Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:55 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, who still has a Barometer in their home? Or a thermometer outside their window? We have an old Airguide Instrument Company barometer. My husband's grandparent's had one, and although another family member inherited it, I was able to pick one up in a thrift store. Any of you other retirees and/or boomers have one? Any other sentimental older items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 02:01 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,948 times
No, but I have the APP on my iphone!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 15,291 times
My wife keeps this old man around. She says in spite of his bad habits he makes her laugh occasionally.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Just out of curiosity, who still has a Barometer in their home? Or a thermometer outside their window? We have an old Airguide Instrument Company barometer. My husband's grandparent's had one, and although another family member inherited it, I was able to pick one up in a thrift store. Any of you other retirees and/or boomers have one? Any other sentimental older items?
I have two barometers and several thermometeters including two outside windows. I use them to both predict weather and to keep a record of the temperature and humidity here. I also have a humidity gauge.

Since we're on the subject of old measuring instruments I wonder how many people have analog clocks and other gauges. I have a bunch of analog clocks; I wear an analog watch and have several others including a minute repeater (look it up ); that one's a pocket watch although wrist watch repeaters do exist..

Have you ever beeen on a tour of a power plant? You'll see many analog gauges. Studies indicate that workers can get a better perspective from an analog display than they can from a digital. The pressure gauge on my pressure cooker is analog. So is the pressure gauge on my model steam locomotive. If a battery-powered digital gauge for either were available I'd have no interest. Analog is not electronic so it's a safer way to measure potentially dangerous pressure.

I have dial calipers, not digital or electronic; my micrometers have the classic Vernier scale.

For those who enjoy using and reading about items that don't require electronics, often not even electricity, I suggest a look at a thread that I started last summer on the S-S & P forum. It's still an active thread.

Live 1880, the best time in American history.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
I'm a dinosaur. I have an outdoor thermometer, analog clocks in several rooms and an analog wristwatch, a flip track phone, landline, a corded telephone in kitchen (if electricity goes out), a wind up powered radio (also for emergencies). I don't have a smart phone, GPS, ipod or MP3 player, etc. but do have a laptop and digital camera. Since I collect antiques, I also have a knifebox, teaboxes, a couple of chamber pots, an old handpainted checkerboard, and a collection of handleless coffee cups but these are for display only. But after recent vacations to Dallas and to the San Francisco Bay Area, I am seriously considering getting a smart phone with GPS before I go on another vacation to an unfamiliar area. Despite mapquest, I spent a lot of time backtracking after missing my exits.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 10-24-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 03:18 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
No use for a barometer where I am.
Have always had a thermometer though, placed outside in the shade where I can see it from a window.
I like to know how much heat I'm hiding from

Old 10-24-2014, 06:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
We have a thermometer outside our kitchen window.

Among other throw backs.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We have a thermometer outside our kitchen window.

Among other throw backs.
Throwbacks, lol. I have quite a few of those too.

I purposely bought an analog alarm clock recently and my watch is analog. They're easier to read at a glance.

I love, and more or less have collected vintage kitchen gear. I use an egg beater rather than dragging an electric mixer out. I guess cooking itself is more or less a throw back anyway.

I got my first microwave only about ten years ago. I just didn't trust them.

We have an outdoor thermometer but no barometer.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
I have both but I never look at the barometer and never really "got" how to read it. It looks great on my bookshelf next to all those old fashioned books-on-paper. LOL

Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
In my lap sits a wooden plaque with individual analog themometer, hygrometer and barometer all made by Springfield. I picked it up in a thrift store for $4. I have analog themometers in my hallway and on the Florida room. I have a brewer's thermometer in my living room for the fun of it.

I want a full weather station but it is too easy to go to a webpage with the locals school's info on it so why bother?

All of my watches are analog though I rarely wear one...once a year if pushing it. The only digital clocks in my house are on the stove and dvd player. Digital is too sterile to me. I had a car with digital dash once and it was crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement