U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 11:23 AM

28,209 posts, read 47,606,329 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The first of the vast US baby boom generation goes into retirement in January, setting off a demographic tidal wave with wide-ranging economic, political and social implications.

Kathleen Casey-Kirschling, born on January 1, 1946, is acknowledged as the nation's first baby boomer and the first to apply for social security benefits, for which she will be eligible in 2008.

The New Jersey grandmother is the first of an estimated 80 million Americans born between 1946 and 1964, a generation that led a social revolution in the 1960s and changed the fabric of most facets of society.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071225/bs_afp/lifestyleusdemographicselderly;_ylt=AhJl1CzVgpl4Tn S9e2urBIIDW7oF (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 04:52 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,832 times
Lots of info in that item. This quote for example.
"An unprecedented number will soon be entering the retirement stage of life. One-third of the population will be over 50 by 2010."
Yep it's going to have a big effect but it will be gradual. I saw on the news the other day that they believe another baby boom has started. It's probably a good thing. the babies born now are the age to be our grandchildren. I wonder if my last born grandson was the begining of another baby boom. Ha history may well repeat itself.

Last edited by Waterlily; 12-27-2007 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: fixed

Old 12-27-2007, 08:53 AM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
I was born in the 50's [1959]

I retired in 2001, when my pension kicked in.

I know a lot of other retirees, who are younger then her, and yet are already living on their pensions.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,063,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I was born in the 50's [1959]

I retired in 2001, when my pension kicked in.

I know a lot of other retirees, who are younger then her, and yet are already living on their pensions.

Right. I think the generation of the boomers is what's so significant about her. She was the firstborn in the era~ 1946-1964.

Waterlily, it's kind of funny cause I was listening to a short news story about that. Even in my own state, there was an article about the increase in births the past year or two.

The only articles that irritate me are the ones that were written by someone extremely young and they harp on how we'll bankrupt everything. You know, the stories written by authors who have no idea of what our generation has already paid in to the system.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:32 PM

Being a boomer, I do enjoy my pension.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:15 PM

5,438 posts, read 10,519,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Being a boomer, I do enjoy my pension.
Beekeeper, It sounds like a semi retirement for you with all the farming that you are doing now. LOL I'm a boomer and can't wait to Aug 1st. I'll work part time on my time.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:25 PM

LOL, our farming efforts are not breaking even yet.

It is something to do between hunting, fishing, skiing, and hanging out at the VFW or at the lodge.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:56 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,318,240 times
I think that this will turn out to be one of the MOST overblown stories. Right up there with bird flu and global warming. All we hear is "oh the baby boomers are gonna all retire and wipe out Social Security!". Let's look at reality here:
The FACT is that, yes, there are several million people in the baby boom generation and yes, if they all walked off the job and down to the Social Security office the day they hit 65, it would strain (but not break) the system for awhile. But the FACT is that this is NOT going to happen. This is not "your dad's economy" Our fathers were factory workers, steel workers and did hard labour. They were men that hated their jobs but did them because they loved their families. And, like my father, they could not wait to make 30 years and walk out the door for the final time and enjoy whatever years they had left on Earth fishing, camping and doing whatever. The baby boomers however are not factory workers. Most of them are college educated professionals that make good money doing jobs they love getting up and going to everyday. The bast majority of them view 30 years as just another milestone and 65 as just another birthday. They have no intention of walking off into retirement. These people will not retire until well into their 70s and 80s and many of them will probably never retire fully. So we do not need to worry about Social Security. It will be there for the minority that need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or