Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:45 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Buy a new car for cash when you retire and chances are you will never need another one. My mother bought a new car for cash in 2000, and is still driving it. It only has 100,000 miles on it, and would easily last her another decade if she were to live that long. With no need to commute, vehicles will easily last 20 years with minimal maintenance.
Even if not, you'd only need an additional $20k in savings for a possible second retirement car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If they had been thinking like that all along, why would they have paid off the 400K home?
From my observations, that $400k home was likely in a high tax region. Selling it and buying a lower price home in a low COL, likely would cause a huge drop in property taxes.

Certainly not just a 50% drop, as in the example, how they dropped the price of the home by 50%. I would imagine that taxes would drop to 10% [or less].

Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If they had been thinking like that all along, why would they have paid off the 400K home?
Maybe they had owned it for a long time and never re-mortgaged.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
From my observations, that $400k home was likely in a high tax region. Selling it and buying a lower price home in a low COL, likely would cause a huge drop in property taxes.

Certainly not just a 50% drop, as in the example, how they dropped the price of the home by 50%. I would imagine that taxes would drop to 10% [or less].
taxes in the tristate area here are 12-20k plus a year . moving to just about anywhere else is a huge drop.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:37 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Some possible food for thought on this subject and debt in general for seniors.
More Americans don't expect to pay off debt

Quote:
Survey respondents who expect to pay off their debts anticipate doing so at an average age of 53. But in addition to the 18 percent who expect to owe money forever, another 25 percent expect to be in debt until at least age 61.

Older respondents are more likely to believe their debt will be with them forever. Some 31 percent of those over age 65 expect to be lifelong debtors, compared to 22 percent of those aged 50 to 64 and just 6 percent of millennials aged 18 to 29.

"The more years you have left, the more likely you are to have a chance to get rid of that debt," Schulz said.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Why areas with good jobs have hard-to-afford homes

Quote:
It's the new career trade-off:

Around the country, areas with the strongest job markets increasingly have some of the costliest homes. And areas with the most affordable homes lack a solid base of middle class jobs that attract workers.

College graduates and younger families have been clustering in coastal cities such as New York, San Francisco and Seattle, where incomes are generally ample and solid middle-class jobs plentiful. Yet studies and government data show that homes in these areas have become prohibitively expensive.

The result is that the dream of home ownership for many is proving frustrating, being deferred or abandoned, even for people with comfortable incomes.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
I own my home- never had a mortgage. Even though it tied up a huge chunk of money that could have been used for other investments, at the time, I made the choice that my peace of mind in owning free and clear was primary. In other circumstances I would certainly have chosen differently and chosen to take out a mortgage and invest the rest.

Yes, there is a reason that the wealthy have mortgages; it gives them liquidity and options. It makes good sense in a situation where you are already in a financially secure situation to leverage those funds in investments.

I am never going to be wealthy or even close to it, so my goal in looking at retirement in 4 years is to be as debt-free as possible with no mortgage, no car payment, no revolving debt, have all home updates completed, and have only basic necessary expenses so that I only have to draw on my savings for emergencies.

All that said, if someone is able to afford a mortgage in retirement and has enough reserves and savings set aside then good for them.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:53 AM

174 posts, read 365,658 times
Consider this...........we have a really nice 15yo 2,000 sq. ft home in northern Ohio paid for at retirement. It is worth about $170K. After selling expenses we'll likely have less than $160K. Now, we want to downsize and move elsewhere to a warmer sunny place with low taxes. We have dogs (that we love) and so we need just a modest single home (1-story) with a fenced yard. The hope is to salvage some equity from our existing home. However, homes in the nicest places are up to 4 times more expensive. Northern Ohio has among the lowest real estate values in the country. Especially the Akron area. Florida was an option during the crash, but I have now learned that if we use all the funds from the sale of our home in Ohio, we still couldn't afford a little home in a nice area in Florida (ie Sarasota). If, for example, you look at home prices in Sarasota you might find some foreclosures in the $140K-$155K price range. However, they need lots of $$ to make them suitable to live in.

I know that "nice" is a relative term, but moving to an area you don't know is a little scary if it isn't at least a little aesthetically pleasing. That is how I define the nicer communities I am referring to. You know, obviously well cared-for properties.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
taxes in the tristate area here are 12-20k plus a year . moving to just about anywhere else is a huge drop.
People in this state commonly complain about their high taxes; the highest taxed home in my town would still be a less than $1k.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 AM

174 posts, read 365,658 times
Default Affordable housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yet, if you can afford to buy a home at a young age in one of those areas, I promise, you can sell it at retirement and move to an area that lacks the middle class jobs....................and live out your life without any financial worry!
Example:
New York is a difficult area to move to
New York is an easy area to move away from
Cleveland is an easy are to move to
Cleveland is a difficult area to move away from
So.........you need to buy a home in and live in New York (Seattle, San Francisco, etc.) during your working years. That home will be the only nest egg you need when you retire if you move somewhere like Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement