U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 05:00 PM

880 posts, read 2,585,494 times

Advertisements

We love to visit Santa Fe New Mexico...we spend a month there every year.
We also take cooking lessons around the country. Santa Fe School of Cooking, and a variety of Viking Cooking Schools (formerly called HomeChef).

Another thing we love doing is poking around local history museums. We love the museum in Bisby AZ and the farming museum in Las Cruces New Mexico. We've stumbled on some cool museums in Pleasanton, CA., Berryville, ARK. The history museum in Springfield MO is cool...the trail of tears go thru Springfield. We visited the HOPS museum in Toppenish WA...museum was very interesting and the town has murals painted on buildings around town.
We've visited several potato chip factories (I know not museums but lots of fun) ....loved the one on Route 11 in Virgina.

Anybody have favorite little less touristy museums or quirky areas to poke around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
"NW Steam-up" Brooks, OR, last weekend in July and first in Aug
free concerts in Portland. OR parks in Aug

Pioneer Village, Minden, NE (good camping here, admission included!)

Farm Museum in Lynden, WA
Camping / hiking in B.C.

Smithsonian's in off season

traveling the '2-lane' roads and frequenting local libraries and museums.

eventually the National Parks will have more appeal when I qualify for a Golden Passport (in about 15 yrs...).. I've been buying the Golden Eagle annually for over 30yrs, I wish they had a 'lifetime' program.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:12 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
I don't know why I didn't see this thread before. Great idea! There are some amazing museums here in Washington DC--and most of them are free. Some of the more unsuual ones include the Postal Museum, the Newseum (dedicated to the media) the National Building Museum (a very cool place) and an interesting tour through the FBI. There's also the Spy Museum, which is fun--but you have to pay admission for that.

Another favorite place of mine lately has been Cape May. We like to go off season--it lets us pretend we're part of the town.

My DH and I belong to toastmasters, and we really enjoy going to club meetings wherever we travel. If you belong to a club of any sort, I'd recommend trying this.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
the museums in Chicago are free on certain days with a library card

Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,605,753 times
check out the North Carolina JC Campbell Folk Art School in Brasstown NC. We have taken three cooking weeks there and loved each one. It is also less than taking a cruise and it is hands on the whole week.

Online they are folkschool.org. Classes about 50 weeks a year and covering hundreds and hundreds of classes. I think we are going back again this summer and when retired will come even more often.

We also are interested in the ICE Cooking School in NYC. Much more expensive but has gotten excellent reviews.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,165,035 times
Quatzsite AZ at the end of Jan or the start of Feb for the flea market and arts & crafts and gem & mineral shows. The desert is full of snowbird RVers parked all over the place. And towards the end of Jan, it does get into the 70's usually.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:12 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times
My favorite vacation is a few days at Laguna Beach, CA, during July and August when the Pageant of the Masters/Festival of the Arts is on.
Festival of Arts - Pageant of the Masters | Home | The OFFICIAL Place To Purchase Pageant of the Masters Tickets
There are lots of other art and craft related shows on at the same time and a trolley that runs between downtown and the shows, most notably the Sawdust Festival which was established as a protest against the juried show at Festival of the Arts.
Sawdust Art Festival - Official Website
I stay at Main Beach at the Hotel Laguna. Not the newest, but an "Old Hollywood" hotel with a Spencer Tracy Room and a Katherine Hepburn Room. There's a piano bar that overlooks the ocean and a terrace in the back where you can sit and watch the sun set while enjoying drinks and light food.
Can't afford it very often but really enjoy it when I can. Very nice walking town with excellent restaurants and particularly good hamburgers. Wonderful people watching.
The Mission at San Juan Capistrano (of Swallows fame) isn't far and is worth the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or