U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,446,968 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Illinois and am there for the past 3 years again taking care of an elderly parent. I know cold. It snowed here again today, and has been shoveled 4 times already this year.

Been watching Boston's weather, which I understand is somewhat like Exeter, and it is actually warmer than where I am!!! However, with warmer weather comes more snow. As people from the North know, when it is freezing there is no snow. I do know the drill..ha!
I told myself this year that if I didn't feel I could handle the cold here alot then I better cancel NH from my list. So far, so good. I feel it is a trade-off: heat and humidity in Houston was a living hell for 5 months or the brisk feel of some cool in the Seacoast. Either way, you stay indoors more...trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 PM

414 posts, read 1,469,805 times
The price of oil hit $100 a barrel today. Given that winter in NH lasts from November through April, I'd guess that any disposable income realized from retiring there will be gobbled up by home heating costs. NH is a gorgeous state but those winters are too cold and TOO LONG.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,997 times
The long winter (and/or non-existent spring) would likely be the number 1 issue against retiring here, unless you happen to be another Stein Ericksen. While one is still working, avoiding state income tax is usually worth paying the property tax (everywhere except for lakefront property on Winnie), but that savings dynamic changes in retirement. Actually, I do know preople who are retired here.......it's just that they don't have any use for computers and/or posting forums.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:30 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
If you're from Texas, you'd be mighty surprised by the climate if you were to move to NH. It's not unusual to have snow still on the ground in mid-April. If you think of winter as being December, January, and February, you'd have to adjust your thinking and start considering it to be November through April. You may think that you like cold weather, but if you live way down south where you get very little of it, you'd better think again. New England winters (and springs) are painfully cold.

New England is beautiful, but the climate is difficult if you don't like the cold.

Winters in NH are actually milder than many areas of the Upper Midwest and northern Plains. The average high temperatures in the winter months are in the 30s and lows are in the teens in the southern areas. Winter thaws often occur when the high temps are above freezing for several days. During the past few days even northern New England has had high temperatures above 50F.
I agree that heating oil costs are a major concern given the fact that a barrel of oil is nearing $100 again.
If the OP wants to avoid the summer heat most areas of NH have excellent summer weather.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
The long winter (and/or non-existent spring) would likely be the number 1 issue against retiring here, unless you happen to be another Stein Ericksen. While one is still working, avoiding state income tax is usually worth paying the property tax (everywhere except for lakefront property on Winnie), but that savings dynamic changes in retirement. Actually, I do know preople who are retired here.......it's just that they don't have any use for computers and/or posting forums.
Most of New England has quite a few sunny days in the winter compared with the Pacific Northwest. I know a lot of retired people have moved to the northwest over the past several years.
Winters everywhere area not as cold as they were in the past. NH has MUCH milder winters than areas of the Upper Midwest without a doubt.
For example Manchester has very few days in the winter where the low temperature drops below zero.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM

Ok, plains, I'll concede your comparison to the upper midwest for cold and pac nw for cloudiness. But neither of those 2 areas are exactly retirement meccas either.

The comparison I was thinking about was south of the Mason Dixon line.

Having lived in NH for awhile now, I would be very happy splitting my time between Lake Winnipesaukee (May 1st to Thanksgiving) and Key West (the rest of the time). But, I need a "few more years" to get my nest egg up to the $3M I need to pull that off.....lol!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:17 PM

13,320 posts, read 25,569,771 times
Now *that's* a plan. Can I go with you? I love Lake Wini. Come to think of it, the people who owned the property where I used to rent a lakefront cabin (actually a former boathouse- the upstairs apartment was over the boathouse, and the property was *in* the lake!) kept a condo in Florida.
Not bad for two hairdressers!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Now *that's* a plan. Can I go with you? I love Lake Wini. Come to think of it, the people who owned the property where I used to rent a lakefront cabin (actually a former boathouse- the upstairs apartment was over the boathouse, and the property was *in* the lake!) kept a condo in Florida.
Not bad for two hairdressers!
Sure, the more the merrier. And had I only had the guts earlier on......lakefront house on Winni spotted in '88 for 60K and bungalow on Whitehead St. in KW in '92 for 45K. First one now pushing $1M and second one about $750K. Come to think of it, you probably wouldn't want to hang around a dumba** like me anyway.......lol!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Sure, the more the merrier. ...
maybe join up with my plan to have 3 - 4 "fractional" ownership places around USA. NH is one of the choices, as is PNW, plus one in the mountain states.

Hopefully they will be rural props with guest house for me (us) and a main home rented out, and supporting the joint.

Sound OK?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Ok, plains, I'll concede your comparison to the upper midwest for cold and pac nw for cloudiness. But neither of those 2 areas are exactly retirement meccas either.

The comparison I was thinking about was south of the Mason Dixon line.

Having lived in NH for awhile now, I would be very happy splitting my time between Lake Winnipesaukee (May 1st to Thanksgiving) and Key West (the rest of the time). But, I need a "few more years" to get my nest egg up to the $3M I need to pull that off.....lol!
I did a real estate search for areas near Lake Winnipesaukee and could not believe how spendy some of the homes are It appears that Gilford and Wolfeboro have some rather pricey properties for sale. Taking a drive in the fall in that area is good enough for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement