Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
As someone who lives in the Carolinas, I think you will find that most of us don't care...
I'm in Winston-Salem and will concur with this for ANY of the cities or larger towns.
My observation about the SW Florida areas is similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:43 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Florida would probably be a better choice than NC. We lived in NC in the mid 90's and there was still a lot of black/white prejudice + hatred going both ways.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:22 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM fitter View Post
I realize that we can live anywhere we can afford. But I must say, with all due respect, knowing how "most" people think kind of depends on your personal perspective and experience. Some people, as they grow older, don't want to let go of "the way things used to be".

I didn't mean for this thread to get too deep or controversial, just thought I'd toss it out there for suggestions. I welcome your response as well as the others.
Well you clearly are inferring there are bigoted old white people here with this statement; with all due respect. And your OP about "spewing negativity and narrow mindedness. Like WHAT? Stay out of here if you're black???

That's funny you didn't expect a thread about race relations to get controversial especially in FLORIDA (as if FL doesn't attract controversy alone).

Did you use the dartboard method when choosing NC or FL or have you been to both places more than once or twice?

There's little difference with acceptance on the East FL coast versus the West, anyway IMO.

This has nothing to do with retirement and belongs on the STATE forums IMO. We have a TON OF POSTS like yours there.

But you can look up ethnic demographics on City Data or the census page.

Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I mean really, what are people supposed to say? "We have black people here but don't like them?"

The "problem" is math. If people are going to cluster among their own preferred demographic, there's not much everyone else can do about it. The whole country is only 13.2% Black Alone.

There is only 17% African American Alone identifying in the last census in FL compared to 13.2% in the US.

Only 56.4% White Alone NOT HISPANIC compared to 62.6% in the US. (but Hispanic people are trending towards identifying White on these questions as the years pass).

Hispanic identified 23.6% compared to 17.1% in the US.

So for ME, I'd be looking at areas without a high demographic of Hispanic (like Orlando which I realize you didn't mention....just sayin') I wouldn't be so concerned about old white people. Since I feel it comes in handy to hear ENGLISH all day and not have the rental car employees speaking Spanish or calling ME a tourist.

My HOA is in gorgeous Vero Beach and the most popular resident is AA who's PARENTS moved here when the community was built in 1985. She's the go to realtor who gets everyone's listings. Our Property Manager is black as are other residents.

Even in Jacksonville you see inter-racial couples all the time even kids in HIGH SCHOOL. The mayor is black. Even Obama and his wife made several BIG campaign stops there in the convention center.

Florida is about to become the 3rd most populated state in the country? I don't think it's all old white bigots moving here considering all the NE accents I hear here. Including my own.

Remember, Dunbar Village in West Palm Beach was the beat up old crappy government housing project where after a horrific crime occurred, the state wanted to knock it down and move people to NICE NEW HOUSING and all the residents were furious. NO! We're not moving! This is HOME!

The only way to find out if you want to live somewhere - especially FLORIDA - is to make several, SEVERAL trips here. All over the place.

Interracial Marriages in Florida

Interracial couple to move to Fl w/kids

Interracial couples Please respond

Black/White or Black/Latin interracial couples?

Best and Worst Floridian cities for interracial relationships

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-11-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 12:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
I am prepared for all sorts of replies to my question. I just hope that people will be decent enough to not post at all, if all they are going to do spew negativity and narrow mindedness.

My wife and I would like to retire to the west coast of Fla. or possibly the Carolinas. We are an interracial couple in our late 50s, and are looking for an area that is diverse, or at least accepting. We are not trying to be the "first" in any area, but are open to any area where people are decent, family oriented, good neighbors.

We are just regular people, near the end of our working years, that would like to enjoy retirement with decent people as friends, neighbors or at least polite strangers.
You would love much of the Raleigh Triangle, focus on neighborhoods with a decent number of other transplants.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
I realize that we can live anywhere we can afford. But I must say, with all due respect, knowing how "most" people think kind of depends on your personal perspective and experience. Some people, as they grow older, don't want to let go of "the way things used to be".

I didn't mean for this thread to get too deep or controversial, just thought I'd toss it out there for suggestions. I welcome your response as well as the others.
Your thoughts and concerns are 100% on target? I'm can say been there done that. Be sure you have a buyer agent who understands and can help steer you to good neighborhoods. Some areas being thrown out I would and did avoid. Do a Google of interracial marriages by state and you might be surprised. You can see a lot of interracial couples at NC beaches. One of the realities is that when discussing the attitudes of seniors who are natives to where they live now us what was the area like when they were growing up and when did segregation end in their lifetime. This is both Black and White. A serious question is what will your retired financial resources look like? High, low, medium? That can make a big difference with old timers.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Also according to this Huffpo article, Florida ranks #4 and NC #6 out of the top 20 states for Inter-racial dating and HALF the states are Red voting and the other half Blue.

Top 20 States For Interracial Dating (INFOGRAPHIC)

Old 09-11-2014, 01:09 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
I can understand your desire to move to an area that is accepting (or even just tolerant) of interracial relationships.

I am white and my husband is black. We moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to NC 9 years ago. I was a little hesitant at first because I had these preconceived notions of how the south would be. We also have two biracial children that are in their twenties (oldest being 29) so we are not spring chickens So the last thing I wanted was to settle in an area where we would not feel comfortable.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the reception we received. While there are times that we run into some backwards thinking people, overall the people here have been very warm and receptive. Part of this may have to do with the specific area we picked in NC. There are numerous transplants here now that have probably had more exposure to interracial couples and therefore feel more comfortable with it.

You will also see more and more of the younger generation in interracial relationships here (our daughter is in a relationship with a white man). I see numerous couples daily when I am out and about. So unless you are out in some small little country town I don't think you and your wife would have any issues.

Good luck with your search!

Old 09-11-2014, 04:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
You could always come to the land of low-humidity - the west coast.

Some areas are more tolerant than others, but diversity is the word when it comes to the SF Bay Area, for instance, or Sacramento/Davis/Folsom. I'm not familiar with southern CA, but I'd assume it would be the same. Any of the bigger cities/towns would be very diverse, all the way up to the Canadian border...

But, that may take you too far away from your kids?

Old 09-11-2014, 05:06 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
NRaleigh Mom's answer was the best, IMHO. Lots of transplants in NC. The only comment I have encountered that was anti interracial was,indeed from a native North Carolinian.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:26 PM

720 posts, read 765,836 times
Come to Vegas, we couldn't care less and the COL is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement