Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,067 times

Advertisements

I find, from doing 3 years of work on the net, that there are pockets of areas where large numbers of retirees are moving to. Of course, we have Florida and Arizona and Las Vegas; but there are also pockets of retirees flocking to Maine now.
Illinois, I checked recently, around the Chicagoland area seems to have nobody flocking to it--except the very wealthy from the suburbs are now moving into the city downtown. And you have to be wealthy to move there as a studio would cost me $200K without a parking space, too. That is high.
Austin, Texas, has many going there, but many are moving outside Austin. However, it is booming.
San Antonio is getting many, I understand, but many are also moving out of there once they get there.
Any idea where other HOT pockets in this country retirees are moving to now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
North Carolina

Old 12-29-2007, 04:30 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,335 times
Carolina's, Tennessee, SW Missouri, Alabama (especially golfers), Texas, and areas around the country. In some cases, I don't think it's so much the "State" as it is specific areas in a state. For example areas around Branson MO are popular retirement areas but not so much Missouri itself. Tennessee has become popular due to the lack of income tax, but when we looked out there it seemed that Murfreesburo, Cookeville, Fairfield Glade, and areas around Nashville were beginning to attract retiree's. If you look at a variety of websites you get all sorts of different views. Even parts of California seem to be popular retirement sites which often surprises people due to the cost of living.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 AM

702 posts, read 2,516,685 times
The Grand Lake (Grove) area of NE Oklahoma was named the top spot for retirees from a recent Wall Street Journal report and also from Rand McNally.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:12 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Maybe an awful lot of retirees are staying in the areas where they've lived for years? It's not a given that everyone must move, often far away from everything they're familiar with.

Or people become "halfbacks." I live in a relatively modest town in eastern Massachusetts. Retired people are largely government employees, teachers, blue-collar workers, etc. Usually own their modest homes here (now worth a lot, though). They often buy something exceedingly modest, like a small mobile home somewhere non-fancy, in Florida, and go back and forth for the weather.

I'd like to do the same, only making it summers in the Mountain West. Not sure if I'll figure out something that works.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,299 times
People who go back and forth are usually called "snowbirds". A "halfback" is someone from the north (most often northeast) who moved to Florida then moved to the Carolinas.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Are there any areas east of CO, NM, WY, MT that have nice (60F) cool summer evenings to avail good sleep?

TN and NC are nice to visit in fall and spring, but not sure I could live there in the summer. (I don't have any $35.00 'grease' cars with AC..., but guess I could 'upgrade'...but prefer bicycling if possible) I just don't do heat and humidity well.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:59 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Ah, yes, you're right about "halfbacks." I did read that phrase elsewhere. thanks.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,067 times
I just read that by 2030 the most popular States for the over 65 crowd will be: 1. California (whew, with those high taxes?); 2. Texas and 3. Florida. Anyone else read this???

Old 12-31-2007, 07:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Are there any areas east of CO, NM, WY, MT that have nice (60F) cool summer evenings to avail good sleep?

TN and NC are nice to visit in fall and spring, but not sure I could live there in the summer. (I don't have any $35.00 'grease' cars with AC..., but guess I could 'upgrade'...but prefer bicycling if possible) I just don't do heat and humidity well.
Best bets are the northern tier states but they do have outbreaks. If you watch the jet stream location, north of it is cooler and drier, south gets the Gulf moisture and warmth in the center of the country, and the gulf stream air on the east coast.

I'm not fond of the heat and humidity either. Don't like excessive heat if it's dry either.

Winters can get interesting up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement