U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,833,293 times

Advertisements

Today my husband got a letter supposedly from Social Security. It was saying he might be eligible for benefits (of course he is and knows that) and to check. Had "official looking" logo and address on it. I applied last November for mine to start this month, but since I'm not 66 he wouldn't qualify for spousal benefits. One other thing that made it look suspicious is that it looked as though the letter had been Xeroxed and then his name and address just printed on it. You know how you get black streaks when the copier drum is dirty? That's what it looked like.

I told him to ignore it and just shred it as he has no plans to apply until next January, and therefore I really can't remember the whole thing, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a scam going around like this? Or has anyone's spouse gotten this type of letter once the other one applied for SS? Somehow I can't imagine SS having to "recruit" people to apply!! They want you to wait as long as possible!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 06:07 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,254,648 times
I think "go w/your gut" they wouldn't send such a letter IMO. How old is your husband, can he not apply if applicable himself?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:19 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,274,913 times
Call your local SS office and report it. If a lot of people call, then at least SS will post it on their scam site on SSA.gov.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,252,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Today my husband got a letter supposedly from Social Security. It was saying he might be eligible for benefits (of course he is and knows that) and to check.

I told him to ignore it and just shred it as he has no plans to apply until next January, and therefore I really can't remember the whole thing, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a scam going around like this? Or has anyone's spouse gotten this type of letter once the other one applied for SS? Somehow I can't imagine SS having to "recruit" people to apply!! They want you to wait as long as possible!!
mmmKay.

Only government agency I've dealt with that uses paper, abacuses, and God knows what other 19th Century technology is the IRS. Haven't heard from them in a while, thankfully.

Last "letter" I received from Social Security Administration was c. 2010. Since, took it all online, as in "permanently." Using a lifetime email from an institution that will be around when I'm in the grass, my East Coast alma. Just logged back on, in fact, since the "password" expires every six months. POS website balked at a 128 bit password, no wonder the government's Affordable Care Act signup site didn't work for a year on-launch.

As one might expect, all the information they have on you related to Social Security is thereafter at your fingertips. I'm mid-40s and awhile from collecting anything, but like to confirm annually or so their records match mine.

Point being it's long since time to go online with all that. No ambiguity, it's a dot.gov site that can't easily be spoofed unless someone's a complete idiot or the government's been hacked. Whichever comes first.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 AM

8,187 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
...no wonder the government's Affordable Care Act signup site didn't work for a year on-launch.
You do know that the website was constructed by private sector computer "experts" under contract, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
...As one might expect, all the information they have on you related to Social Security is thereafter at your fingertips. I'm mid-40s and awhile from collecting anything, but like to confirm annually or so their records match mine.

Point being it's long since time to go online with all that. No ambiguity, it's a dot.gov site that can't easily be spoofed unless someone's a complete idiot or the government's been hacked. Whichever comes first.
No, it's not long since time. You're in your mid-40s and have grown up with computers; perhaps when you're eligible for Social Security it will be time, but there are many current recipients that have never used a computer, much less have online access. My 87-year-old father and 82-year-old mother wouldn't have the slightest idea how to access info on line. My father hasn't even ever used a cell phone much less a computer.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:56 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Today my husband got a letter supposedly from Social Security. It was saying he might be eligible for benefits (of course he is and knows that) and to check. Had "official looking" logo and address on it. I applied last November for mine to start this month, but since I'm not 66 he wouldn't qualify for spousal benefits. One other thing that made it look suspicious is that it looked as though the letter had been Xeroxed and then his name and address just printed on it. You know how you get black streaks when the copier drum is dirty? That's what it looked like.

Question, what were they asking or suggesting he do? Similar letters. Are often sent out by financial advisors trying to recruit people go come to their seminars and resulting sales pitch etc etc.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:09 PM

17 posts, read 16,354 times
Just ignore it. If there is a phone number other than the ss 800 number, you could call and tell them to take you off their mailing list.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:04 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,833,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Question, what were they asking or suggesting he do? Similar letters. Are often sent out by financial advisors trying to recruit people go come to their seminars and resulting sales pitch etc etc.
No, it wasn't a sales pitch. We get those all the time. This paper had the SS logo at the top and a 4 line address with some federal building in Boston, MA. As I said, I read parts of it but it sounded fishy so I just told him to shred it and not call any numbers on it or go to any website on it.

We both already have accounts online. I applied to start mine this month but he is still working part time and we decided to push his application off for a couple of years. He will apply for benefits starting next January after he is 64. Not full retirement age, but more than basic.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:42 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You do know that the website was constructed by private sector computer "experts" under contract, right?

No, it's not long since time. You're in your mid-40s and have grown up with computers; perhaps when you're eligible for Social Security it will be time, but there are many current recipients that have never used a computer, much less have online access. My 87-year-old father and 82-year-old mother wouldn't have the slightest idea how to access info on line. My father hasn't even ever used a cell phone much less a computer.
But as shown in congressional hearings the government insisted on constant changes that in the end resulted in most of the problems. They also failed to inform those needing help to seek a insurance brokers at no cost that could guide them thru buying from exchanges.Previuosly the government has d used private contractors to rollout the Prescription drug program in Medicare which went much smoother; even dealing with 65 plus exclusively.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:07 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,049,866 times
I have my letter from SS about the COL increase. On the envelope under the return address it says "Official business" "penalty for Private use $300" .
In the place where the stamp goes there is a box that says "First class mail presorted postage and fees paid Social Security Administration Permit NO G-11. All sorts of SS identifiers on the back of the envelope.
If your letter is officially from SS it should have similar indicators.
Plus somewhere on there it should have the government form number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement