U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,951,905 times

Advertisements

Asheville has very cold winters, very high crime within the city and is in general, an ugly city. There are some nice towns around Asheville, but we found that most of them have that rich/poor - good/bad side of town that isn't appealing to us - we don't want to drive by the auto parts storage lot every time we go in and out of town - so many towns in the south are like that. Nice houses can be quite pricey in some of the suburbs. We made two trips to Asheville to check it out as a retirement spot and quite frankly, we just don't get it - it was not appealing to us at all.

Biltmore Estate is wonderful and it is worth going to asheville just to visit that fabulous place.

We haven't been to Oregon.

We have been to KY many times and plan to retire there. There is rain, humidity, heat and cold - but there are also 4 seasons each with its own beauty and long stretches of gorgeous weather, a cheaper cost of living than most other states, very nice people and it is very centrally located. You can drive to Chicago in a few hours, New York or DC in a day. Asheville in 5 hours, Atlanta in 6. Lots of beautiful neighborhoods with reasonably priced housing...some very posh areas also. Great restaurants, arts, museums, shopping - a very nice airport and a choice of good hospitals.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-31-2007 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,224 times
The cost of living in western Oregon, as well as the gloomy winter weather, makes me hesitant about Oregon. But it sounds like you live in eastern OR. What is the winter weather like there?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,247,596 times
You talking to me? I hope so because I'm going to answer.

No I live in western Oregon at the coast. I have lived some other places in Oregon including eastern Oregon for about ten years. I lived in the Columbia river Gorge area. It was windy a lot for one thing. There was snow in winter with ice. It stayed freezing cold a lot. I didn't care for the winter weather myself. Summers got pretty warm. Fall or spring weather was short. It is dryer out there than western Oregon. It's all going to depend on what kind of weather and lifestyle you want.

There are several small cities to choose from in eastern Oregon that are not too expensive. La Grande,Pendleton and Baker City are a few of them. Bend and Hood River are a lot more costly.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 18,479 times
Default Kentucky, Asheville area, or Oregon

My wife and I retired to Louisville, KY this past summer. We also had looked at the Asheville area, as well as Raleigh-Durham. We found Asheville to be very expensive and isolated, although we had an excellent time and liked it as a vacation spot.

We chose Louisville, as KY does have 4 seasons, is reasonable for living costs, and the people have been friendly. We did not find that at all in Raleigh-Durham, where we were told that no many New Englanders were already there.

We have been to Lexington, which is a little small for our tastes, but it is the horse capital of the world, with stuff to do. Louisville has a larger mix of people of varying views and has lots of activities. As mentioned, KY is nearby to other places to visit, and has 4 seasons. Yes, there has been an adjustment, as there will be when you move anywhere new, but we like our choice. Rural Kentucky has a very different vibe than the 2 biggest cities, and I would recommend you come down to visit and do internet study also.

My wife lived in Oregon years ago, and it is too rainy for us.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or