Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
...My LASIK was the bees' knees ... until several years later. But I knew that going in, and for those some years when I didn't need to wear coke-bottle glasses (or glasses, at all!!! :-D) it was marvelous. I now have multi-focal lens glasses, but even now I have better overall vision than the day before I had LASIK....

I'm sorry that your improved eyesight didnt last. Would you mind sharing why?

I had LASIK in early 2005. Before that, I had 20/600 vision in my good eye and had worn coke-bottle-bifocals since the age of 5. I elected to have monovision -- that's where one eye is corrected for distance vision and the other eye is corrected for close-up vision. It was a difficult adjustment for me and I had headaches for 6 months. However, after that timeframe, I loved it -- and still do.

The LASIK was expensive -- $5,000 -- but worth every penny. I dont need reading glasses and my eyesight is just as good today as it was right after the surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 04:29 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I am 65 and have never had any "work done". That said, I am considering some more conservative procedures such as the mini jaw lift along with blepharoplasty under my eyes in a few years or when I turn 70. I would want to find a very conservative surgeon - I have seen some who have had these procedures and you really can't tell - the person just looks fresher and rested. I think full face lifts are too severe; and as said they don't last. Best to put off plastic surgery as long as possible so you don't end up "re-doing."

Old 12-25-2014, 04:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am 65 and have never had any "work done". That said, I am considering some more conservative procedures such as the mini jaw lift along with blepharoplasty under my eyes in a few years or when I turn 70. I would want to find a very conservative surgeon - I have seen some who have had these procedures and you really can't tell - the person just looks fresher and rested. I think full face lifts are too severe; and as said they don't last. Best to put off plastic surgery as long as possible so you don't end up "re-doing."
I would imagine that the older we get, 65 and 70 etc, elective surgery has more risk of things going wrong, either in the surgical procedure itself or in the aftermath/results.

I often wonder whether, if changes could be accomplished by some high-tech noninvasive thing like laser blast, lol, I would consider making any dramatic feature changes at my age. My European face, changed to make me look like a kewpie doll, would be hilariously funny on me, to say nothing of total disorientation (mine and others'). With computer imaging, anything would be possible, and if easy and virtually risk-free, would I do it? Would you?

Old 12-25-2014, 04:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!

Old 12-25-2014, 05:17 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
I had reconstructive plastic surgery. The recovery did not go well. Maybe it was the 1 in 10000 risk, or my age, or the weather, or whatever. But I have terrible scar tissue from badly healing sutures.

Therefore I would not have elective surgery of any kind.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
My 64 yr friend did in Jan 2014...$17K, researched the Sante Fe doc a lot...
uses lasers.
She looks great a yr later, she is thrilled.
Just wanted to mention this.

2 other friends did too, at 61...$10k...very happy! No neck involved.
The other was 70, way more done, looks fabulous 2 yrs later...don't know cost.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:02 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Did you have a complete facelift or blepharoplasty or . . .what?

I think you are wise for selecting a surgeon who is conservative.

I have casual acquaintance type friends who have had extensive work done but they won't reveal what. They look terrific, and one in particular - it has been nearly 10 years - she still looks younger than she did before the surgery. She is about 70 now.
Because of my Asian blood I had the eye lift when I was 33 yrs old and it is still nice - I'm 63 now. I had the upper facelift in my early 40's - extreme migraine headaches and my forehead was a mess. Everyone was always asking me why I was angry. The upper face lift cured that. Then, I had the neck, lower face lift when I was about 50 and now, I think I am about needing another one of those. But all the rest looks terrific. I've had doctors tell me that who ever did my "lift" did a great job. So I think the conservative surgeon was a good choice. No lip implants or any of that; they use cow ligaments!!!! and I'm a vegetarian. No no no no no!!!!

Old 12-25-2014, 08:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My 64 yr friend did in Jan 2014...$17K, researched the Sante Fe doc a lot...
uses lasers. .
What exactly can lasers do? Just for skin?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:23 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What exactly can lasers do? Just for skin?
All sorts of things; older lasers did certain things, new lasers up and coming. Even I can't keep up with it. But a laser treatment is not as invasive as surgery with a facelift for instance. As I mentioned, I love the laser that does the deep skin collegan stimulation. Then there are treatments to both lightly and deeply do skin resurfacing. Also, in the hands of a physician who knows what he is doing the permanent hair removal laser works with several treatments. All this is expensive; price depends on the treatment. Do some research - it's fascinating and it works.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I had CO2 laser full face when they first came out. I was a mess for about 2 weeks but after that, I looked very good. Sorta like Samantha on Sex in the City. Ha! Then a few years later I went back and had Yag laser around my mouth which stripped all the melatin and left me with large pores and no color above and below my mouth. Nothing covers that. No cosmetics. So my mouth looks much older than the rest of my face. I had fraxel about 2 years ago and it was extremely painful. It was 6 sessions but I never went back for the last one. I am done with lasers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement