U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,768,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I remember that story. Happened right at the height of the Tea Party movement--> A bunch of people whining that they shouldn't have to pay for something they don't use. Then this story comes out and guess what? They're all whining about how cruel the fire department was for not saving the guy's house.
People want everything for free....sorry but that's not how the world works! If you don't pay your water bill, they shut off your water. Same concept as the fire department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 AM

4,485 posts, read 3,318,359 times
I live in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, and there's no borough, no state property tax and the towns don't levy taxes here...yet somehow it's medium blue. Mysterious. Or just inaccurate. Unless I'm missing something.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:54 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,956,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In other towns I have lived in, the fire tax and trash fee were part of the total property tax bill. My small town (you can walk from one end to the other) we have not one but two fire depts, not one but two fire chiefs making a large salary, so we have to pay the salaries and pensions of many staff. This fire tax, lifted out of the property tax, is what they do to go over the cap.

Now we have to purchase our trash bags, pay an annual trash fee (not cheap), AND pay for a dump sticker. We are also paying for the losses on a town-owned golf course and for a library and school that are costing twice the amount of similar buildings in nearby towns.

As we can see, it takes a ton of detailed research to really ferret out the cost of living in a particular place. Nothing is as simple as we'd like to believe, and there are tradeoffs galore in relocating.
If you live in larger metro areas these costs are easier to learn about. There are substantial costs for living in the mid-sized and smaller town (sub 40,000 population).

Sorry you've got a corrupt local government that's bent on taking as much money as it can and wasting it. I had one of those in Iowa. Awful people eating from the public trough.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:58 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Very true! In SC, second home owners and businesses pay ALL of the school taxes.....that's right! Residents who live in their primary residence pay ZERO school tax. They can have 852 kids going to school and they pay nothing.....sucks to be a second home owner or business there. Many people complain, but the law was changed this millennium so it's not going to change without a HUGE fight from residents.
IF you can afford a second home, the property taxes on that home are probably negligible.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
I am in a "dark" area. I can see how I will go broke in 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes, but when I checked my state, Texas, it appears that not only are we paying high property taxes, among the highest in the country, we also pay for trash and car registration separately. We also pay 8.25% sales tax. Plus many of our highways which used to be free are becoming toll roads: Hwy 290, Hwy 249, and a couple of others I can't recall. However, we don't pay a state income tax.
I live in a dark area (TX) too but our property and school tax was frozen the year I turned 65 so we're good. We also get a permanent senior exemption ($25k off the assessed value) which helps some.

We've been in the same house for 22 years now and aggressively disputed the assessment every year as a matter of course. Near as I can recall, we succeeded every year so that cumulatively held down the assessed value amount considerably. Starting about 18 months ago, there was a huge leap in home prices in our area which would have jacked up our assessment but luckily our "freeze" was retroactive to the first of the year in which I turned 65 so we skated.

We don't have a state income tax, we're not heavy consumers so don't pay much sales tax (groceries are exempt), our car registration fee is only about $65 a year per vehicle, and our trash, fire, water, etc. fees are negligible.

All that's a big reason why we decided to keep TX as our home domicile for retirement.

We do use toll roads a lot, have to do something to chip in our share.

Our only big gripe is homeowner's insurance but at least we're able to shop around for that.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:56 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,768,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
IF you can afford a second home, the property taxes on that home are probably negligible.
Totally not true at all! My aunt and uncle owns second home on the beach. It was fairly inexpensive and their taxes are well over $10K a year. Not exactly pocket change especially since he's retiring next month. There are plenty of areas in SC where you can buy a decent house for under $100k. Not a mansion, but it's still a livable house.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:22 AM

649 posts, read 554,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Very true! In SC, second home owners and businesses pay ALL of the school taxes.....that's right! Residents who live in their primary residence pay ZERO school tax. They can have 852 kids going to school and they pay nothing.....sucks to be a second home owner or business there. Many people complain, but the law was changed this millennium so it's not going to change without a HUGE fight from residents.
Not sure where you live in SC, but only the first 100k of value of the primary residence is exempt. Anything above that is taxed for schools. My taxes specifically shows how much went to schools.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Not sure where you live in SC, but only the first 100k of value of the primary residence is exempt. Anything above that is taxed for schools. My taxes specifically shows how much went to schools.
May I ask what % of your tax bill goes to schools?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
May I ask what % of your tax bill goes to schools?
More than in Mississippi... or so it would appear:
State-by-state SAT and ACT scores | Public Agenda

Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
More than in Mississippi... or so it would appear:
State-by-state SAT and ACT scores | Public Agenda
Are you suggesting that SAT scores are linked to taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or