Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I live in a resort area. Plenty to do during the summer. So bored during the winter I took a part time job.
Mrs. Tek tells the story about all the prople where she worked that were avid golfers. In Iowa. When asked what they were going to do when they retired the response was, "Golf every day". Anything else? "Nope".

That covers about 6-7 months out of the year in Iowa - in a mild year. So what do they plan on for winter? No response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Congratulations! - I remember walking out the door 8/22/2008 (61) and thinking, "I NEVER have to go back to work again ... for the rest of my life!" -- It's almost too difficult to get one's mind around after working for the past 40+ years.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Don't know if I am ready for this or not but here goes.

Butterflies in the stomach and all.

Thought I would work another year or two but I've had it.
We somehow instinctively know when we're done, healthwise in our body or mind or both. Retirement really is a huge milestone, maybe larger than any other. As others here say, one step at a time. Post tomorrow morning when you wake up late with NOTHING you have to do other than shave (or not) and break-fast (or not) and walk the dog (er, better do that). One word of advice: lose your calendar!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:25 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Best wishes for a happy retirement. Mine was 01-05-2009. Little scary at first as I had worked close to 50 years both as a civilian and in the military. No desire to return to the work scene, never went back to visit the old office place or see former work mates. Enjoy your new world.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
... what do I do for the rest of the day? Never mind, I'll find something.
as long as we do not find you back here today...

Plenty of fun to be had. (I would go get some Ice Cream)

4 more days until retirement #4 for me. (Retire early, Retire often)

I too just said "Enough already". That will last for a few seasons... then back doing something.

Gonna do a 'RTW' Round-the-world 12 month trip next yr, (Southern Hemisphere)

Have a blast and enjoy the break, That 'retirement' home may just pop up as a bargain since you will have more time to look

I was not planning to, but bought 3 last week, One is a serious 'fixer', that will give me something to do this winter. (And have rented out by Spring). All are view homes in retirement centric communities. (with a separate guest house for me). 2 were under $100k,

Old 12-12-2014, 01:28 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Don't know if I am ready for this or not but here goes.

Butterflies in the stomach and all.

Thought I would work another year or two but I've had it.
Congratulations. I also thought I would do another two years, but didn't wait. There are so many things I want to do for me, and 8+ hours a day for someone else was interfering.

Good luck and enjoy.

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
In the meantime what do I do for the rest of the day? Never mind, I'll find something.
Start exploring what you love to do, get some hobbies, join some clubs, exercise more, and have fun!

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Quote:
66 year old man's stress got to me.

Looking at my financial condition I realize if I don't buy a vacation home I don't have to work. Duh?

I'll apply for social security and see what happens.

In the meantime what do I do for the rest of the day? Never mind, I'll find something.
You can do "whatever you want" . That's my answer to those who can't resist asking me , " what do you do all day?" ...lol...

Old 12-12-2014, 01:42 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
If I were you, first thing I would do... if you have not already signed up for ACA, is to do that. The deadline is coming. Even though you have a little more time because you no longer(?) have employer Healthcare coverage, you should get this done.

I left at the end of September. I am working on creating software (funny enough - related to retirement) and while I do that, I am gaging my spending to be sure that the budget I have created for the rest of my life is accurate by comparing my current three mounts of spending to the plan.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:01 PM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
Congratulations. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement