Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:19 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge fan of lifelong education. I like to take classes locally and also take travel + education trips when I can, e.g. Road Scholar (f/k/a Elderhostel).

I saw this list recently and I plan to look into some of the offerings listed here. If you're looking for something interesting to do in your retirement, maybe this can help.

25 Killer Sites For Free Online Education
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
While we are on the subject... Please post 25 killer schools for free elder education. I have dial-up, won't live long enough to get a online edu. My eyes won't last that long anyway. Free schools near u ?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
I just signed up for this. It is part of Temple in Philadelphia. These course are given in Center City, a five minute walk from my condo. Yesterday, I attended a class on Beethoven's Sonatas. You pay one fee ($290) a year and can attend as many classes as you like. There is no obligation. If you don't like it - you don't go back. No homework, no grades.

OLLI | TUCC | Temple University Center City

Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
While we are on the subject... Please post 25 killer schools for free elder education. I have dial-up, won't live long enough to get a online edu. My eyes won't last that long anyway. Free schools near u ?
Here in Orlando, Florida residents over the age of (I think) 60 can taken courses at the University of Central Florida tuition-free, on a space-available basis. You still have to buy the textbooks and pay the parking fee, however.

This may also be true at the other Florida state universities (UF, FSU, etc.), but I haven't looked into them.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Here in Orlando, Florida residents over the age of (I think) 60 can taken courses at the University of Central Florida tuition-free, on a space-available basis. You still have to buy the textbooks and pay the parking fee, however.

This may also be true at the other Florida state universities (UF, FSU, etc.), but I haven't looked into them.
Many colleges throughout the country allow seniors to audit some classes, tuition free. This is true of 2-year and 4-year colleges.
I live in Texas and here's a site that gives info and provides a link to participating schools.
College for All Texans: Senior Citizen, 65 or Older, Free Tuition for Auditing Classes

Old 09-18-2014, 09:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Thanks for the posting. I have long been looking into the RS programs and the Osher Lifelong Learning (OLLI) classes, which have three locations in my area. I think I'd want to go to class in person more than online, as there is plenty of learning all over online and I am rather isolated with it. I have considered taking some trips with Road Scholar. Not the cheapest but they look informative more than just touristy.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thanks for the posting. I have long been looking into the RS programs and the Osher Lifelong Learning (OLLI) classes, which have three locations in my area. I think I'd want to go to class in person more than online, as there is plenty of learning all over online and I am rather isolated with it. I have considered taking some trips with Road Scholar. Not the cheapest but they look informative more than just touristy.
I've done three trips with Road Scholar, and they are wonderful! Most recently I spent three weeks in Quebec, Canada, studying French at the University of Quebec. Road Scholar did a marvelous job of organizing the entire thing, with lots of field trips and great fun all around.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post

As I understand it, all the Florida public universities offer free tuition to senior citizens. They allow seniors to audit courses, they don't give credit for them. Seniors can sign up for courses on a space-available basis, they have to wait till the regular student sign up period is over to register.

So a senior couldn't pursue a degree program using the senior tuition-free waiver option, but it sure would be fun to take some classes in areas of interest to the senior.

A Senior Citizen Guide for College: Florida

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-26-2014 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Fixed Quote

Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Looks like Tennessee is one that does help seniors get schooling as well.

A Senior Citizen Guide for College: Tennessee

Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
Both sets of my parents are OLLI fans. Dad just signed up for a load of classes at USC Columbia, SC. I think.

South Carolina SC - Senior Citizen Education

Mom moved north from Miami so we will see what FAU offers......they are not an OLLI institute but have their own lifelong program at two campuses.

FAU Lifelong Learning Society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement