Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I took all my risk younger some paid other didn't. I am more or less out of that game now; and glad of it.I always saw risk as never risk what you can't afford to lose all thru my life. Easy to risk when younger as you can always start over to regain over years.
This ranch is my last "big adventure". For the next retirement I'm gonna settle down "in town" but on a big lot or two (1/4 acre) and maybe just have some backyard chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 06:20 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
I took my risks when I was younger - prior to age 60. Riding motorcycles including some rather wild and scary dirt trails, long-distance bicycling (Seattle to Los Angeles), flying private airplanes (including trips to Alaska and to the Caribbean), hitch hiking around Europe. So as much as I hate to admit to having become conservative, the truth is that I have been playing it safe for about the past ten years.

I retired in place, not so much because I feared the unknown but because I positively like it here where I've been since 1966 (although not in the same house/apartment). Nonetheless, that's a "playing it safe" decision, or actually non-decision, as I never gave the least consideration to relocating. I think that people who relocate where they don't know anyone (especially those who do it alone) are showing a great deal of courage because that's a risk on at least some levels.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
But with risk also comes opportunity. We had an opportunity to make new friends that we never would have met had we stayed in our old home. We had opportunities to learn new things, visit new places and partake in activities we wouldn't travel cross country for, but which have enriched our lives because we were close enough to engage in them. Everyone has their own comfort level and risk tolerance. I think as a couple DH and I are a match because we balance each other out. I am the risk taker and he keeps me reigned in to a "sane" level. As I get older, I do take smaller risks, and I don't always succeed, but I give myself credit for trying.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:11 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Adventure means taking risk. My wife and I have no interest in sitting on our butts after we retire. We look forward to big changes and don't worry about it cause we've taken some leaps before and everything worked out OK.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:06 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
“A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for.” ― Albert Einstein

Old 04-12-2015, 10:09 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Great quote. I'm posting it by my desk.
Risk taking is definitely getting harder as I age.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:40 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
My problem is not recognizing risk until much later. I look back at some of the things I did and now think they were risky but at the time, I had no idea. So, if I'm doing something risky now, get back to me when I'm 80 and I'll reassess.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My problem is not recognizing risk until much later. I look back at some of the things I did and now think they were risky but at the time, I had no idea. So, if I'm doing something risky now, get back to me when I'm 80 and I'll reassess.

okay I promise!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
“A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for.” ― Albert Einstein

I think that depends on how sea worthy the ship is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement