Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:25 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,312,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Very sorry for your loss. I was a executor in VA. Don't know how CA is but we had to inform persons named in the will as to the statis. They could request the accounting of the will. But I'm sure it could also be discussed off the record between siblings .
Again sorry for your loss.
Thank you. My sister finally got up the gumption to ask. And my other sister was fine sharing what we knew. We still felt weird asking. Our parents were pretty open about how the will was written. We just didn't know how much money was going to be split. It was uncomfortable enough asking AFTER they died. I could never fathom asking before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 02:39 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,484,298 times
My Brother and Sister and I talked to Mom And Dad about their will
while the were both in the hospital at the same time.

Glad we did because there was a crazy clause in the will which said If they both
die within 30m days of each other the will would be void.

We pointed it out to them and they said get another will made and we did.

They both die within 3 weeks 21 days of each other.

According to the first will we would have lost a lot and the state
would have probable taken everything over and done their will.

With the second will we shared everything like the will said
according to Mom and Dad.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:41 PM

37,067 posts, read 42,027,507 times
My parents have a living trust that my brother and I both have copies of. It's been discussed.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:45 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,414,107 times
Am aware of a situation that actually worked out well. One sib had borrowed money over the years from a relative when other sib hadn't. Relative always said that borrowed money would come off first when splitting the estate. Turned out after the relative died, found out that he had set up two bank accounts with his name and each sibs name on one. The difference in the accounts made up the difference of what had been borrowed over the years. Took care of that problem upfront so they could split the rest down the middle as planned.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:06 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,312,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Am aware of a situation that actually worked out well. One sib had borrowed money over the years from a relative when other sib hadn't. Relative always said that borrowed money would come off first when splitting the estate. Turned out after the relative died, found out that he had set up two bank accounts with his name and each sibs name on one. The difference in the accounts made up the difference of what had been borrowed over the years. Took care of that problem upfront so they could split the rest down the middle as planned.
That's a nice way of handling it. We have one sister who has been a financial drain on our parents for decades. She's still getting a equal cut like the rest of us.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:14 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,582,961 times
I'd be feeling sorry for 88 years old not even knowing her. There are such people in the world.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:56 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,469,192 times
Quote:
Without going into all the details. My sister-in-law and her husband have for years been kind of hinting/waiting around impatiently for a inheritance of about $200K from a 88 year old living parent. That is before the parent is even deceased. Its a nice gift to receive something, but I can't stand the way they act now about it.
Anyone run into this kind of thing. I would like to give them a piece of my mind.
Some people just forget that as long as a person is alive, what they own belongs to them, not to others. Kids are not entitled to an inheritance - they do not own the assets yet.

The parent owns the assets and has the right to decide what happens. It could be spent/consumed, gifted away, or whatever is in that parent's Will.

If a child has some reason to want the assets early, they of course can ask the parent, but it is ultimately the parent's choice.

Also, a parent who gifts assets away either to charity or to their children or other family members needs to have Long-Term Care coverage for at least 5 years after the gift is made. The rules of Medicaid are very strict - if a parent gives assets to kids while still alive and then needs nursing or in-home care within 5 years of the gift, they will be unable to get Medicaid to cover it. Nursing home bills for a one-year stay at the end-of-life (fairly common) can easily run to $75,000 or even in some cases $100,000. A slightly longer stay or a stay in a "nicer" nursing home with more amenities or a higher staff: patient ratio can end up near $200,000 although that is less common.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,767,640 times
I helped an elderly woman for several years who told me that her only surviving niece had once said (about her assets), "One day this will all be mine." She also had a nephew, but, even though he lived in the same town, rarely, if ever visited. She fell one time and they both showed-up ... after first stopping by her attorney's office to check on the estate!

Unknown to them, she set-up her $million+ estate to be divided among five charities/ministries. She only left about $50K to each of her two remaining relatives. They were not very 'happy campers', but, actually got about $50K more than they deserved.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:34 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,851,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I helped an elderly woman for several years who told me that her only surviving niece had once said (about her assets), "One day this will all be mine." She also had a nephew, but, even though he lived in the same town, rarely, if ever visited. She fell one time and they both showed-up ... after first stopping by her attorney's office to check on the estate!

Unknown to them, she set-up her $million+ estate to be divided among five charities/ministries. She only left about $50K to each of her two remaining relatives. They were not very 'happy campers', but, actually got about $50K more than they deserved.
Interesting story, JG. And I agree with the last sentence about the niece and nephew getting more than they deserved. It's incredible how crude and crass some people can be.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:32 PM

33 posts, read 31,947 times
Quote:
Without going into all the details. My sister-in-law and her husband have for years been kind of hinting/waiting around impatiently for a inheritance of about $200K from a 88 year old living parent. That is before the parent is even deceased. Its a nice gift to receive something, but I can't stand the way they act now about it.
Anyone run into this kind of thing. I would like to give them a piece of my mind.

Seriously, in a case like that, I would totally give them my mind. Try to persuade them gently, but if they don't stop, go ahead and dump your mind on them as if you were applying the ice-bucket challenge .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement