U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:12 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,313,859 times

Advertisements

Upstate NY - Saratoga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,469,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I find, from doing 3 years of work on the net, that there are pockets of areas where large numbers of retirees are moving to. Of course, we have Florida and Arizona and Las Vegas; but there are also pockets of retirees flocking to Maine now.
Illinois, I checked recently, around the Chicagoland area seems to have nobody flocking to it--except the very wealthy from the suburbs are now moving into the city downtown. And you have to be wealthy to move there as a studio would cost me $200K without a parking space, too. That is high.
Austin, Texas, has many going there, but many are moving outside Austin. However, it is booming.
San Antonio is getting many, I understand, but many are also moving out of there once they get there.
Any idea where other HOT pockets in this country retirees are moving to now?
Ashland, Oregon.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:36 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Anyplace voted "best place" by this magazine or that. (equals rise in prices and influx).

Old 01-03-2008, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 43,371 times
Default Retirees moving to NE Alabama

Mod cutDear TootsieWootsie

First I have an Aunt Tootsie. I love the screen name. I am the Retiree Development Manager for The Chamber of Commerce in GadsdenAL in Etowah County, AL. Many retirees have been moving here and all along NE Alabama. In the last 30 days, I have helped relocate 6 to this area. I would love to send you a Retiree Relocation Package about this area if you would contact me Let me tell you a little about the area,-City Population is 38,979 and County Population is 103,459,Property Taxes are among the lowest in the country -For a $150,000 home property taxes range from $540-$735 a year, depending on which municipality you live inside Etowah County,Sales Tax is between 8%-9%, depending on which municipality you live in,Gadsden has one of the lowest cost of living in the nation,Retirement Incomes are tax exempt •No Inheritance Tax and Estate Tax,Top Rated Hospitals according to HCIA, Inc. & 60 minutes to a top 5 Nationally Ranked Hospital, UAB in Birmingham, AL,For 99.9% of diagnosed illnesses treatment is available by a qualified certified physician,Low Crime Rate - 20% Lower than National Average, Gadsden Municipal Airport and 45 minutes from Birmingham International Airport, Interstates within 90 miles of Gadsden, AL,4 Sunny Seasons with a long growing season of 261 days,Average High Temperature is 89.0F[font=Arial] and Average Low Temperature is 49.4F - We usually only have 2 months cold weather. This week a cold front came in but next week we will have highs of 60-70's. Tornadoes mostly miss us and the mountain shields us it seems...... It seems a lot of people have moved here from FL because insurance companies will not insure some due to the hurricanes. Some miss the 4 seasons. Some miss being close to the beach, mountains, and plains...........We hope you discover your Fountain of Youth here with us in Gadsden, AL... We are letting America see our little secret that we have been sharing with retirees for years. I have lived in NY, Orlando, Nash, spent a lot of time in AZ and CA, but my heart rest here in Gadsden, AL on Lookout Mountain -Gateway to the Appalachian Mountains.. Thanks

Last edited by Waterlily; 01-03-2008 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: No phone numbers or ads

Old 01-03-2008, 02:07 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
I don't know if this is the most popular place, but after quite a bit of searching we decided to head for the North Georgia mountains.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM

857 posts, read 4,472,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't know if this is the most popular place, but after quite a bit of searching we decided to head for the North Georgia mountains.
For a visit, or to move there? It is very scenic, but not much going on. It is close enough to Atlanta if you like going into the city now and then, but Atlanta has become a dangerous place to be, so I don't recommend spending too much time intown.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Dahlonega. I love it there. Probably won't go into Atlanta for any reason except the airport.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Dear Mgood--You have posted an almost identical ad for Gadsden, AL several places in the retirement forum, and twice in the same thread. These forums are not marketplaces for you to advertise and especially not multiple times. Please stop.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:30 PM

10 posts, read 43,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Dear Mgood--You have posted an almost identical ad for Gadsden, AL several places in the retirement forum, and twice in the same thread. These forums are not marketplaces for you to advertise and especially not multiple times. Please stop.
Dear normie

I want you to love Gadsden as much as I ... I just moved here from Nashville after being gone for 15 years-- 1 am getting married and have adopted 2 children that have lost their mother and have decided not to move my family to Nashville but stay here and decided to help retirees because I love helping people......... .. I too was searching for a home, a place to call Home and I found it. I wanted the world to know about Gadsden, AL........... I am sorry you do not feel the same as I do....

Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM

I smell a salesman... but now that you've started your writing posts that are different each time and geared towards sharing info, it's ok, I guess. The mods are in charge, anyway. We have a great mod, I respect her decisions.

BTW, just on the off chance you're wondering, please don't use the direct mail on these sites to "personally invite" me to visit NE Alabama, either. Not suggesting that you're going to try this. But just in case the idea has occurred to you--don't do it. I had a salesman from Fairfield Glade send me a few of those. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like being contacted by salesmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement