U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 02:08 PM

15 posts, read 49,456 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from So. California (Mission Viejo/San Juan Capistrano and went to University in San Diego). I currently live outside of Austin, TX - and I love the endless sunny days -- we moved here 3 years ago, after 15 gloomy years in Seattle. What I do miss is getting away to the mountains. We had a cabin in the Methow Valley when we lived in Seattle and would go over to the snow and go cross-country skiing during the winter. As much as I love the Texas Hill Country, I think when the kids are all out of school, only 5 more years, we'll have to find a spot within a few hours of good cross-country skiing.

Where can I find a mixture of these elements?
- Sun, Sun, Sun
- Moderate winters
- Close to mountains with cross-country (Nordic) skiing
- NOT close to downhill skiing
- NOT close to snow mobiling
- Affordable housing
- Neighbors not living on top of one another (we currently have 3 acres)
- Within 45 minutes to a college town

Does this place exist?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:52 PM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
uh... Foothills of the Front Range in Colorado, somewhere near Colorado Springs?
Is there cross-country skiing around the Sandia Mountains near Albuquerque?
What is "affordable?" Sounds like Texas is very affordable, and most places like you're describing likely aren't.
Good luck- it sounds like a very nice place when you find it.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:33 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
Mt. Lassen area in CA comes to mind...great cross-country skiing, beautiful blue-sky in winter and though it may get quite a bit of snow, it doesn't seem bitterly cold...not sure about your university/college requirement there, though.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Albuquerque. Most places with mountains and reliable snow will have downhill too. Just don't go there. Not sure what will qualify as a moderate winter coming from S Cal and TX but I'm thinking the southern tier states are more to your liking.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Mt. Lassen area in CA comes to mind...great cross-country skiing, beautiful blue-sky in winter and though it may get quite a bit of snow, it doesn't seem bitterly cold...not sure about your university/college requirement there, though.
Oh I really love that spot (Lassen) but... I think the tax issues of CA would kill the fun.

I'd consider western slope of CO, probably near Grand Junction, Gunnison is nice too, but COLD. Also consider Sheridan and Powell WY, they are pretty temperate for WY... and close to Bighorns or the NE entrance to Yellowstone (remote and VERY nice)
All these places have Jr Colleges (which is high on my list too, as long as they have a lap pool)

I lived in NO Colo front range for 25 yrs (26 yrs ago... before WA) and the pollution and traffic has just gotten worse... otherwise, I would look at Loveland, CO. RMNP near Estes Park is 3/4 hr away and a very good "quiet" outdoor spot, + the Snowy Range in WY is less than 2 hrs away, and it is quite spectacular, and lightly used. The winters in Loveland are really 'banana-belt', (in storm shadow). I rode my bicycle or MC to work all but three days the last year we lived there. It has a nice "bronze" sculptor park, be sure to see that, and also the similar stuff in Estes. My friends who have lived in Loveland and Estes, say it is better to live in Loveland, and enjoy Estes on the nice days, the cold continuous wind in winter can get really old.

I think a 'loop trip' through CO and WY will allow you to find a nice spot. The property taxes are gonna keep from returning to WA. Both CO and WY are moderate to low on taxes. One of my friends (single mother) has a vacant 2.5 acre piece of rural in SW WA and I was looking at her taxes 'on-line' last eve... They were ~ $2500 - $2800, for last 5 yrs, then last year jumped to $6900, and this year to $8500. This is VACANT land mind you... no cash flow, she is struggling to buy groceries, much less pay the taxes on this place + her home. My WA property taxes went from $800 to $8000 in 10 yrs, now are $12,000/yr. (sounds like TX??)

Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
I was thinking Chico, CA - state univ is there, definitely moderate mild winters. I don't know about the costs and it isn't SoCal sunny but sunny by most people's standards. Lassen is easy to get to from the south advance and the mountains up there are beautiful and mild. I was thinking CO, WY, would be much too cold for a SoCal. Banana belt is very relative but a Californian is going to think it is really rough.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM

880 posts, read 2,584,839 times
Default skiing and mild winters..

Don't know your definition of "affordable" but Jackson/Pioneer area of California might fit your bill. The property taxes are fixed to a certain degree so you won't get the big variations you might have in other states. It's close to Kirkwood and those areas which have downhill, boarding, and Xcountry.

Or you might think about the Hiway 50 or 80 corridor. Lots of little towns up there above the fog line. Fairly close to skiing and to Sac.

Colorado has some nice areas, but I wouldn't deem them having "mild" winters.

Then there is New Mexico..again, not sure what you call mild, but compared to Wisc. they are very mild. Compared to So. CA they are cold. Taos, Angel Fire, all have skiing.

Good luck on the hunt.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,060,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyTexas View Post
I'm originally from So. California (Mission Viejo/San Juan Capistrano and went to University in San Diego). I currently live outside of Austin, TX - and I love the endless sunny days -- we moved here 3 years ago, after 15 gloomy years in Seattle. What I do miss is getting away to the mountains. We had a cabin in the Methow Valley when we lived in Seattle and would go over to the snow and go cross-country skiing during the winter. As much as I love the Texas Hill Country, I think when the kids are all out of school, only 5 more years, we'll have to find a spot within a few hours of good cross-country skiing.

Where can I find a mixture of these elements?
- Sun, Sun, Sun
- Moderate winters
- Close to mountains with cross-country (Nordic) skiing
- NOT close to downhill skiing
- NOT close to snow mobiling
- Affordable housing
- Neighbors not living on top of one another (we currently have 3 acres)
- Within 45 minutes to a college town

Does this place exist?

Thanks.
Since you live fairly close to the Kerrville area, would that be kind of what you're describing?

Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM

20 posts, read 54,494 times
Pinetop/Lakeside, Arizona; Cottonwood, Arizona. These would be accessible to Flagstaff which, itself, is quite expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or