U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:39 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,873,820 times

Advertisements

Most of the pre-retirement discussion seems focused on concerns that one will 'never' be able to afford to retire ... or that one will have to live under a bridge and eat cat food.

Yet, most of the actual retirees on this forum seem to be doing quite well. Perhaps concerns about future retirement are exaggerated by media focus and the uncertainty of the future (?)

We didn't do anything particularly unusual to plan or prepare for retirement, except, live within our means, without building-up more debt that we could pay --- or simply 'blowing' a lot of money. I guess we also stayed together, stayed employed and maxed-out my 401K, plus her pension. Finally, we simply decided to retire (early for me). I've got to admit, all of the 'Retirement Planning' advertising made me a little nervous, but, I've never been a 'worrier.'

(I'm not much of an investor, so no 'great shakes' there), but, 6+ years into retirement, I find that we have more steady income than I had imagined we would have; plus sufficient savings for whatever we might want in the foreseeable future.

Has 'Retirement planning anxiety' got folks more worried than they really need to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 03:33 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,066,874 times
Well I am some what shocked that I am better off than planned; especially considering 2008 crash. Its kind of as if worse planned events happened and hedges taken came thru above expectations.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,587,787 times
We are better off. Just seemed to happen.

We re so used to living below our means we aren't
Splurging as I'd hoped.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:34 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,339,600 times
We are doing very well in retirement. Contrary to many, we retired early, began collecting SS, have two great defined benefit pensions, military pension, military health benefits, two hefty 401Ks which we haven't touched, no mortgage and are living the dream. Only planning we did was max out our 401Ks and live within our means and no debts, especially credit card debt.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:37 PM

21,552 posts, read 44,115,619 times
Got a lot of answers on this very Q, a few months ago, here:

So you planned;did it all fall in place?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,084,074 times
For those who have time to post on C-D life is good. The rest ... (and many of our comrades) are busy working / caring for spouses / kids / or dealing with health issues). or... They are off enjoying retirement !

Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,873,820 times
The representative trend of this (and the similar thread referenced above), seems to be that by the time folks retire, most get things pretty well worked-out. I'm sure there are some who get unexpectedly downsized before they are ready to retire ... and find themselves unprepared.

But, there also seems to be a great deal of 'pre-retirement anxiety' among those who haven't yet reached retirement. Thus, I can't help, but, wonder - for the sake of those not yet retired, if 'retirement planning anxiety' isn't worse than the reality of actually retiring.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:44 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,538,376 times
Default Are you better off than you thought you would be in retirement?

Nope! But we're not worse off either.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,772,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
But, there also seems to be a great deal of 'pre-retirement anxiety' among those who haven't yet reached retirement. Thus, I can't help, but, wonder - for the sake of those not yet retired, if 'retirement planning anxiety' isn't worse than the reality of actually retiring.
It seems to me there is a great divide on this matter; we are divided into those that have pensions and those that don't. Those of us with secure pensions, and who worked long enough in that particular pension system to make the amount halfway decent, don't need to experience "pre-retirement anxiety" and are not surprised when things turn out fine financially.

But for the other camp, the question of living long enough to become destitute is a nagging and troubling one. And age 85 or 90 would be a horrible time to be destitute. (Not that there is a "good" time, but lots of us were close to destitute working our way through college and it didn't bother us because we knew better times were coming.)

I feel fortunate that I never had to worry about the "what if?" question: "What if I live to 90 or beyond?" Personally I don't expect to and don't want to, but if I do finances will not be among my problems.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,066,874 times
No; in fact less than half my income comes from a pension system. There was a good PBS program a few years ago which showed the difference in pension and 410K out comes. It was management of the fund. Two exactly same 410K. maxed out. One 401k retired with best retirement and pension second. The last was 401k not paid attention to by the retiree. The problem is in managing investments; for most as we are use to pension funds managing them.Lately a lot of pension funds can't meet their future obligations because they are under funded by government or companies. I remember when Gulf Oil was sold. The pension fund was worth more than the company and way over funded.The unions sued saying they deserved the funds but their contract was for guaranteed amount and they loss.I have two friends who retirement amounted mostly to money they got on sell of their multi business ownings. One has SS additional; the other none. Both are very well off. One had business degree the other only high school. Both however are no dummies and put in long hours especially starting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or