Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:17 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I'm getting ready to retire. I will have a defined benefit, and will get social security, plus have some invested...

I will have plenty to live on, but am wondering what you folks think is a reasonable retirement monthly budget based on some assumptions.

1. My health care will cost $400 month. Good health care.
2. My dental, eyeglasses, etc. i will have to pay out of pocket.
3. Rent I assume will remain around 1200 month. I don't own and have no plans to.
4. Fixed costs are the usual and I'm assuming internet, maintenance of 10 year old car...probably 10,000 miles a year...
5. Food of course with s ome eating out, but generally nothing too extravagant...
6. I do like to take several domestic trips a year...let's assume 3 trips at 1,000 apiece and one abroad at 3,000 .

I don't have all expenses listed, but I think you get the idea...

What, to you, is maybe a minimum, moderate, high budget.....??

Thanks for your help. I have a number in mind, but am curious as to what others think....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 03:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
What about utilities, entertainment, life insurance maybe, renters insurance maybe, pets?, co pays, gas, medical over the counter stuff, shopping, credit cards, and other stuff that just happens?

With a $1200 a month rent budget and $400 in health care, I would think you would need $4000 a month. Or maybe more. Alot of maybes in this. I could do it on $50000 and have some left. JMHO

Old 12-16-2014, 04:04 PM

No life insurance or renters insurance..some co-pays, sure gas, food, etc...too much to list.

Just trying to get some opinions...and I've already mentioned two of the biggest "fixed" costs..rent of 1200 and health care of 400/mo.

Thx for any ideas.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:08 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
ever notice your expenses actually clock in sooooo much more than the ones you think of?

we set our retirement budget at 2x our non-descreationary spending. we like going places and doing things and time cost money. in retirement the one thing we will have plenty of is time.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:21 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Howdy,

I'm getting ready to retire. I will have a defined benefit, and will get social security, plus have some invested...

I will have plenty to live on, but am wondering what you folks think is a reasonable retirement monthly budget based on some assumptions.

3. Rent I assume will remain around 1200 month. I don't own and have no plans to.
4. Fixed costs are the usual and I'm assuming internet, maintenance of 10 year old car...probably 10,000 miles a year...
5. Food of course with s ome eating out, but generally nothing too extravagant...
6. I do like to take several domestic trips a year...let's assume 3 trips at 1,000 apiece and one abroad at 3,000 .

Thanks for your help. I have a number in mind, but am curious as to what others think....
This can not be answered with the info. I would say you will at least spend what you spend now. Don't forget inflation
Search Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida for budget info. You should get some insight from the posts.
Look at your credit card and bank statements to see what you are now spending.
Be sure to budget a new car and any other big expense you will have. Also an emergency fund.
You might need more help as you age.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I'd look for budget to be near same as now .You will save some here and spend more there. Otherwise not really possible over internet. If you need to make cuts then record ALL spending over three months then look at what you can cut. from the list.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the responses...keep 'em coming. Just to reveal a little...I am budgeting for about what I take home now. Perhaps 5-10% less.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:40 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
I'd guess at least $4K a month before taxes based on the expenses you listed. Maybe $5K or more, especially if you include big expenses like replacing a car and dental expenses (dental expenses can be significant for older folks). And if you are single and most of your retirement income is taxable, federal income taxes in retirement will not decrease significantly unless you are low income. The average pre-tax income for a single person in their 60's is less than $40K a year but your rent and travel expenses alone are greater than "average." I'd recommend tracking your expenses for a year prior to retirement or do a good scrub of last years's spending to get a handle on how much you spend, what expenses might decrease, and what expenses might increase in retirement. Based on your listed expenses, my vote is:

Minimum $4K a month
Moderate $5K a month
High $6K a month or more

Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I'd guess at least $4K a month before taxes based on the expenses you listed. Maybe $5K or more, especially if you include big expenses like replacing a car and dental expenses (dental expenses can be significant for older folks). And if you are single and most of your retirement income is taxable, federal income taxes in retirement will not decrease significantly unless you are low income. The average pre-tax income for a single person in their 60's is less than $40K a year but your rent and travel expenses alone are greater than "average." I'd recommend tracking your expenses for a year prior to retirement or do a good scrub of last years's spending to get a handle on how much you spend, what expenses might decrease, and what expenses might increase in retirement. Based on your listed expenses, my vote is:

Minimum $4K a month
Moderate $5K a month
High $6K a month or more
Exactly what I'm thinking. And I'll be able to afford 6k a month. Not necessarily a whole lot more than that though. And I do have some cash stashed for things like a car replacement, etc...

The thing is...this would happen at 62..and I'm including early Social Security...Waiting for an increased social security benefit and $300 a month increased take home per month from my defined benefit doesn't seem worth it given the tradeoff of not working..or choosing to work part-time, etc...not sure I want to sacrifice the next 4-5 years working and then be 67 but only have increased my take home to maybe 7.5k a month instead of 6k...

I mean I'm thinking to go ahead and enjoy the time between 62-67 even though it will mean less for a lifetime, but not "significantly" less...by the time I"m 67, many things can happen healthwise, etc...and I don't want to regret having the five years between 62 and 67 of financial freedom and doing what I want...

If only we could see the future...

Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Howdy,

I think min of $4K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement