Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Sign View Post
I would love to count on our government to show up when you need them, but the truth is we're broke.
Government might be 'broke' but they seem to have plenty of money.

And seniors are now a huge voting block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 AM

11,124 posts, read 9,756,639 times
It depends.

Will you have a pension? Will you have inheritance? Will your home be paid off? Will you rent? Where in the world will you live? Will you live alone or with others who either depend on you or have money of their own? Will you be subsidizing adult children or elderly parents? Will you work part-time? Will you travel? What will you want to be doing to pass your time now that you don't work all day?

It's impossible to say what anyone will need without knowing how you intend to live. It is possible to live on virtually any amount of money or no money at all, you just probably wouldn't intentionally want to live that way.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
I see this question often and it is ridiculous to ask. There are many retirement calculators out there that will tell you, if you input expenses, lifestyle, net worth etc. No one can tell you, you have to do the work yourself.

Do this work and you have the answer, simple. Do you have to have a million dollars? Maybe. 2 million? maybe.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
The amount of money "financial experts" say is needed for your retirement is directly proportional to the amount they are planning to steal.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I pretty much do, but that still means I need to itemize out what I spent that $100 on at Target. Was it the shampoo I went into the store for, or the scarf I didn't really need? It would take discipline, but I like the idea of living like I AM retired for a year, and see how much we really needed. You have the extra bonus of throwing any excess into the retirement fund.
Don't make this the 800lb gorilla in the living room! Start with one month. The debit card is a great high tech solution. The low tech solution is to get a small notebook and a pencil. And you aren't allowed to spend if you don't write it down first!

This is a great thing for anyone to do!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:37 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
It doesn't really matter how much you need. The reality is, at some point you will retire. You may choose to do so, or your health or boss may decide that for you. Prepare as much as you can between now and then. So, you won't have a million? Oh well. Something is better than nothing; just do what you can.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:05 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
My parents retired with little savings but my Dad worked until he was 70 to increase his social security and to have enough years with the state to get a small pension - currently $1K a month. They paid off their home, a house worth only about $120K in a small town, and had about $50K in CDs. It was a low budget retirement but suited them as their main pleasures were spending time with family, reading, camping, and hunting (Dad).

Old 10-08-2014, 04:39 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
We have neighbors whose pensions bring in $800/month, and they do okay. Plus if you need to, there are government programs that might help.

I bring in around $1500/month, my employer still provides medical coverage for us. So certainly do not need any other programs.

We have friends who have not retired yet, but they are very worried as they project to have around $4500/month, and they do not think they can survive on it.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:47 PM

106,661 posts, read 108,810,853 times
it all depends where and what they want their retirement to be. heck for all the things i would love to do in life and sample no amount would be large enough.the more i had the more i would live our dreams and wants..

this is the last down and there are no do overs so i always wanted the biggest retirement budget i could manage to raise and that was a life long goal for me.. there were times i had 3 different jobs going between my day job , my drumming career on weekends and an hvac service company i started for doing side work at night.
sure
as i said many times, i grew up in a nyc housing project at not much above the poverty level and i made sure never going back was ever going to be an option no matter what ..

my to do list in life was a mile long and although i can't afford it all i hope to at least do the priority things on it. so for us, how much doi we need for retiremernt? as much as we can get.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-08-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 PM

234 posts, read 219,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it all depends where and what they want their retirement to be. heck for all the things i would love to do in life and sample no amount would be large enough.the more i had the more i would live our dreams and wants..

this is the last down and there are no do overs so i always wanted the biggest retirement budget i could manage to raise and that was a life long goal for me.. there were times i had 3 different jobs going between my day job , my drumming career on weekends and an hvac service company i started for doing side work at night.
sure
as i said many times, i grew up in a nyc housing project at not much above the poverty level and i made sure never going back was ever going to be an option no matter what ..

my to do list in life was a mile long and although i can't afford it all i hope to at least do the priority things on it. so for us, how much doi we need for retiremernt? as much as we can get.
Wish you all the best and im very pleased to hear everyones opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement