Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

My wife and I had a argument about this last night. Last year I got the flu shot for the first time, and for the first time in a long time, got a very serious case of the flu. So, like a good citizen, she thinks I should get the flu shot again. Ain't happenin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Amen. I used to refuse the free flu shot offered by my company every year -- until I got the flu one year right before Christmas. I truly thought I was going to die -- in fact, during the worst of it, I prayed for death.

As you said, it's not just muscle aches -- it's the worst imaginable aches, as though a herd of elephants is sitting on every muscle in your body. And the vomiting: OMG, it comes from as deep down as possible -- not just your stomach but your intestines (at least it felt that way). And the fever: 104-105, which make you feel as though you're freezing to death, regardless of how many blankets you use.
OK, you persuaded me! I haven't had the flu for a long time, but you reminded me of just how awful it was back then. It was so bad that I was nearly hospitalized. After reading your post, I decided that I had better get a flu shot this week. I used to get them every year when I was still working (after the year when I got the flu). So, I know that I never have a bad reaction to flu shots. I don't ever want to go through the flu again.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:20 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
My perspective from being needle phobic.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:06 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My wife and I had a argument about this last night. Last year I got the flu shot for the first time, and for the first time in a long time, got a very serious case of the flu. So, like a good citizen, she thinks I should get the flu shot again. Ain't happenin.
I know its common in some circles to claim you can get the flu from taking a flu shot, but its just not true. Flu vaccine is made from "live attenuated virus" which is a way of saying that the virus in the flu vaccine is not capable of reproducing and making you ill. Take a look at this from the CDC website. Under the section "risks of getting a flu shot" it explains why the flu vaccine cannot cause flu.

Seasonal Flu Shot | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Occasionally, people who take flu vaccine do develop some very mild flu like symptoms. This is because when you receive a flu shot, your body's antibodies recognize that a foreign virus has entered your body. This can cause a very mild temperature increase for a short time, runny nose, etc.

If you did develop a serious case of the flu than the reason you did is because: (1) You were getting sick before you took the shot; and (2) The vaccine didn't have enough time to build up your antibodies.

This is a reason for getting your flu shot early in the year as opposed to later on.

Last edited by markg91359; 09-19-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 01:20 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
never get it.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:41 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
The influenza outbreak in 1918 killed three to five percent of the world's population—making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history. It can be more than a bad cold.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace and truth View Post
I have a friend that die from the flu shot. I do not let my Doctor to get me any shots.

I am sorry about your friend's death. I've gone through this, and it just breaks your heart.

I wonder if you could give more specifics? How long ago did this happen? What did your friend's death certificate say? I am wondering because I have never known of this happening, and your statement makes me curious.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I know its common in some circles to claim you can get the flu from taking a flu shot, but its just not true. Flu vaccine is made from "live attenuated virus" which is a way of saying that the virus in the flu vaccine is not capable of reproducing and making you ill. Take a look at this from the CDC website. Under the section "risks of getting a flu shot" it explains why the flu vaccine cannot cause flu.

Seasonal Flu Shot | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Occasionally, people who take flu vaccine do develop some very mild flu like symptoms. This is because when you receive a flu shot, your body's antibodies recognize that a foreign virus has entered your body. This can cause a very mild temperature increase for a short time, runny nose, etc.

If you did develop a serious case of the flu than the reason you did is because: (1) You were getting sick before you took the shot; and (2) The vaccine didn't have enough time to build up your antibodies.

This is a reason for getting your flu shot early in the year as opposed to later on.
As older adults we need our flue shots. Getting one early is the best way to avoid getting the flu because it takes two weeks or so to fully build up immunity.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:08 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
After reading all of this, maybe I'll start getting them again. Thing is, no one I know has had the flu whether they got a flu shot of not. But, yes, after reading all this, my mind is changed.

I did get the Shingles shot when it first came out. I got it even though I had to pay about $200 as it was not yet covered by Medicare. That's because I've know relatives who have suffered really badly from Shingles and it scares me to death. It's not 100% effective but anything that can decrease the chances and/or maybe the degree of suffering has to be a good thing.

Incidentally, I just got my yearly dual birthdays email from an old friend and he said he caught Shingles this past year and lost part of his hearing due to it. So there's another good reason for getting that shot. I can't believe it. The Shingles shot is free now and not to protect yourself from such a devastating disease is kinda silly.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
With the enterovirus outbreak doctors are recommending a flu shot now for everyone
Who can get one to help protect children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement