U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:46 PM

259 posts, read 1,183,983 times

Advertisements

Well, since your tag line says "moving to NH", I wish you well in that endeavour. I am likely on my way out after 7 years for a better offer. But from the overly expensive real estate standpoint, if you avoid the shoreline of Winnipesaukee and the shoreline of the Atlantic, you pretty much have the rest of the state for a reasonable cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,017,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
Well, since your tag line says "moving to NH", I wish you well in that endeavour. I am likely on my way out after 7 years for a better offer. But from the overly expensive real estate standpoint, if you avoid the shoreline of Winnipesaukee and the shoreline of the Atlantic, you pretty much have the rest of the state for a reasonable cost.
I will likely be looking at areas near Concord and Manchester. However, I expect the real estate prices to keep dropping so I am not in a big hurry.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:30 AM

311 posts, read 876,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Yes, property tax is so high as in Houston (which is like $19 per $1,000), but they don't tax income except for 5% on earnings from stocks, bonds and so forth. The only other negative I can find is some ridiculous car registration which costs $500-600 a year, I understand.
Does anyone know of any other hidden costs in NH that I am missing?
Also, why are more retirees not moving there? Is it the cold? Is it the tax situation?
Anyone who can shed any negative light on NH will help. I don't want any ugly surprises if I move there, and need to be forewarned.
As for me, the area sounds wonderful except for the lack of big cities...but then you have Boston an hour away from the Seacoast area of NH.
Any ideas on a senior with limited spending power moving to the Seacoast area (Exeter, Dover, Portsmouth) of New Hampshire?
Any why aren't more on this board interested in New Hampshire??????:conf used:
I was just going to post this question, too...why aren't more people interested in New Hampshire for retirement?!

I'll admit, I have a vested interest in this because I work for a real estate brokerage company and we're trying to find creative ways to spread the word that New Hampshire - and our community of Waterville Valley - are perfect for the active retiree. I hate to use the word "senior" or "retirement" because lots of the folks who live and play in Waterville Valley aren't senior or retiring at all. They're very active and enjoy nature, sports, culture, etc.

My parents live in northern New Hampshire and are in their 70s. They won't even consider retiring to the traditional southern locales like Florida because they love winter and still ski. In fact, for a little while they were thinking of retiring to Waterville Valley (to be close to me and my family and to better enjoy the 4-season recreational opportunities).

Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM

1,861 posts, read 3,026,784 times
I live in Mass, and I love NH. Sometimes, I go to Portsmouth, or Salisbury Beach, or North Conway. Got my tattoo in Salem!

As far as winter, I grew up in upstate NY, which, I believe, is worse than New England any day. There are days up there -20 or -30. And, feet and feet of snow. I would never want to live in a southern area, because I love the cold - fall and winter are the best - hate the summer. I always dread it, and can't wait for it to be over!

I would think of it as a great place to retire, unless you're not into the change of seasons.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,056,192 times
Frankly the older I have gotten the less I like snow and cold. I lived in the northeast for a while and never got use to it and the limited outdoor activity. Heck;even summer mornings were cold to me. I think where you are raised makes a difference but even that changes with age.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,899,635 times
For me, the black fly and mosquitos are reason enough not to move there. I don't mind snow, but the winters in NH last a long time, which I don't like. Add black fly as it warms up and then mosquitos and deer fly to the list and I would never pick it over other less buggy options....but everyone is different!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:59 PM

4,727 posts, read 10,336,943 times
Well as most people answered I think people are not flocking there because of the weather. What retired person wants to fork over $400-$500 a month in a heating bill. Its just crazy and its going to get worse!!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 AM

I don't spend that much on heating...but, I also only heat with wood.

How much do folks in Florida spend per month in the winter for "climate control"??!!

Bugs? Schmugs!! That's what bug spray is for! At least we don't have poisonous spiders, snakes, and other creepy things up here in NH!!

By the way, you really do get used to the black flies & mosquitoes after a while...and they're short lived. Really...!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:07 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,026,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
I don't spend that much on heating...but, I also only heat with wood.

How much do folks in Florida spend per month in the winter for "climate control"??!!

Bugs? Schmugs!! That's what bug spray is for! At least we don't have poisonous spiders, snakes, and other creepy things up here in NH!!

By the way, you really do get used to the black flies & mosquitoes after a while...and they're short lived. Really...!
Yeah, I've heard too many stories about snakes getting into peoples' houses - eewwww!! Gross.

And, in the south, you need AC practically all year. And, some days you can't even go out because of "bad air quality". I have a friend in Charlotte, and you can't go out and go to work on certain days. I guess it's like our snow days. I prefer snow days - although we never got them in NY because they had mammoth plows going through. In Massachusetts, we all get a day off if there's an inch of snow. The natives here get really freaked out.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 AM

A few years ago my husband and I were dreaming of living in South Carolina. We were on a nice long vacation down there and checking things out. One thing I kept hearing from northern transplants is how the summer heat/humidity is so unbearable that you run from one air conditioned environment to another and can't really enjoy the outdoors. At least here in NH, even if the winter is cold and snowy, you can still go outside and enjoy yourself skiing, snowshoeing, walking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement