U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 04:59 PM

8,417 posts, read 9,168,115 times

Advertisements

On a related note:

I was at presentation by a pharmaceutical expert. I was an Adult Services social worker at the time. The presenter was talking about drug interactions. Towards the end of the talk, he told us that in many cases the moderate use of alcohol could produce the same beneficial effects as some relaxation and sleep medications, but without the side-effects of the drugs.

Makes sense. My deceased FIL had a shot and a beer each day. No Ambien. No Xanax. Just some diabetes medication. When he went into a nursing home, I supplied a bottle of Jack Daniel's and a six pack of KeyStone's finest on a weekly basis. (What he liked). He died six month's later at age 92. That was his only "medication".
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:07 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,226,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
the problem with this thread is the interchangeable use of terms. Nursing home, retirement home, assisted living...... an assumption that the residents in question are old people or, even worse, confused old people.

Meo, I expect you were in a nursing home for rehabilitation. Someone, probably a dietitian who had access to your medical records, checked a box in your chart that said a portion of wine or beer was acceptable. I doubt you were going to be driving or operating heavy machinery.

I would like to read the bill. The article is confusing because the word "residents" could be either other facility residents or residents of the town. I think it's the latter. Someone came up to them on the street and said "What do you think about serving liquor to old people?" or something similar.

This is most likely a tax revenue situation that is being handled with care so as not to ruffle feathers. They asked the restaurant owner down the street from one facility if he thought it would affect his business which makes me think that some of the "old people" in question are going out for dinner and a drink.
"A bill making its way through the Legislature in the final days of the 2013-2014 legislative session would allow cities and towns to grant liquor licenses to continuing-care retirement facilities...

"The residential facilities that could be granted licenses offer housing to seniors living independently, as well as fully-assisted nursing units."

Cocktails at senior living facilities on horizon | WWLP.com
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or