Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

LMAO!

Probably RAM. Games require a lot of memory. I'd check with him before buying anything, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 01:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
I want the new Civilization Beyond Earth.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:01 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Where you do it is less important that doing it. I think it keeps our minds sharper. And it's a lot of fun!
It does keep our minds sharper. I really love Escape Games 24.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 PM

134 posts, read 158,409 times
Wow player here. I swear my focus and awareness improved in rl driving on the road because of it! Helps my reflexes and exercises the brain when a new expac comes out, and I have to relearn my toon >.<

My SO and I play together. My kids roll their eyes, lol.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 PM

Yeah. Kids today.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:09 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
A PC on the other hand is almost always going to have the ability to play older games.

What game and where are you having trouble? I'll bet I can get it to load
There are several games I've had trouble with, I play some obscure 3rd party wargames that you probably would not recognize. Trust me I know all the tricks to get them to play in 8.1 - compatability mode, administrative settings, switches, changing to windowed mode, changing resolutions, and sometimes actually getting into the game data and modifying it, etc. Most of them I have managed to get working, with some quirks, but the point is what I am able to do, besides simply changing compatability settings, is not practical for most PC users.

A few games, even with all the tricks I know, do not work in 8.1. For those I actually have to add an XP virtual drive using VMWARE. Again, impractical for most users because it's lots of work and takes some PC knowledge.

OK one mainstream game I can think of that will absolutely not work in 8.1 without the XP virtual drive: Medieval Total War (the first one). I think there are websites however that have entire lists of games that are not compatible with 8.1, it's not a short list.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
okay.. I'd like to play games on my computer but my son say's I don't have enough something or other to do that.

If you know what I'm talking about, because I sure don't... is there something I could buy or install?
RAM, video card, CPU too slow. Could be a variety of reasons. Sometimes you can upgrade, but it comes to a time where if a system gets too old and you just need to replace everything, i.e. buy or make a new PC.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:24 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There are several games I've had trouble with, I play some obscure 3rd party wargames that you probably would not recognize. Trust me I know all the tricks to get them to play in 8.1 - compatability mode, administrative settings, switches, changing to windowed mode, changing resolutions, and sometimes actually getting into the game data and modifying it, etc. Most of them I have managed to get working, with some quirks, but the point is what I am able to do, besides simply changing compatability settings, is not practical for most PC users.

A few games, even with all the tricks I know, do not work in 8.1. For those I actually have to add an XP virtual drive using VMWARE. Again, impractical for most users because it's lots of work and takes some PC knowledge.

OK one mainstream game I can think of that will absolutely not work in 8.1 without the XP virtual drive: Medieval Total War (the first one). I think there are websites however that have entire lists of games that are not compatible with 8.1, it's not a short list.
There's a number of things that you can do to get older games to work, one of them you already mentioned (VM Ware). Getting into the specifics is indeed as you said unconventional.

My point however is that PC's are for the most part backwards compatible with just about everything and forwards compatible up until a certain point. Most consoles however are not. This kind of stemmed from another poster that complained that it sucks that after you buy a new console that console won't play the games of the previous console... while not 100% true for every console out there, it is at least mostly true.

It is also at least "mostly true" that most games that were released for the pc years and years prior will work on new PC systems. It is also true that there are some compatibility issues with some of the games out there. These compatibility issues are software related and are fixable in almost all cases.

I understand the convenience with a console as I've had many of them growing up and I also understand that some people don't want to tinker with things to get them to work, they just want them to work. I personally do not mind.

For what it's worth I haven't been able to find a game new or old that did not run on my system. I've found a handful of older programs that wouldn't run without some tinkering, but games I have not.

I also think it's a shame how much consoles are being under scaled and frame limited. PC's are capable of significantly higher resolutions and frame rates which consoles are not capable of. Games just "look" better on PC and there's not much to argue against that. The other reason I dislike consoles is the willful disabling of keyboard + mouse support by game developers (pushed by console makers).

If I could play on a console with keyboard + mouse natively I would be significantly more likely to buy one for fun.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
There's a number of things that you can do to get older games to work, one of them you already mentioned (VM Ware). Getting into the specifics is indeed as you said unconventional.

My point however is that PC's are for the most part backwards compatible with just about everything and forwards compatible up until a certain point. Most consoles however are not. This kind of stemmed from another poster that complained that it sucks that after you buy a new console that console won't play the games of the previous console... while not 100% true for every console out there, it is at least mostly true.

It is also at least "mostly true" that most games that were released for the pc years and years prior will work on new PC systems. It is also true that there are some compatibility issues with some of the games out there. These compatibility issues are software related and are fixable in almost all cases.

I understand the convenience with a console as I've had many of them growing up and I also understand that some people don't want to tinker with things to get them to work, they just want them to work. I personally do not mind.

For what it's worth I haven't been able to find a game new or old that did not run on my system. I've found a handful of older programs that wouldn't run without some tinkering, but games I have not.

I also think it's a shame how much consoles are being under scaled and frame limited. PC's are capable of significantly higher resolutions and frame rates which consoles are not capable of. Games just "look" better on PC and there's not much to argue against that. The other reason I dislike consoles is the willful disabling of keyboard + mouse support by game developers (pushed by console makers).

If I could play on a console with keyboard + mouse natively I would be significantly more likely to buy one for fun.
The main reason I stopped playing on PCs was (at that time) lack of decent controllers. I hate the mouse keyboard combo.

I always say that if everyone liked the same things life would be boring.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:01 PM

88 posts, read 80,567 times
No.

I have never seen the attraction of video games. I have to admit that back in the 1990s I tried a Mario game on a Nintendo 64, but it did nothing for me. Neither did Angry Birds or Candy Crush or any of the other plethora of mind numbing garbage that people seem to be so very enamored of. I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement