Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Retirees...

Is this coming year one for moving, travel, or changes in lifestyle or goals? Anything you plan to get resolved in 2015? Explorations?
I want to get more organized. Know everything I have and where it is located. Simplify. Spend less and start getting ready for my co-housing in ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 12:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
My wife retires this year and we are FINALLY settled in one place for an entire year. No more long business trips. No more four months in hotels/temp housing.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 PM

253 posts, read 377,951 times
Hubby retires in just a few weeks. This is the year that we've been working and waiting for! I'm sure that it will be a year full of excitement and stepping on toes as we try to get used to sharing the same space during the day.It is going to be wonderful to finally get our plans in motion.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:11 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Just a note to NEg thanking her for her very nice note.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hello Retirement Forum Friends -- Happy New Year to each and everyone! I've been trying to decide what to post as things that will be happening in 2015, but since I can't see into the future, I'm not sure! 2015 will definitely be a year for organizing and wading through tons of paperwork that is piled all over this house. We need to get organized and stay that way. We are expecting relatives to come down and visit in April, and need to get some long-put off repairs done on the house before then. That will be a challenge as I don't want to cause disruption for my elderly mom or the grandchild. As soon as it warms up a bit, I will be starting in on rosebush pruning, both here and at my mother's place. We do that in January/February, down here. One thing my hubby and I would like to do in 2015 is to get involved in a church again. We stopped attending a few years back and would like to start going again - we like the idea of a church family and events to go to - it may be hard to do this all together as someone may need to stay with my mom. It gets complicated!! No trips on the horizon, as we need to stay close to home. I go outside and work in my garden to de-stress - I highly recommend this! Another goal I have for this year is to do more cooking -- even Crockpot cooking can be good. So, 2015, I think, will be a hunker-down close to home year, as I take care of my dear mother, and I hope we can squeeze in some outside, in-expensive activities. Cheers!

Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
My goals are more creativity (writing!) and less hanging out with negative people whom I've allowed over the past years to bring me down.

You'll find me out there looking for kindred, optimistic folks!

Old 01-03-2015, 06:12 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My goals are more creativity (writing!) and less hanging out with negative people whom I've allowed over the past years to bring me down.

You'll find me out there looking for kindred, optimistic folks!
I second that, both more creativity and less time on negative influences. Now, where to find optimism???

Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 AM

156 posts, read 387,785 times
Newly retired for 2015...Thoughts from my last day a few weeks ago. I call it...

Old newspapers and raw onions…

My last day at work. Actually, my last hour at work…forever. I thought about going out in style….actually doing something productive. But then I realized that this is probably what I was meant to do in my last hour. Sort of like a “dead man walking” finale. And fitting for a person who really just played the game for room and board.

I think back to the beginning of it all. The slap of the newspapers I was throwing on cold porches. The evenings filing medicare EOBS(yes paper ones) with other college guys. The telephone repair job(yes dial telephones), the warehouse job, the sales job, and many others not worth mentioning or remembering; and finally, the government job. Guess in actuality, since I am going on Social Security, that I will still be on the government payroll. Calling my “career” eclectic would be one of life’s great understatements. Calling it forgettable would be the whole truth and nothing but.

What then do I leave as my legacy? An empty desk for one. Hopefully to be filled by someone who can find purpose that eluded me from the beginning. I also leave behind younger co-workers, that would most assuredly never think of me as a particularly knowledgeable employee, but for the most part seemed to enjoy my company (I think). I have always told them that when I leave, I hope within a short period that they will be saying things like…"remember that old guy…now what was his name?" And to remember that my main purpose here was amusement oriented. True. I arrived unknown and I reserve the right to continue the streak. Work has always been between the margins for me. Just enough to get by. Not enough to hint any sort of relevance. A quiet little introspective chuckle here tells me that I made that look easy. And I was rewarded financially in a fitting manner. Not to complain. I asked for it. And gave them what they paid for I guess. Then again, that may be a stretch. Ha.

A little parting advice to those entering the zone. Do not set the exact date of retirement too early. I made that mistake 4 months ago and I feel like I have been through an entire ice age waiting for this day to get here. I told them early because they requested it. My reward? They said…"We can get you to train your replacement before you leave." Now I ask you…after reading this, would you want ME to train anyone in your company? After all, my train never left the station. Low achievement is what I do. My only true achievement. So tell them with as little notice as possible. Avoid the ice age. Ha.

Hey, got to run now. Checklist-emails deleted(check), any paperwork that would mimic productive work shredded(check). Crumbs from sandwich at lunch hastily hand swept from chair I haplessly occupied (check), quick glance around the empty office to record in sentimental "when I used to work" thoughts(check). Time to X out and head for the door with wet eyes. The last time I have to pass that room where they are always peeling onions.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
^^^^^ Well, GregoryS, you have written something unusual, something different, something witty too. It was refreshing and fun to read because of the stark contrast with all the banal, trite, and hum-drum postings in the Retirement Forum. Maybe "low achievement" is what you did at work, but I would say "good achievement" in the above post.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I second that, both more creativity and less time on negative influences. Now, where to find optimism???
under O in the dictionary under optimal and above optimum.

(I just had to say that!)

Going to update my will, and look into making my own burial arrangements. Sounds morbid maybe but while Mom was making arrangements for Dad's burial, she also took care of her own. It made a difficult situation a bit easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement