U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes, but when I checked my state, Texas, it appears that not only are we paying high property taxes, among the highest in the country, we also pay for trash and car registration separately. We also pay 8.25% sales tax. Plus many of our highways which used to be free are becoming toll roads: Hwy 290, Hwy 249, and a couple of others I can't recall. However, we don't pay a state income tax. And we have an overall low pay scale in relation to the rest of the country. We also have lousy schools; ranked 48th. I wonder where all this money goes. I bet many other Texans wonder the same thing
In my NEng state, schools account for about 62% or two-thirds of the municipal budgets. That is outrageous esp in places that have cut their police force. Much is probably admin salaries and pensions. I advocate a return to one-room schoolhouses. Learn a lot more most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 02:45 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,476,475 times
Our property tax bill is only broken into two parts. One for the house, and one for the land.

School, PD / FD, trash, rescue, library, are all included into that one mil-rate.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:07 PM

6,569 posts, read 7,996,310 times
Just want to reiterate for those folks seeming to find differences in today's rates from those on the map: the map shows an average over a 5 year period 2007 to 2011. I can imagine that there have been some local changes by the time 2014 rolled around.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:21 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just want to reiterate for those folks seeming to find differences in today's rates from those on the map: the map shows an average over a 5 year period 2007 to 2011. I can imagine that there have been some local changes by the time 2014 rolled around.
And I want to reiterate that those are not now nor were they ever official rates of taxation; they are simply self-reported taxes paid by individuals and may have no reflection whatsoever on what the official millage rate may be.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:42 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,777,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The bolded section above does occur in some places....they're called tourists.
Very true! In SC, second home owners and businesses pay ALL of the school taxes.....that's right! Residents who live in their primary residence pay ZERO school tax. They can have 852 kids going to school and they pay nothing.....sucks to be a second home owner or business there. Many people complain, but the law was changed this millennium so it's not going to change without a HUGE fight from residents.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes, but when I checked my state, Texas, it appears that not only are we paying high property taxes, among the highest in the country, we also pay for trash and car registration separately. We also pay 8.25% sales tax. Plus many of our highways which used to be free are becoming toll roads: Hwy 290, Hwy 249, and a couple of others I can't recall. However, we don't pay a state income tax. And we have an overall low pay scale in relation to the rest of the country. We also have lousy schools; ranked 48th. I wonder where all this money goes. I bet many other Texans wonder the same thing
All those new roads and new schools for the influx of residents cost big bucks. Residents are pretty much paying for everything since there isn't an income tax. You can't get through life without taxes if you want things like roads, schools,l libraries, fire departments, police departments, etc. Retirement accounts and healthcare costs for current and past employees eat up a significant portion of every budget. I've seen school budgets were those 2 items were 2/3 of the school budget!! That's INSANE!

Your property taxes are actually pretty cheap compared to most of the northeast. I was looking at a house someone posted on here the other day and it was selling for around $550K. The taxes were only about $10K maybe $12...In my part of NY, you pay that on a house that worth around $300K. Sales tax ranges from 7.5%-8% usually. And we have income tax. Plus vehicle registrations. And most municipalities now don't include trash pick up because they can't afford it unless the raise taxes even more. Our town doesn't. We also don't have a town tax, but we do have school taxes, county tax, library tax, fire tax, and quarterly bills for water and sewer. Nothing in life is free.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In other towns I have lived in, the fire tax and trash fee were part of the total property tax bill. My small town (you can walk from one end to the other) we have not one but two fire depts, not one but two fire chiefs making a large salary, so we have to pay the salaries and pensions of many staff. This fire tax, lifted out of the property tax, is what they do to go over the cap.
Many municipalities have gotten away from including fire, library, and trash from their taxes because they simply can't fund everything. Don't move to Tennessee! There if you don't pay your fire tax bill and your house is on fire, the fire department will show up to watch it burn dow...and prevent it from spreading to those who have paid. Crazy! This was a big news story a couple of years ago.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:02 PM

11,270 posts, read 8,443,069 times
Thanks! That's awesome!

Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Very true! In SC, second home owners and businesses pay ALL of the school taxes.....that's right! Residents who live in their primary residence pay ZERO school tax. They can have 852 kids going to school and they pay nothing.....sucks to be a second home owner or business there. Many people complain, but the law was changed this millennium so it's not going to change without a HUGE fight from residents.
Hey, I kind of like that setup, being a one-home owner myself. Maybe I'll look into SC.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:16 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,526,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Don't move to Tennessee! There if you don't pay your fire tax bill and your house is on fire, the fire department will show up to watch it burn dow...and prevent it from spreading to those who have paid. Crazy! This was a big news story a couple of years ago.
I remember that story. Happened right at the height of the Tea Party movement--> A bunch of people whining that they shouldn't have to pay for something they don't use. Then this story comes out and guess what? They're all whining about how cruel the fire department was for not saving the guy's house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or