Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:21 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,003,433 times

Advertisements

I think retirement, and being happy about it, is an absolute disaster. To me it is synonymous with irrelevance, nearing death, getting old, being out of the loop of life, and vegetating in a wait state for the lights to go off. And futzing and puttering around with golf or pottery or the piano or the garden shed is a fate worse than death. Yes, I am in a miniscule minority, probably because I love my profession. I seriously want to work every day until my last. The thought of sitting around the house fussing over idle hobbies would drive me to open a business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 PM

14,883 posts, read 12,041,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Don't know if I am ready for this or not but here goes.

Butterflies in the stomach and all.

Thought I would work another year or two but I've had it.
Congratulations and welcome to the rest of your life!!!

Old 12-12-2014, 02:39 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,874,516 times
Congratulations. Why don't you celebrate by taking a vacation. January is a great time to go someplace. Should be cheap, as its kind of dead this kind of year, after Christmas that is.

Don't let anyone put a guilt trip on you. Some enjoy their jobs, as I do. But others, like my wife suffer. We're counting the days till she can leave.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,394,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
In the meantime what do I do for the rest of the day?
Whatever you darn well please.

(And take a hammer to your alarm clock )

Old 12-12-2014, 02:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,498,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes, I am in a miniscule minority, probably because I love my profession. I seriously want to work every day until my last. The thought of sitting around the house fussing over idle hobbies would drive me to open a business!
Good for you, do what makes you happy! You will still grow old and the lights will go out, but perhaps the work will keep you distracted from thinking about it.

I've posted ad nauseum about how much I enjoyed working, and how much I am enjoying retirement.
Ditto DH.

It was similar to when we married. We were in our early 30's when we met and married. We each enjoyed being single and we now enjoy being a couple.

IOW, happy people tend to carry their happiness into the next stage of life. We don't have activities that would normally be called a hobby (unless travel, cooking, and enjoying live theatre count?). Sometimes I think I should take up a hobby because I envy those who get so much enjoyment from them. But then we have no trouble finding productive and/or enjoyable ways to spend time. The days go by very quickly.

niceT4, congratulations and enjoy!

Old 12-12-2014, 03:09 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,866,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think retirement, and being happy about it, is an absolute disaster. To me it is synonymous with irrelevance, nearing death, getting old, being out of the loop of life, and vegetating in a wait state for the lights to go off. And futzing and puttering around with golf or pottery or the piano or the garden shed is a fate worse than death. Yes, I am in a miniscule minority, probably because I love my profession. I seriously want to work every day until my last. The thought of sitting around the house fussing over idle hobbies would drive me to open a business!
Are you the one who wrote somewhere else that retiring from work is also retiring from life? I'm glad you realize you are in a rather small minority so at least you're not expecting a bunch of us to jump in to agree. Your choice of course.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:12 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,866,014 times
Default Yep, there is no contradiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've posted ad nauseum about how much I enjoyed working, and how much I am enjoying retirement.
Ditto DH.

It was similar to when we married. We were in our early 30's when we met and married. We each enjoyed being single and we now enjoy being a couple.

IOW, happy people tend to carry their happiness into the next stage of life.
Excellent point that there doesn't have to be any contradiction.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:15 PM

1,204 posts, read 869,912 times
Congrats to you. Jim retired on 7/5/2011 to facilitate taking care of his mom. Best thing that happen to him, her and I.

He has this wonderful ability to be just as content being busy or lounging with the dogs. While I threaten to make him go back to work, won't do that to him/us, as he has settled right in to the retired life.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:17 PM

808 posts, read 1,174,723 times
Congratulations. May you have a long, happy, healthy retirement!

Old 12-12-2014, 03:19 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,093,306 times
Good for you, I hope you enjoy your retirement and I'm sure there is plenty you can find to do with your time.
From our home to yours we wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement