U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,735,371 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an interesting article about how many retirees find their joy in everyday activities:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/30/yo...s-of-life.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I thought this was an interesting article about how many retirees find their joy in everyday activities:
I realized recently to my surprise that over the past number of years I've rarely gone by myself to any event or "experience." I either have DH with me or a friend, whether it's to a concert or a museum or on a day trip sometimes with a group. If I had no one to go with somewhere, I stayed home...sometimes lonely.

I started thinking about why I wasn't motivated to do anything alone (other than shop and walk the dogs). This past Sunday everyone I knew was tied up with something, and I had to decide what to do...alone. I perused the weekly event supplement, not seeing anything I'd like to do alone.

Then something caught my eye, an exhibit by an artist (who's no longer living) of orchid paintings in a local college greenhouse. I'm not one for realistic art, but I figured I could go into the greenhouse to see the orchids if the exhibit left me uninspired.

I packed camera, water, snack, cell and eyeglasses and wore something comfy and headed out. The weather was fine and I found myself walking leisurely through the gardens on the campus and actually loving the exhibit and then the plants in the greenhouse. Orchids are amazing! So many gorgeous species growing in so many different kinds of conditions. It made me want to draw and paint again (I have a degree in art).

At noon I went to the campus center and got a salad and coffee and sat in the sunshine watching all the beautiful young people go by.

Another surprise...I was not lonely. And I didn't have to worry about what a companion might be thinking or wanting to do, I could come and go as I pleased. I have to say it was one of the best days I've ever had and I look forward to doing many more things alone.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:44 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have to say it was one of the best days I've ever had and I look forward to doing many more things alone.
What a great experience, thanks for sharing!

Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Ordinary retirement for me means: (I can stop and smell the roses)
I ...
  • have time to stop and help a stranded motorist, (I try to do this often, as I have been 'stranded' many times as a commercial driver)
  • can sit and enjoy a casual conversation with someone who needs a friend,
  • can help a friend or one of my kids with projects / building houses.
  • can help farmers at harvest, or a neighbor in their garden.
  • Volunteer in schools, care centers, businesses, community events.

I have the free time to dream up other fun FREE stuff to do.

Weds are my 'special day' in summer.
  • Ikea for $0.99 hot breakfast
  • FREE day a Rhodie Gardens (Portland)
  • Free rehearsal - Chamber Music Fest
  • Free Lunch and study (Downtown Bible Class)
  • Farmer's Market (Park Blocks)
  • Weds concerts on the street
  • Free afternoon at Portland Art museum Library (if I need air con)
  • Go to library and Powell Books.
  • Get a $2 Root Beer Float @ A&W
  • Swing by early Happy Hour $2 steak bites
  • Attend concert in the park (free everyday in Aug)

relax...

Old 09-09-2014, 08:30 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I realized recently to my surprise that over the past number of years I've rarely gone by myself to any event or "experience." I either have DH with me or a friend, whether it's to a concert or a museum or on a day trip sometimes with a group. If I had no one to go with somewhere, I stayed home...sometimes lonely.

I started thinking about why I wasn't motivated to do anything alone (other than shop and walk the dogs). This past Sunday everyone I knew was tied up with something, and I had to decide what to do...alone. I perused the weekly event supplement, not seeing anything I'd like to do alone.

Then something caught my eye, an exhibit by an artist (who's no longer living) of orchid paintings in a local college greenhouse. I'm not one for realistic art, but I figured I could go into the greenhouse to see the orchids if the exhibit left me uninspired.

I packed camera, water, snack, cell and eyeglasses and wore something comfy and headed out. The weather was fine and I found myself walking leisurely through the gardens on the campus and actually loving the exhibit and then the plants in the greenhouse. Orchids are amazing! So many gorgeous species growing in so many different kinds of conditions. It made me want to draw and paint again (I have a degree in art).

At noon I went to the campus center and got a salad and coffee and sat in the sunshine watching all the beautiful young people go by.

Another surprise...I was not lonely. And I didn't have to worry about what a companion might be thinking or wanting to do, I could come and go as I pleased. I have to say it was one of the best days I've ever had and I look forward to doing many more things alone.

And here's hoping it'll be the first of many many more such days....

Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Absolutely true! If we were too busy and tied up with other things before we retired, now we have the time to make choices about what we want to do, and to take the time now to savor each moment in the days remaining to us. It's a great feeling, IMO.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,301 times
I am rarely with someone else. I enjoy being by myself to gaze at my leisure.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:39 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,079,067 times
Yes, I enjoy the alone times especially when I want to spend more time at someplace and don't want to be rushed.
NEG: A great post. I would add that sometimes starting a small conversation with some of those strangers you are seeing can add more delight to the day. Just an off hand comment or two provides a connection to another human being and you then can go on your way !

Old 09-10-2014, 02:29 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times
I just 'hate' going to museums with anyone. I want to see 'everything' and read all the placards that explain what the article is. I've never met anyone else who is willing to do something like that. I guess most people are totally satisfied after seeing their third Etruscan pottery bowl and are ready to leave.

I'm content and at peace by myself . . . but at times I think it sure would be nice to come home to someone. (My rescue dogs aren't quite the same, even though they are very excited and happy when I do walk in the door. They give me 'kisses' too, but again, it's 'different'.)

Old 09-10-2014, 04:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, I enjoy the alone times especially when I want to spend more time at someplace and don't want to be rushed.
NEG: A great post. I would add that sometimes starting a small conversation with some of those strangers you are seeing can add more delight to the day. Just an off hand comment or two provides a connection to another human being and you then can go on your way !
Interesting that you should say that. On my way to the campus center as I walked by a lovely old dorm, a large piece of roofing slid off the porch roof, broke in mid-air, and crashed to the ground on the lawn. It could have hit someone, and more could be coming, so I phoned campus police to let them know. I struck up a brief conversation with a student standing there, who gave me directions to the art museum. He informed me of a Matisse exhibit on another campus and we went our ways. Matisse drawings are among the most beautiful and I used to study them. I was grateful since I live close by and didn't know about it. Sometimes you wonder why, out of all the zillions of people on the planet, you run into a particular one and exchange something that affects your life even in a small way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or