Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 02:54 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Same here. Never had a flu shot in my life. Yes, about 20 years since getting the flu. That is even with working with young children in schools sneezing and coughing in my face.

I don't use antibacterial stuff either. I have sensitive skin and that makes my hands raw, red, and sometimes bleed.
I don't either. Actually, the antibacterial products on the market are believed to contribute to increasing antibiotic resistance in microorganisms, and studies have shown that the antibacterial soaps are no more effective in getting rid of bacteria handwashing than regular soap- when the handwashing is done properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 04:21 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't either. Actually, the antibacterial products on the market are believed to contribute to increasing antibiotic resistance in microorganisms, and studies have shown that the antibacterial soaps are no more effective in getting rid of bacteria handwashing than regular soap- when the handwashing is done properly.
I read that, too.
So I use Ivory or another bar soap.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,515 times
Has anyone here had any problems with this years flu shot???????

Old 09-29-2014, 03:22 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I got the HD shot about a week ago. The pharmacist who administered it said that Medicare was recommending it for people over 65, although if I had wanted the regular shot instead I could have asked for it.

A few hours after the injection I started to get a headache, which is unusual for me, but I took a Tylenol and felt better in a short while. My arm was a little sore at the injection site for a couple of days, but since then I've had no problems. *knocking on wood*

Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
The risks associated with flu shots are small as long as your doctor knows your medical history. But, if you are in good health, why bother? I have made it point in my life not to increase my level of risk-aversion as I get older; quite the opposite. It's about being positive and feeling and acting young.

We're all going to die. But we aren't all going to die happy, positive people. That's up to us. It's a choice.

Still, I am not planning any trips to Sierra Leone in the near future, and if i were at risk of complications from the flu, I would take the shot, if there were no serious contra-indications.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The risks associated with flu shots are small as long as your doctor knows your medical history. But, if you are in good health, why bother? I have made it point in my life not to increase my level of risk-aversion as I get older; quite the opposite. It's about being positive and feeling and acting young.

We're all going to die. But we aren't all going to die happy, positive people. That's up to us. It's a choice.

Still, I am not planning any trips to Sierra Leone in the near future, and if i were at risk of complications from the flu, I would take the shot, if there were no serious contra-indications.
If you get the flu, even if you are not too ill and recover you may give it to someone else who may not be as lucky.
What has Sierra Leone got to do with influenza?

Old 09-29-2014, 04:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Got the shot just like I do every year. It was the super-shot. Never had a reaction. Never had the flu. Don't want to start now.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:17 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you get the flu, even if you are not too ill and recover you may give it to someone else who may not be as lucky.
What has Sierra Leone got to do with influenza?
Ebola and flu viruses are not related. My statement was to show I didn't take stupid risks.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
Has anyone here had any problems with this year's flu shot???????
I got the regular flu shot yesterday, about 28 hours ago. Not the least reaction or problem, not even any soreness at the injection site, which appears to be in the posterior portion of the medial deltoid.

The biggest problem was I was wearing a long-sleeve dress shirt with no T-shirt underneath, so I had to take off the shirt, thus creating a disgusting display of flab around the middle - (6'1" and 185 pounds). I'm just glad I didn't cause anyone to lose a lunch. I would be so grateful once again to have sides which go STRAIGHT down with no bulging, but that's the subject for a different thread.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,515 times
Thanks for all the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement