Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

OP I had a worker's comp claim and collected workers comp, then collected state disability, while appealing Soc Sec disability denial. I eventually got it, but would not have without my wonderful attorney. She was worth the small percentage that Soc Sec allows attorneys.

I also got a referral from NOSSCR.org.

I ended up not qualifying for SSDI because of not having enough recent work credits or some such, but I did qualify for SSI. When I reach retirement age, it will convert to regular Soc Sec retirement benefits (I have enough lifetime working credits), and I've been told the amount will be the same. I currently get $877/month. I'm 58.

You will qualify for subsidized senior housing, though, as I do, and even though $877 sounds really paltry, it's workable. I don't even have Section 8 yet, and my rent is only $335. Once I get my Section 8 voucher, my rent will go down to around $200. My healthcare is free here in CA, I get Medi-Cal.

Anyway, get an attorney, and don't worry about the money paid to the attorney. You might not get anything without them. They're worth it.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 06:49 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie0202 View Post
Received the denial a few days ago in the mail.
Work part time, average 21 hrs a week and that's pushing it for me. I could never do cashiering full time, they'd be scraping me off the floor.
Great ! File the appeal/Request for Hearing and get an attorney. A good attorney will look over your work history, determine the skills, mental and physical requirements of the clerical job, confirm that your medical records support the alleged impairments and, if necessary, obtain medical opinions from your treating physician(s). You tried going it alone, now it is time to hire the attorney.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Another thing I forgot to add; I started working part time while going to school. I have maybe 2 years total that have -0-, 1 when my son was born & another when he was going to kindergarten & I couldn't find a part time babysitter. I was so ashamed to be on welfare that year but the child came first.

The point being that I had more than enough credits & thankfully I had a fairly good paying job for the 5 years prior to the accident/disability so I get enough to live on (1259.00 a month) & when I'm 65 I was informed that my previous employer will be giving me a small pension.

With my disability & being on SSDI, I am eligible for an income based apartment so I will be just fine. The one thing I did do with my back pay was to buy a decent car & paid in full, & any high ticket items I felt I needed or wanted. I also was able to pay back my family for supporting me through that time. It felt so good to get that worry off my mind.

Yes, the lawyer received his share but 25 percent of nothing is nothing, so that was the chance he took & it also makes the lawyer do the best job he/she can do. Every one I have talked to says that a lawyer is the only way to go. It makes sense when you think of it. There are so many scams in this world & SS needs to know the claim is legitimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement