My 2009 car doesn't have a backup camera, DH's 2015 model does and it's the feature I most envy.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:55 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Don't know what model car you rented but ca 2014 backup cameras are seriously superior to rear-view mirrors. So much so that they should be mandatory if they're not already.
My 2009 car doesn't have a backup camera, DH's 2015 model does and it's the feature I most envy.

I agree. I have a backup cam and the screen it displays on is a very small tv size 8" diameter. It does not mean I disregard the three other mirrors in the car. It just actually allows me to fully enter backwards to a parking spot and not hitting the wall, tree, car, cement car stop, or other hazard getting to within inches if I desire.

As for the complete dependance on a driverless car it will be a few years yet. Understand that this is still in development. Let's say for the sake of argument 10 years hence that you are faced with the very real possiblility of having to give up your independence to drive or given the resource to purchase your independence I for one would choose the latter. It is especially important to anyone that lives in a small city with limitted public transportation and would have to depend on friend or the expensive alternative of taxis and cabs. This would be to get to and from the market or church or a favorite haunt. Most of that would be local. Should you desire to travel a greater distance then of course you would not want to depend on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement