Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:43 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times

Advertisements

Were you sleeping in the kitchen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:27 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I realized I haven't shown pics with the new wall colors...
Just want to say that I'm loving your posts and including us in your adventure. I'm reading and looking at your pictures with great interest. Personally, I've spent enough time in Vegas it wouldn't be where I'd want to retire. Too dang hot in the summer. However, winters are very pleasant.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:29 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
That view from the yard is great. I would install a pool if I had that yard. Is a pool in Vegas costly?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Were you sleeping in the kitchen?
No. The dining area. "Nook" as they call it here.. The carpet in the bedroom was pretty gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
That view from the yard is great. I would install a pool if I had that yard. Is a pool in Vegas costly?
I have no idea. We've not looked into it. With 4 indoor and 3 outdoor pools at the nearby facilities we don't think we need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Just want to say that I'm loving your posts and including us in your adventure. I'm reading and looking at your pictures with great interest. Personally, I've spent enough time in Vegas it wouldn't be where I'd want to retire. Too dang hot in the summer. However, winters are very pleasant.
We are finding that the heat is tolerable. We spent three weeks here in July and August a few years ago and didn't mind the 108 degree days too much. We know it can get hotter, but when it does we'll just stay in. No different than staying in during blizzards where we used to live"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
We are finding that the heat is tolerable. We spent three weeks here in July and August a few years ago and didn't mind the 108 degree days too much. We know it can get hotter, but when it does we'll just stay in. No different than staying in during blizzards where we used to live.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
The house/apt/condo looks quite nice, and the yard is lovely & aesthetic. And love the plants/greenery.

Seems like a city to have some fun in. I'd take advantage of the many singers who give concerts in Las Vegas.

And very nice to escape the coldest parts and/or snowiest/icy parts of Iowa winters.

I don't understand finding the views gorgeous or beautiful or aesthetic or attractive though.

5 minutes total of those views would be enough forever. But views are completely unnecessary for a happy or satisfactory existence in Vegas. And I don't rate views on the agenda of finding a satisfactory place to live. I just don't find any views in Vegas attractive unless you can catch some pretty sunsets; and views in a town/city are not at the top of my list of criterion for picking a town/city.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-28-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 04:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Nice new digs Tek, thanks for posting the photos.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

We are finding that the heat is tolerable. We spent three weeks here in July and August a few years ago and didn't mind the 108 degree days too much. We know it can get hotter, but when it does we'll just stay in. No different than staying in during blizzards where we used to live.
You do get used to it and adjust your habits accordingly.
In the summer here in Texas I'm out in the morning and out in the evening.
By 10:30-11:00 am I'm heading indoors.

And here in the winters I do the opposite.
In til about 11:00 or so til it warms up to 60 and then out til 5:00 or so.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:06 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Thank you for posting all of the before and after pictures. You are doing a great job! Congratulations on your new home and I hope you'll have years of health and happiness there.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:57 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
Cool thread. Is the house mostly done now?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Great thread ! Just wonderin where is all your furniture while this is happening? Still in the Pods? or did you put it in storage? Where are you living right now? So much work but it will truly be your very own home soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement