Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,933,224 times

Advertisements

I am wondering about what is happening to me and my DH. I am craving garlic, more onions, blue cheese and peppers while DH can't tolerate any of those things. He is 75 and I'm 68. The other morning I woke up CRAVING garlic so I had garlic toast for breakfast. Is that weird? This morning I couldn't wait to try out the new blue cheese dressing I had blending in the fridge so I had a few teaspoon fulls before breakfast.

He never has liked spicy food but now he says even tomatoes "talk back to him". He can't tolerate black pepper while he never had a problem with it before. he takes no medicines and is perfectly healthy.

I on the other hand take lots of meds but nothing new lately.

Are you finding your tastes in food changing as you get older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 12:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,398,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I am wondering about what is happening to me and my DH. I am craving garlic, more onions, blue cheese and peppers while DH can't tolerate any of those things. He is 75 and I'm 68. The other morning I woke up CRAVING garlic so I had garlic toast for breakfast. Is that weird? This morning I couldn't wait to try out the new blue cheese dressing I had blending in the fridge so I had a few teaspoon fulls before breakfast.

He never has liked spicy food but now he says even tomatoes "talk back to him". He can't tolerate black pepper while he never had a problem with it before. he takes no medicines and is perfectly healthy.

I on the other hand take lots of meds but nothing new lately.

Are you finding your tastes in food changing as you get older?
I have always liked chilies, peppers and spices and still do. The only things that have changed are my tolerances for the heat levels and the fact that I have come to like my vegetables more crisp than before and my red meats a bit less rare. It has to do with my palate more than anything else.

What hasn't changed one whit at my age of 68 is my lifelong dislike of mushrooms. Love the flavor. Can't stand the consistency. But my wife loves them so when cooking with them we cut them into pieces large enough for me to pick out and give to her.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:48 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,656,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What hasn't changed one whit at my age of 68 is my lifelong dislike of mushrooms. Love the flavor. Can't stand the consistency.
Hello Curmudgeon

Try frying your sliced mushrooms crispy brown. A little butter, a hot skillet, and one layer of mushrooms. I stand right over them until they are crisped on one side and then flip them individually. You need the heat up high enough to keep the liquid evaporated.

I never used much salt til I got my sea salt grinder. Now I salt just about everything. Oats, sweet potatoes, buttered toast, and bananas to name a few.

I've always liked savory things for breakfast. Pizza is a favorite, but anything left over from dinner works.

I don't think my taste buds have changed but I only fix things the way I like them now that I'm cooking for one.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,417,402 times
I find I'm willing to try more things - I have always been a very picky eater - still not up to trying everything - but did have a cobb salad LOL - also - used to be a Well Done for my steak kind of gal - but medium is my preference now.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,879,090 times
I haven't noticed any difference, at 61. Never liked spicy food and still love ice cream.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,939,523 times
I'm wanting sardines in olive oil on plain toast for breakfast - high in omegas and delicious.

Also attracted to Vermont buttermilk and raw greens.

Can no longer eat a heavy meal.

I seem to prefer low shallow bowls for soup instead of deep bowls. Strange.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,398,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

He never has liked spicy food but now he says even tomatoes "talk back to him". He can't tolerate black pepper while he never had a problem with it before. he takes no medicines and is perfectly healthy
A person has approximately 9,000 taste buds. That number decreases as you age. The remaining taste buds also begin to atrophy. Sensitivity to taste often declines after age 60. Usually salty and sweet tastes are lost first, followed by bitter and sour tastes.

Sounds like your husband is getting more sensitive and younger.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:29 PM

6,419 posts, read 11,572,225 times
I'm liking more various spices now than I did before. But that's because my mom cooked with salt. And once in a while, black pepper. DH (our household cook) uses spices and other flavors.

OP, it sound like your husband may be starting to have a touch of acid reflux if his food 'talks back'.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm wanting sardines in olive oil on plain toast for breakfast - high in omegas and delicious.
Have you tried kippers for breakfast? Smoked and delicious, especially on toast, preferably lightly buttered!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 11-19-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Hello Curmudgeon

Try frying your sliced mushrooms crispy brown. A little butter, a hot skillet, and one layer of mushrooms. I stand right over them until they are crisped on one side and then flip them individually. You need the heat up high enough to keep the liquid evaporated.
I've tried cooking them every way possible and still won't eat them except on pizza and as strips and cooked in a good, hot and sour soup. Those make them palatable. Besides, it's hard to get them out of the cheese on a pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement