U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:42 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,127,102 times

Advertisements

Also staying put..The closest watering hole is miles and miles away...we celebrate at home....probably go to sleep early and wake up at midnight when people start shooting their guns.... I hate that....Happy New Year and Birthdays to those having them!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,672,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Also staying put..The closest watering hole is miles and miles away...we celebrate at home....probably go to sleep early and wake up at midnight when people start shooting their guns.... I hate that....Happy New Year and Birthdays to those having them!!

It's fireworks here on New Years throughout the neighborhoods, it's legal here. The dog will sit as close as he can get with the louder booms.

We're staying home, watching a movie or two with the Christmas tree lights on one last night before we take it down tomorrow. In my family, we always had a pot of navy beans on New Years Day, believing a humble start leads to a prosperous year later on. Somehow I started making Hoppin' John with black eyed peas and swapped out the bacon with a couple of chipotles in adobo sauce for a bit of kick and smokiness, that's my version of the beans. I'll have that on the stove as I put decorations away and start the year all over once again.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:14 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,921,160 times
We just returned from a Christmas Week Caribbean cruise and are now working on finalizing our trip to Fiji, Australia & New Zealand which begins two weeks from Monday, so we decided to stay in this evening and relax for the most part. I just made a couple of eggnog & Captain Morgan drinks for DW & I to quaff as we get ready to watch a movie on Netflix. We'll then turn on one of the NYE shows on network tv before stepping out on our balcony just before midnight and watching the fireworks display across Biscayne Bay in downtown Miami.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:30 PM

1,579 posts, read 582,546 times
Happy Birthday, New England Girl!
Here in AZ we have been getting a lot of snow today, in the higher elevations. Here in the Phoenix area it has been damp and rainy, with a high of only @40 today. Tonight is a perfect night to use our new electric fireplace stove we got for inside our fireplace. We have a lot of "No burn" nights, like tonight, when you are not allowed to use your fireplace due to air pollution. So we will be home tonight, just relaxing, with an electric fire!
Watch out for this cold rainy weather coming east, folks!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:01 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
Happy Birthday NEGirl....and wishing all of you the best year ever in 2015! One good thing, being on the west coast, I think I can watch the ball drop in NYC at 9 pm when I can still stay awake, unless the networks do a delay! It's been down to 32 degrees here in SoCal so we are getting some chilly weather, I love it because I can wear my fall sweaters! Take care and be safe....

Old 12-31-2014, 06:18 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
Happy New Year and Happy Birthdays!

I live in Vegas and they are predicting snow tonight. I will be safe at home. I don't have to be out with all the drunks. Will probably watch the fireworks on TV.

We are making turkey soup tonight. The real thing from scratch using stock I made at Thanksgiving. Pizza, also homemade, for dinner. And the champagne is chilling on the patio. The dogs had their special meal, a whole bunch of new toys, and marrow bones. They are beside themselves!

We only went out once today to deliver our last donations for the year.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:12 AM

25,056 posts, read 23,942,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I haven't gone out on NY's Eve in decades, just too scary to drive. Going food shopping early today then putting on a pot of chili. Below zero tonight, so watching movies, snuggling with dogs, and going to bed early
Hope you all have a safe, healthy, and prosperous 2015!
I haven't gone out on New Year's Eve in decades, either. I ate some pulled pork, cheese and crackers and a few shrimp. I fell asleep on the couch, but woke up at about 11:30. I watched the big city on TV and drank a glass of champagne--with a lower case c because it was domestic and not from France.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:52 AM

19,821 posts, read 19,916,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
We currently live in a country club community, mostly older folks (though not legally a 55+), and for the festivities at the clubhouse on New Years Eve, they "drop the ball" at 10 p.m. because the old timers can't stay up till 12.

This is funny!
Understandable and delightfully innovative but funny too.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:50 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Happy Birthday. NEG

Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 AM

14,407 posts, read 7,932,198 times
We took two shorties ice skating with us yesterday. It was two hours of high octane fun. One shortie spent the night with us and it was nice having quality one on one time with her. She's still asleep and we are taking her to the movies later this afternoon. We have a new kitten and I didn't want to leave him or her for long periods with our two dogs. Our friend came by for a couple of minutes to see the kitten. He was on duty and couldn't stay long. I wanted to get a picture of him holding the kitten but he wouldn't let me because he's too much of a tough guy. John and I watched a few scenes from Top Hat, it's kind of a tradition for us to watch it on New Years Eve but there wasn't much time until way early into the new year. Next year we will probably have 4 shorties for a sleep over. It was our 30th New Years Eve together. Kind of sweet holding hands and reminiscing about the good old days. Or are we still in the good old days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or