U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times

Advertisements

When I was younger and had more energy (20s/30s) I did most of the things I thought I wanted to do, no concept of retirement. I learned that 1) there were no jobs in Maine 2) I prefer running water in my habitation 3) I am not a new person in Santa Fe. 4) I don't need to be in the Peace Corps 5) A home feeling is more important to me than traveling 6) I can pay off school loans and different ventures, it just sets me back each time 7) the world does not need another saxophone player with a tin ear for chords.

So retirement? I just think of it as a time where I will take those few trips I still want to (and can handle with my back injuries incurred at work), I love my home and love to be home and read and look at nature out the windows and watch my rescue dogs sleep peacefully, if not working, I'll have the energy to attend various meetings/groups that I do not have the energy for between night shifts (Buddhist group, atheist group, lectures, free concerts at local excellent music school) and might even have the energy to volunteer. When younger, I tutored refugees in English even though working lots of hours, and really liked it.
Read some of the thousands of books still waiting.
Maybe work some weekends (an option) to avoid pounding on my retirement money too hard and too soon.
Oh, and yes, exercise. There's always that. Any day now.
Work isn't fascinating. It's more that it exhausts me so I do little else. I still want to save the world, just not one person at a time for pay and benefits.
Yes, I worry about social contacts, having never married, not wanted kids, forever unattached. I don't think I'll worry any more than I do now, though. I also intend to have enough money to hire out tasks that I don't want to do or can't do- something I do now, come to think of it.
I might even learn how to cook well. Or at all.
Keep up better correspondence with far-flung friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:47 PM

414 posts, read 1,469,937 times
You'll find things to do to stave off boredom when the time comes. My DH retired a year ago from the high-pressure world of finance. He is happy as a clam, spending his days doing photography and chatting with people in a photography forum. He loves to cook and plans all our meals. He does the shopping too. He reads, drive around taking pictures and generally relaxes.

It all depends on what floats your boat.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,977,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post

It all depends on what floats your boat.

But, some folks believe that if they stop rowing, the boat will sink.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 PM

36 posts, read 88,811 times
Speaking as a health care professional; I say retirement is the harbinger of slow, painful death. I intend to take up sky diving, rock climbing, hang gliding or any other dangerous strenuous activity. I'm not interested in rotting teeth, digestive problems, blood problems, dementia, or any number of ailments clearly associated with advanced aging.

My 2 cents

Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,281,561 times
I can't imagine being bored. I can think of so many things to do...

I want to plant a garden. I like to cook. I enjoy photography. I have people to visit, places to drive to.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:53 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,977,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
...I intend to take up sky diving, rock climbing, hang gliding or any other dangerous strenuous activity. I'm not interested in rotting teeth, digestive problems, blood problems, dementia, or any number of ailments clearly associated with advanced aging...
I would think that a better way to avoid those afflictions that you fear would be to live a healthy lifestyle which includes a good diet and a non-toxic stress free environment rather than jumping out of planes or climbing on rocks.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:31 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,330,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'd ask, what about working is so fascinating?
Basically the human body is designed to work. It is designed to work by day and sleep by night. You have to remember that we humans came about thousands of years ago and we have only been "modern" for a very short amount of the time we have been here. The very concept or idea of "retirement" is really less than 100 years old. Much the same with electric light which fools the human body's natural clock. We have not evolved nearly as fast as technology has. So when one retires, unless he finds something meanningful to occupy his "work hours", my feeling is that it cannot be good for his body and mind.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:43 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Well, yes. You do have to find something meaningful to do with your time. If you can't, then you probably shouldn't retire. Each person defines what is meaningful to him or herself and it isn't necessarily paid work.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 AM

36 posts, read 88,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I would think that a better way to avoid those afflictions that you fear would be to live a healthy lifestyle which includes a good diet and a non-toxic stress free environment rather than jumping out of planes or climbing on rocks.
Do you know how many 100 year old patients I've attended? I'm sure you can't imagine the torturous existence they endured. Having been there and dealt with it, I have the benefit of experience. Oat Bran, water, tooth brushing et al won't help you.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:44 AM

10,361 posts, read 9,388,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
But, some folks believe that if they stop rowing, the boat will sink.
It's all relative to each person's attitude....some people are basically negative and whether they are working or retired, life is nothing but doom and gloom. Others are basically optimistic and make the best out of everything in their life.

Some people live to work, and others work to pay the bills and make life their priority. I believe in loving my life and liking my work, not the opposite. Work for me is not a means of mentally surviving; it is a means of financially surviviing at this stage.

And some need the daily structure of a job to get them up and moving....while others are self-motivated and don't need a job to get them out of bed.

Again, different strokes for different folks. Blaming retirement as the cause for becoming a couch potato is not accurate.

My father-in-law blamed retirement and everyone on the planet as his excuse for sitting in front of the tv all day.....but then, while working, he blamed his boss and anyone he could think of for being unhappy about having to go to work every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or