Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 06:06 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

I know that I'm done with responding to freemkt's posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:15 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
His replies in the forums pertaining to saving ,retiring or having money are like me going to the frugal livng forum and in every post going i would rather work 18 hours a day then reuse paper towels and tea bags.

it serves no purpose to fill the thread that does not apply to me with comments about how it doesn't apply to me,

my feeling is if he really wanted to do something other than complain he wouldn't be frequenting the forums that do not apply to him but instead researching and learning at forums that do apply i. or at the least find a support group with others in your situation..

Old 11-30-2014, 07:26 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
His is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you say and think you can't do it, you are absolutely right. You can't.

If you say and think I can do this, and will, then you are also right. You can.

You've been saying you can't do it for 30 years or so (is that right??). No reason to think you want to change now.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't see this as a problem for people that are sensible. My parents bought a home at ages 68 and 70, using the equity from their previous home as down payment and buying in an area where the home prices were about half where they moved from.
We retired in '08 with a mortgage, just sold that house 3 months ago, and got another mortgage when we bought our current house on a lake in Maine. We paid significantly less for this house than what our buyers paid for our previous home in Virginia, and our mortgage payments here are very manageable.

It may be, if my wife and I live long enough, that we'll have a paid-off mortgage. But that has never been a goal of ours, and having a mortgage in retirement certainly hasn't caused us to lose any sleep.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Most people were not raised by drunks and druggies, these people tend to have a particular set of problems and issues. It certainly does not help them when they are later stuck renting rooms from even more drunks.

Nobody expects crack babies to grow up to become neurosurgeons. (And yes I was a heroin baby.)
That is helpful information. Forums and discussions like this aren't going to be helpful. There are resources and support groups out there. You need to reinvent yourself and stop looking back.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
More excuses about things that others have overcome and worse and I, for one, am going to finally use the ignore function
Thank you, old_cold
As I posted over in the Personal Finance Forum:
Quote:
Just put people that irritate you on Ignore.

I promise, you won't miss anything

You end up seeing posts anyway when people continually quote the person

Old 11-30-2014, 12:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
His is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you say and think you can't do it, you are absolutely right. You can't.

If you say and think I can do this, and will, then you are also right. You can.

You've been saying you can't do it for 30 years or so (is that right??). No reason to think you want to change now.

Correction;; I can do it in a sane and sober environment free of abusive drunks and druggies. I ask for little in life, other than peace annd quiet and solitude, which I have had for only six months of my life after college. When you're poor you lose control over your living environment and I'm a control freak in that area, hence I feel powerless.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
More excuses about things that others have overcome and worse and I, for one, am going to finally use the ignore function so that I don't ever again get tempted to help you take over a thread by replying to you unless, perhaps you post in the Mental Health forum asking for suggestions .

SOME others have overcome, many have not. That's why these are all those books and such out there.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:52 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
but they don't keep telling us their tales of woe in every thread.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but they don't keep telling us their tales of woe in every thread.
But they will as long as you and others continue to give them the attention they crave. indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement