Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times

Advertisements

What kind of area was the restaurant in?

It's a lot more common to hear profanity laced speech in lower class areas, at least around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Every generation complains about the next generation. Didn't your parents complain about your hair and say your music was from the devil?
I don't complain about their music as long as they don't play it so loud as to make me hear it. But then in most cases civil behavior is learned ;not natural really. I consider that as nothing more than a excuse really.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:23 PM

206 posts, read 382,782 times
Kids! They are disobedient, disrespectful oafs! Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers! Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way?

What's the matter with kids today?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NqDtJuFtE

Last edited by Nedibes; 11-13-2014 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: ETA: Adams, Lee. "Kids." Bye Bye Birdie. 1960. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NqDtJuFtE

Old 11-13-2014, 07:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
We went to a restaurant today.

Sat near some young (40s) people who s
Conversation consisted of every other word an fbomb.

C'mon you re in a public place.

This isn't the first time either.
Has this happened to you? What to do?
Unfortunately it is a bit of both and I have had my moments with cursing however, not in public and it is usually when I am home alone and the only ones who can hear me are the two cats and the dog.

If the cursing gets to be too much for us we will request a different table or just get to go boxes and leave.
It certainly does put a damper on enjoying one's meal though.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:32 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post
I am an RN working in the NICU of an acute care hospital. The parents of our babies often present with a very entitled & disrespectful attitude. Having had a newborn in the NICU myself, I understand the extreme stress that they are under & am sympathetic. However when they tell me that they "looked it up on the internet & I'm wrong" it is hard to know what to do or say. Clearly dialogue is not invited.

I think the internet has bred a generation who believes that they posess all knowledge, therefore respect for a professional goes right out the window.

Really, I do know what I'm doing & I'm here to help! That's why I got out of bed this morning!
Yeap, I notice this attitude of self-entitlement myself and I cringe. I think that the behavior is a repercussion of having kids who grew up without their parents directly being there a majority of the times to teach them values. We're now living in an era where it's normal to have the younger generation co-exist and live under the same roof as the 1st and 2nd generation (parents and grandparents). A two-income household is no longer sustainable, and at the same time, we still have kids who don't have parents who are there, hands-on as much as say.. children born in the U.S. in the 60s/70s. There is a noticeable generational change, and it's not your typical "Oh, every generation criticizes the next one and before." We're living in an Internet age combined with "Reality Tv-show" gen y'ers in which reality TV shows aren't based on reality- just promotes more rude, obnoxious, narcissistic behavior to occupy the minds of people, and to prevent them from seeing the real sociocultural political issues at hand. On top of that, a lot of misinformation and streamlining of filtered information found on the Net surely breeds ignorance, stupidity, and a lack of respect for knowledge and education.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:32 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
As a matter of fact, my mother wasn't too happy when I closed the bedroom door, lit the incense, and blasted this song Country Joe & the Fish –

But those were the good old days. Well, at least for me.
Love that F.....g song! Perhaps the younger folks just don't know how to use it with style.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:54 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I lost a very good man because he used the 'f' word way too often and I couldn't deal with it, That was about 30 years ago and it stull saddens me.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Yeap, I notice this attitude of self-entitlement myself and I cringe. I think that the behavior is a repercussion of having kids who grew up without their parents directly being there a majority of the times to teach them values. We're now living in an era where it's normal to have the younger generation co-exist and live under the same roof as the 1st and 2nd generation (parents and grandparents). A two-income household is no longer sustainable, and at the same time, we still have kids who don't have parents who are there, hands-on as much as say.. children born in the U.S. in the 60s/70s. There is a noticeable generational change, and it's not your typical "Oh, every generation criticizes the next one and before." We're living in an Internet age combined with "Reality Tv-show" gen y'ers in which reality TV shows aren't based on reality- just promotes more rude, obnoxious, narcissistic behavior to occupy the minds of people, and to prevent them from seeing the real sociocultural political issues at hand. On top of that, a lot of misinformation and streamlining of filtered information found on the Net surely breeds ignorance, stupidity, and a lack of respect for knowledge and education.
Early 50-something Xer perspective: With our latch-key upbringing, it is true that our parents were significantly less hands on than the parents of kids even 5 years older. But that is only part of the story. The parents (who were ranging in cohort from mid-Silent Gen to leading edge Boomers) themselves had an increasingly permissive attitude regarding parental imposition of discipline, and, the social grooming of their kids. Now here I sit, facing the tail end of life, seeing so many missed developmental opportunities and gaps in my finishing. At least I am self aware of these issues, many of my cohort and even more of the younger Middle Aged cohorts are not.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
1) It is not JUST the young people. Some of the older people have THE SAME PROBLEM.
2) And you hear it as much in affluent areas as in blue collar.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think perhaps that is a misconception about boomers and the mid 60's.Most where not hippies and most serviced when asked by uncle Sam. For most nothing changed in behavior required in 1964. Our lifes went on a much like our parents and older sisters and brothers. My mother often remarked that the mid 60;s's where much like the 20's when she came of age. She said what ended that was WWII and the depression. It made to think she said and decide what world you wanted to live in. My parents allowed me many freedoms but neither bad manners like you see now days. My younger relative do not do nay different ;so I think its pretty individual as to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement