Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Property taxes increase as well as HOA fees and homeowner insurance.
That includes apartments as well less the HOA fee.

If that is as you say, how than can COLA be so paltry? Sounds like EVERYONE loses their entire COLA (and perhaps more) to housing cost increases before anything else is considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
A lot of homeowners have expenses that consume their entire year's worth of COLA. A good friend is having to replace a ruptured water line and fix their foundation. This on a fixed income, at 75 years old.

Can you tell that I have no sympathy with folks that have CHOSEN their living situation, and then complain. There are pluses and minuses to owning and renting.

Perhaps COLA is flawed?

Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A lot of renters will find that their entire year's worth of COLA will be consumed by their rent increase in one or two months.

Yep, that's reasonable.

Can I tell you just ooze homeowner?
Lots of people are homeowners. So? Nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Lots of people are homeowners. So? Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with it; there should be more of it. With less government intervention, not more.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:27 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the colas are only linked to a weighted price index that will not match your own personal cost of living nor was it ever intended to.

it merely reflects a weighted basket of good and services for tracking purposes only not to reflect your own life's cost of living. with over 1500 mini econmies in this country nothing can reflect what you see nor should it..

it is weighted as to how a median hypothetical income would be spent in the same percentages.

housing costs and energy take up the most dollars so a drop in either one absorbs lots of price increases in milk or tomatoes.

64% of americans own a home and with either a fixed rate mortgage or payed off home much of the effects of inflation are tempered so the index computes us all as renting at rents based on 1539 seperate economies ,some up some down. right off the bat homeowners personal rates may be less than the cpi may reflect since housing costs are contained except taxes..

i know my sisters refinance left her so far behind what she used to pay that she has seen negative inflation in her personal cost of living.

i rent so i have seen more inflation in my personal costs than she has.

thinking these cola adjustments are going to reflect personal cost of living is a mistake.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-07-2014 at 03:40 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 05:19 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
I wish it was more,
But I'm happy with any increase.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
I received several comments on my statements about heating costs. My situation is special since I was able to convert from oil to natural gas. NG is much less expensive. Most houses in my area are heated by burning oil. That seems to be an out of date choice that needs to change. Regardless the cost of oil is way down from last year. I still have oil for my hot water heater and plan on buying a couple hundred gallons to last for another year. The cost is down about 15% from last year. I just returned from a 5 month road trip. I would guess I spent a $1000 less on fuel this trip versus what I would have spent with last year's higher prices.

Electric costs in my area are several times the national average and continue to increase. Even so there are some partial solutions. I have replaced all of my light bulbs with leds. Leds use about 20% of the cost of tungsten bulbs and less than half the cost of fluorescents. Even the cost of the bulbs is less since they last for years or even decades.

My point is simple. We pay attention to items that have gone up in price. Those increases may not reflect our overall increases.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Funny how gas and oil are at four year lows just before election time, eh?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Funny how gas and oil are at four year lows just before election time, eh?
I agree, sorta clear the oil industry is pushing for a Democratic victory. Right?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
I still think it's all manipulation. Big cats playing monopoly with real buildings.

That would make sense they would want a Dem victory seeing as how their profits have been sky high since they took over.

And the COLA does not factor in energy costs, I believe. Hence the paltry number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement