Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,930,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Both,
I have jaw, neck and back pain from stress as well as always worrying about life. I dealt with a strict employer, a mother with Alzheimer's and an alcoholic brother in law. Not much different from the rest of us.
It sounds like it would be good for you to meditate every day.

www.revolutionofspirit.com

Yoga might help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,667,682 times
Quote:
Both,
I have jaw, neck and back pain from stress as well as always worrying about life. I dealt with a strict employer, a mother with Alzheimer's and an alcoholic brother in law. Not much different from the rest of us.
Find a friendly long hair and hook up. If you've never smoked pot it can be an excellent reliever of pain and stress. I stopped 30 years ago and wish I hadn't.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,667,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think what I realized in reading this thread is why I would not want to live in an old folks community. Like my mother, who died past age 90, I don't want to just be among older people in my living situation. It makes me feel old just to visit my senior center. They hardly rock.

It amazes me that people think that just because you move to an over 55 community you never interact with others of differing ages.

It's not a prison. We are free to go outside the boundaries of the community and wander anywhere we please.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,695,631 times
"I awoke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves
When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closing in..." Bob Seger

In the Autumn of My Life

"As I've aged, it seems I have come to the autumn of my life;
Where I'm left with remnants of dreams & things that lag behind,
Yet what remains is a mellow feeling of contentedness,
It's liken to autumn -that brings a pause in time;
When life comes to rest
And one is given a chance to reflect upon the journey,
Just as the shedding of the fall trees,
We too shed ashes of things dead & left undone,
Yet there continues a vibrance to our walk,
Maybe just a little slower than before,
For now it is a joy to partake of God's many gifts;
And maybe it's enough to be thankful that I'm alive. " Jean Dament

Old 10-18-2014, 04:49 AM

2,591 posts, read 2,280,852 times
Ohbeehave,
I love what you wrote.

Please understand, I am not feeling sad or sorry for myself. It was just the moment. Something just awoke when I heard that song and I posted my thoughts. It was meant to make us think about how free we once were. I don't want to be young again. I would not go back in time for anything. I like where I am at right now.
My neck pain is from my jaw. I have terrible TMJ and have been grinding my teeth for 30 years. I am considering purchasing a biofeedback device to slow down my grinding.

I love those words to Bob Seger's song. He said it long ago, "with autumn closing in".

Old 10-18-2014, 06:57 AM

255 posts, read 535,552 times
Who said Tilt a Whirl. From Chicago, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-pVdstQpm0

Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Do you remember Kiddie Land, I think it was close to Ogden Ave in Chicago. I used to go there all the time and ride the Tilt A Whirl.
Maybe I can find one in Asheville.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:39 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,469,965 times
Quote:
Do you remember Kiddie Land, I think it was close to Ogden Ave in Chicago. I used to go there all the time and ride the Tilt A Whirl.
Maybe I can find one in Asheville.
Asheville is a far cry from Chicago in not only distance, but everything (literally) else.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:06 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,480,189 times
What a refreshing thread this is!

I got so tired of reading all the usual stuff here in Retirement, which all boiled down to, "I'm getting ready to die...aren't you slowing down to death, too??". They didn't exactly use those words, but that was pretty much what they meant. These folks were younger than me (I'm 67), and I didn't feel that way AT ALL. And I told them so, and got replies such as, "well, you're just lucky" and that sort of rot.

Things weren't so good for me in my 20's, but they are great now. We have just moved to northern Maine, are both retired, and are looking to buy another property in Tennessee. That would be just for vacations, as we love it up here in Maine. I never did "slow down", and not planning to. As long as you have something to look forward to, have projects planned, you are very much "alive".

Go for it!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:23 AM

I saved this article a long time ago. It says that we are very happy early in life, less happy during our middle years and become happy again as we get older. I know this to be true. The older folks who are unhappy are not the norm. I for one plan on kicking up my heels and enjoying the rest of my life.

Age and happiness: The U-bend of life | The Economist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement