U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Ideas for making transition to retirement; projects include making database of all items, researching volunteer activities, researching family history, downsizing home

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM

34,696 posts, read 33,714,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've got two years to go and I'm already starting to change the way I look at my stuff. I look around and see decades of accumulated stuff, a good deal of which I haven't used in more than 20 years. I'm starting periodically to do clean outs and stopping buying more stuff, unless it's a tool I need. It is really such a big job, that realistically, I know it will take a long time to rid myself of all that stuff I no longer need or want. I'm trying to apply the rule of not used or not loved, then out it goes.

I'm spending most of my free time on the house projects to get it refreshed for an eventual sale. After looking into what it will take to move, I'm also making lists of what I really can't part with (my antique bed) and all that stuff that I should give away right before I move because it isn't worth the high cost of moving it.

It's a huge job to clean out and remake yourself.
Think about one of those "got junk" types of companies if you are moving. I lived up a flight of stairs. To carry heavy items and heavy bags of things down the stairs and to a dumpster was impossible. I put everything I wanted to get rid of in huge trash bags and in one room. I left stuff in my closets that I didn't want and they cleaned out the closets (old clothes, shoes and stuff). I didn't lift a finger. I had boxes in my storage closet on the balcony. They cleaned it all out. I put small appliances and dishes I wanted to get rid of in that same room with the trash bags (putting everything in that one room allowed me to move around my other rooms and pack). They hauled them away and did it rather quickly. I think I filled their truck, if I remember correctly. I made a second appointment. I wasn't taking most of my furniture but up until my moving day I needed something to sleep on. They arrived the same time as the movers and took all of the furniture away that wasn't coming with me. I know I had heard radio ads where they will actually clean out your basement and haul everything away. I think they were the most important part of my relocating and I'm not kidding. Physically, I just couldn't have done it without them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,995,318 times
Never thought of a junk man but we've been donating a great deal of stuff to Big Brother's & sister's, might as well take the tax write off for it.

I have furniture I won't be moving and hope to keep it in the house as we have a friend who would like to buy our house, wouldn't that be wonderful if it fell together that easy. Been going through the closets and down sizing especially since I've been up sizing since the holidays.

Working on refreshing the house also with painting and just down right cleaning up, sometimes things get missed in your routine cleanings but this way all gets taken care of, we are marketing the house in April and if our buddy buys it as planned we will be on our schedule, (in a perfect world).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement