Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:57 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
My new neighbor happens to be an attorney that specializes in SSDI cases, assuming that is what you applied for. According to her it almost always goes to the hearing level before being approved. Also depending on your age they may deem you able to work if you can physically do sedentary work. I believe over the age of 55, you only have to show you can not do the work you have been accustomed too as long as you have no transferable skills to do sedentary work.
I don't agree, and that was not my experience, either. I am much younger than 55 and was approved on my first attempt without any hearings or appeals, with the assistance of an experienced law firm. However, I have several longstanding medical conditions with a lot of accompanying medical documentation, rather than only one, and many people apply when they have just one condition, and are denied. When hiring a lawyer, they first review your case to see if they want to help you, based on whether they think you will win your case. They took my case on contingency and got me my benefits in just a few months. Paying them their contingency fee was worth every dollar. To the OP, I strongly suggest you hire an attorney to help you. It is very hard (oftentimes impossible) to get benefits on your own, but a lawyer can do all the necessary hoop jumping and help you get them faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:52 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie0202 View Post
Applied this past October. Was diagnosed with multi level degenerative arthritis in the 2 discs in the lower lumbar region of my spine.
My symptoms are, pain in hips, outer thighs going numb, cannot bend my legs from pain coming behind my knee area. This all happens after I'm on my feet for over a half hour. Worsens as I stand longer.
I work retail and there are many days I can barely make it to my car and have to pretty much slide into the seat because bending my legs is so painful.

The disability board set up two doctors appointments for me. So far I've only had my hips and spine x-rayed. I'm hoping they will now x-ray my knee area.

I've known some who have gotten disability benefits but it took them over 2 years. I don't know that I can work 2 more years with this constant pain. Does it always take that long to be granted disability?

Anyone else have these same issues?

Thanks
Read up on the disability "requirements" for SSD. Here is a link to get you started.
Listing of Impairments - Adult Listings (Part A)

Its kind of like the VA disability. They have exam worksheets with conditions and levels you must meet before you get XYZ. You can't just walk in and say my back hurts.

Its tedious reading and research, so probably why so many use a lawyer - but it is all there in black and white. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,409,691 times
So, I think you are going to have a hard time. I know a few in your age group that are marginally employed, now trying to apply for disability with weak cases. It doesn't go well, and it is slow.

How about get on the computer, take a medical billing training course online from a local community college. With your skills/abilities (you have them), you could do ok. Even better, you may be able to work part time, from home, once you get some training. I would invest in this rather than a lawyer. If you can put off starting to collect social security early by trying to get a little more work in that would be good in the long run.

And I would get to a physical therapist through your doctor and learn the exercises you should be doing to preserve function. If you really have numbness on both legs, I am worried that you might need surgery, but we have no idea what your situation really is. I hope you have close follow-up with your doctors (a neurosurgeon?). Do not stop going to your doctor.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
So, I think you are going to have a hard time. I know a few in your age group that are marginally employed, now trying to apply for disability with weak cases. It doesn't go well, and it is slow.

How about get on the computer, take a medical billing training course online from a local community college. With your skills/abilities (you have them), you could do ok. Even better, you may be able to work part time, from home, once you get some training. I would invest in this rather than a lawyer. If you can put off starting to collect social security early by trying to get a little more work in that would be good in the long run.

And I would get to a physical therapist through your doctor and learn the exercises you should be doing to preserve function. If you really have numbness on both legs, I am worried that you might need surgery, but we have no idea what your situation really is. I hope you have close follow-up with your doctors (a neurosurgeon?). Do not stop going to your doctor.
Good advice.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:13 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,662 times
OP - most states now have "direct access" for physical therapy, meaning you do not need to be referred to a PT by a physician. Check your state on this map:
About Direct Access - Direct Access For Physical Therapy
Ask around for a competent PT and go see him/her, at least for an initial evaluation. If you have health insurance, it should cover most of the cost.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:16 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't agree, and that was not my experience, either. I am much younger than 55 and was approved on my first attempt without any hearings or appeals, with the assistance of an experienced law firm. However, I have several longstanding medical conditions with a lot of accompanying medical documentation, rather than only one, and many people apply when they have just one condition, and are denied. When hiring a lawyer, they first review your case to see if they want to help you, based on whether they think you will win your case. They took my case on contingency and got me my benefits in just a few months. Paying them their contingency fee was worth every dollar. To the OP, I strongly suggest you hire an attorney to help you. It is very hard (oftentimes impossible) to get benefits on your own, but a lawyer can do all the necessary hoop jumping and help you get them faster.
what about a telemarketing job or customer service job for the op where they can sit all day? i am not quite sure why other jobs that do not require standing would not be ok.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:06 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You should be able to apply for regular SS at age 62. Less than a year to go. Why bother with the hassle of SSDI? It can't be that much more money. Do you have your 40 quarters in?
The problem there is the reduction in benefits due to early retirement.

If someone were entitled to $1,200 at age 66 if they retire at 62 they'll get around $900 instead and I think every one will agree that represents a substantial difference in standard of living.

On a side note I know of one lady who lives on $800/month and it isn't pretty.

If she gets on disability that disability will last until her FRA at which time she will collect her FRA benefit of $1,200 meaning she will receive an additional $300/month for the rest of her life.

And finally there is Medicare.

Two years after you receive disability you are automatically put on Medicare regardless of age. To someone who is 61 years old and 4 years from the normal Medicare collection year of 65 this is very significant in terms of insurance and health care costs.

And to the OP, please get an attorney now. It speeds things up and they don't cost as much as you might think.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:07 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The stories run the gamut. You are in CA - a far more liberal state than some. But, then again, it is also the judge in your area. Another judge, another part of the state, your son might have been denied. There are so many variables. We had a former worker in SSDI say approvals after five months were routine. You are the first I've read who has actually experienced that. Best is usually nine months, with 67% being denied the first time (I heard this a C-Span a few months ago) and having to appeal, and waiting on average two years.

Fast approval is not the norm - although I had a friend and son who were both approved without a hassle. This was 15 years ago. In her case, 58 y/o, blind in one eye, a shattered ankle, adult son w/epileptic seizures who actually had a seizure when the doc was examining him. I don't think they waited all that long, either.
He never went before a judge, so whether the judge was liberal or not does not factor in to this. From the time he applied until he received a check, it was 5 months and one week. He presented all of his medical records, and SS made appointments for him to see two other doctors, one of them was busy and it took about 2 months to get an appointment or it probably would have been approved somewhat sooner.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:16 AM

92 posts, read 122,591 times
Default I've tried all that

Have you ever tried applying for a job with little to no skills at my age? I was actually told by a job agency that it would be a waste of her time to try and find me a job.
As far as going back to school or doing physical therapy, that all takes money.
I have no extra money. If it weren't for my family I'd be on the street.
I rent from family and they hold my rent checks. Right now they are holding 6 months back rent because I can't afford to pay them.
I have no insurance, can't afford it. I tried getting subsidy for OB care but my state did not extend Medicaid, so no go there. I went through all the hoops of OB, appealed it, etc, still did not get the subsidy.

My doctor gave me exercises to do, they did not help. I can't even lye flat on the floor with my head touching the floor.

I'm not going to feel guilty for trying to extend the quality of my life by not having to stand on my feet for hours at a time losing feeling and unable to bend my legs. I am not going to apologize for applying for disability or for hoping that I don't have to work any longer than I have to in constant pain and not being able to do my job correctly because some people think I'm just looking for a "way out."

I'm thinking that if I keep going, pushing myself, surgery is closer than further away. I am trying to avoid surgery. My doctor told me that my condition would not get any better, only worse and that down the road it would become more "invasive." I know what that means. I'm trying everything I can to avoid that.

I have the right to enjoy a good quality of life as long as I can.

If I need a lawyer down the road, so be it. I am just not going to do that until, or if, I am declined.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I've listened and I will do what needs to be done. But I WILL NOT apologize or back down from trying to live a long full life with as little pain as I can.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,662 times
OP - look through the thread below, you may find something suitable for your situation:
Work at Home Jobs

As for physical therapy (PT): if you live near an university that has a PT program, check out free clinics offered by PT students and faculty members. You can get treated there for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement